“Good price, friendly staff, perfect location, surprisingly nice room”
Review of Silver Gull Motel

Silver Gull Motel
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good price, friendly staff, perfect location, surprisingly nice room”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Landed here when the HI Resort sold out for a conference I attended in October 2013. The location is ideal for anything you'd want to do while at Wrightsville Beach, on the same circle as Johnny Mercer's pier and just a skip and a jump over the bridge back into Wilmington.

I wasn't sure what to expect with it being a fairly old place and not much to look at from outside; single elevator from the parking level, inside hallways are painted cinder block, zero decor, and indoor/outdoor carpet (looks like a college dorm hallway), but was pleasantly surprised by the room (one of the "remodeled" ones). Nice tile in the bathroom and kitchenette, obviously new bathroom fixtures, exhaust fan. Not sure if the "old" rooms have them, but the "new" one has microwave, stovetop, full-size refrigerator, hair dryer, iron, and ironing board. Bedroom area is quite large, enough space for a rollaway or a couple of sleeping bags on the floor. All rooms have side ocean view.

Parking underneath the building is convenient (free, whereas parking on the circle street is pay meter) but tight with the support posts so take extra care in pulling in and backing out.

Everyone I saw or spoke with at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. Free espresso / coffee / cappuccino maker in the lobby.

Room Tip: As long as their renovation is still in progress, be sure to ask for a renovated room - worth the fe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RPinNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Silver Gull over the 4th of July weekend. I was really happy with our choice! The location is unbeatable-- right on the ocean. The rooms were great! Comfortable bed, flat screen TV, full kitchen with refrigerator and our own balcony. I was really happy with the room amenities. I was expecting your typical beach motel and this definitely exceeded my expectations. Price was great - I was surprised it was so cheap (~$209/ night for the king room we stayed in) If I am ever back in the area, I will definitely stay here again!

My only complaint was the fact that the hotel is located right off the public beach parking lot. When we arrived, we had to wait about 30 minutes just to pull up to the hotel lobby in our car, because the traffic was so backed up in the beach parking lot. This made us reluctant to drive at all during our stay, for fear that we'd have to sit in traffic on our way back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amacp
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed July 15, 2013

this was a great place to stay right on the beach, me & my husband were on a anniversary trip. the kitchenette and bathroom were newly remolded and looked beautiful the bedroom is older but very clean, both of the maids were very sweet and told us if we needed anything to let them know. the owners were also very kind and helped us find places to eat since we had never been to the area. don't shy away because of the slightly outdated motel exterior it is a excellent place to stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cbharris0515
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was very impressed with the staff at the Silver Gull Motel. Their good attitudes gave coupled with the reasonable rates make this motel a very responsible choice when enjoying the beaches and people of Wrightsville Beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RyMiPri
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have been coming here for years and have walked right past this place never considering staying here till I saw Trip Advisor reviews. We typically stay for a wk and rent a cottage or stay at a hotel in Wilmington for a wkend. Came down on a Tues-Thurs with my 16 yr old daughter and wanted to stay on the beach. Blockade Runner was full (+ 229 per night). Saw Silver Gull reviews and this place is great. $140-170 during the week. Pick the newly renovated rooms for $150 night- great efficiency, sleeps 4, very spacious and clean, full sized frig, microwave, 4 cup coffee pot .Ocean view from all rooms. We stayed on the pier side. Slept well, but will pick other side next time (more privacy and you don't see all the activity -unless you might want it). Staff here are so nice! I did have trouble with Internet connection on my laptop, but not my iPad (could have been my computer.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is a smoking floor and also has beach access from hotel so you don't have to go out th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Soosun3916
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This motel is in a great location. Wrightsville Beach is amazing as is North Carolina. The oceanfront view was amazing and the price was very affordable. I worked in hospitality and also took classes in hospitality. Everyone on here talks about the staff at the Silver Gull and how great Allen is. Well Allen prank phone called our room pretending to be the Wrightsville police. I feel he harassed us and I told him so. He is really something else, and would have been fired from the hotel I worked at. But, everyone else there was great-especially Ruth Ann. She was really a neat lady and I enjoyed every conversation I had with her. There is also a great bar across the beach parking called The Palm Room. I loved this bar, and the bartenders were the best! They open at 7 at night. If you are in Wrightsville Beach you need to go stop at The Palm Room. There is a bar next door-I forget the name but it isn't fun at all. Staff isn't very nice-The Palm Room is the place to g.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean front room. But if you are traveling in a group let them know so you don't get...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jodiwaldsmith
Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed at the Silver Gull over Memorial day weekend and it was amazing! This motel was much nicer than I had expected. The room we stayed in was very nice and clean. It had a private balcony with a view of the beach and pier, kitchenette with microwave, fridge and 2 burner stove top. The bathroom was very clean and newly remodeled. We stayed on the second floor so we just had to walk down the hall out the doors and the beach was right there! The bed was pretty comfortable, but we both arent that picky about our mattresses. Parking was free-they have a parking garage and overflow parking at the end of the street.

The staff was great...we were able to check in at 11am instead of 3pm, which was really nice. House keeping was friendly and they would leave fresh towels in a bag on the door if you had the 'do not disturb' sign up.

The motel is walking distance from some great restaurants and bars. We always had a nightly walk on the beach, which was very relaxing!

I do have to say if you don't like a lot of noise you should keep the balcony door shut. Some of the rooms on the pier view side can get noisey with all the people walking to the beach and parking. Plus there is a bar right across the street with some loud people!!!

My overall experience here was fantastic! I am very glad I found this motel and would definately recommend to anyone wanting an affordable place to stay on the beach!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Silver Gull Motel? Share your experiences!