“Avoid at all costs....”

Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
TailgateJeff
“Avoid at all costs....”
Reviewed November 17, 2009

You never know what you are going to get staying at a Choice brand hotel. Some are really nice and new, while others are not. This is one of the ones to avoid.

The hotel is very worn and outdated in both the room and the public areas. Our room was dusty, musty and just unclean. There was mold in the tub surround and on the ceiling. The carpet was worn and stained. The bed was broken down and warn.

In addition, there was a large and very loud party that had spilled out of the first floor meeting rooms with lots of beer drinking going on in the lobby and the parking lot.

There was some kind of food buffet set up in the lobby for the guests. It was an odd combination of Mexican and Indian foods. Anyhow, it was being served in the most unclean of conditions and good knows how long the food had been out sitting in the warming pans.

The hotel is also located in a very urban area. Looking at most of the neighboring businesses that had bars on their windows and doors, I'm guessing that crome is a problem.

I told the front desk that I wan't staying there because I wasn't happy with the hotel and they really didn't care. They told me that there were no refunds which I really didn't care about since I was staying there for free as part of the Choice Hotel Rewards program.

We used their computer in the "Business Center" to find another hotel and the computer was running Windows 97 on a dial up connection!

We ended up staying at the much nicer Comfort Inn and Suites.

Unless there is no other place to stay or you can't afford another hotel... stear clear of this one.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
TheFamilyGuy81, Manager at Quality Inn Coliseum, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us. I deeply regret you were unsatisfied with your stay with us. We have recently renovated the entire hotel from the guest rooms to the lobby. I know that our future guest's will appreciate the new and improved look. We took our guest's comments and have made some great improvements to the property. Including imporving the breakfast area and adding a restaurant on site with room service. We pride ourselves on offering a clean and comfortable hotel for all our guests. Our location, amenities, and value are one of the best in the area. I hope when you visit Winston Salem in the future you will stop in to check out our new improvements. We are committed to your satisfaction

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fairfax County, Virginia
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After reading the reviews, I was concerned about staying at the Quality Inn Coliseum in Winston Salem. Fortunately, the reviews gave a false picture of this hotel. The rooms are clean; the staff is not rude; and the neighborhood is not dangerous. On the contrary, the rooms are clean; the staff is friendly; and the neighborhood is fine...conveniently located next to an interstate, across the street from a Wendy's, and down the street from a Taco Bell. More importantly, unlike the overpriced, undersized hotel rooms in New York City, the rooms at this hotel are very reasonably priced and very reasonably sized. The building is not old or worn out as some other reviewers asserted. You can stay here without trepidation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mm9999
Ohio
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We arrived at the Quality Inn Coliseum and the room they gave us as not ready, although they quickly put us in another room when they realized. Our room did not feel clean. The tissue box mounted on the side of the vanity in the bathroom was filthy from what seemed to be a coffee pot overflow; we were surprised the cleaning crew had not noticed. The staff was nice, yet the building is old, and we did not feel safe when we ventured into the surrounding neighborhood. The pool water was foggy when we went swimming in the late afternoon. We could not use the pool later because it was over crowded with out of controls kids whose parents were there, yet there was no apparent discipline going on. The weekend continental breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, cereal, bread, cookies, and a huge tip jar. They have two elevators, one smelled like a wet dog, and the other had watermelon juice on the floor. We would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Vickie W
NC mtns
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I travel often and stay in a variety of hotels, depending on the season, length of stay, and reason for travel. This trip I was looking for something convenient to the city yet in a safe neighborhood, relatively inexpensive and clean, and I hit the jackpot with this wonderful inn.

I called the hotel directly from the Visitor Center on I-77. The manager/owner answered and it was immediately like talking with a trusted friend. He directed me straight to the hotel (and, with the coupon from the Visitor Center, I paid $49.95 for a non-smoking double room). The lobby is small but elegant and the staff was wonderful -- it was a lovely, warm welcome. The room was spotless and well-appointed, and the bathroom sparkling clean. It was not at all stuffy and smelled very clean without the fragrance that is often used by some hotels to cover up odors.

The room included two beds, a small table and chairs, desk, bureau, TV and refrigerator, as well as the usual hair dryer, iron, etc. It was very comfortable and quiet.

We had a delicious, hot breakfast with cooked-to-order eggs, sausage, grits and gravy. There was also cereal, fruit, bagels, bread and a variety of spreads, coffees, and teas. We thoroughly enjoyed our conversation with the staff and with other guests as we watched CNN and lingered over a last cup of coffee.

I was also moved by the sentiments expressed by the management in the in-room brochure's greeting. It reads as follows:

"To Our Guests,

"In ancient times, there was a prayer for 'The Stranger Within Our Gates". Because this inn is a human institution to serve people, and not solely a money-making organization, e hope that God will grant you peace and rest while you are under our roof.

"May this room and inn be your 'second home'. May those you love be near you in thoughts and dreams. Even though we may not get to know you, we hope that you will be as comfortable and happy as if you were in your own house.

"May the business that brought you our way prosper. May every call you make and every message you receive add to your joy. When you leave, may your journey be safe.

"We are all travelers. From birth to death we travel between the eternities. May these days be pleasant for you, profitable for society, helpful for those you meet, and a joy to those who know and love you best."

You can bet I will return! Anytime I am traveling in or through Winston-Salem, this wonderful inn will indeed be my second home. I recommend it highly and without reservation. It gets five stars and an A++ rating.

• Liked — welcoming and friendly staff, very comfortable
  • Disliked — no complaints whatsoever
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank MissM13
Va
Reviewed May 30, 2008

The owner Mr. M was rude and refused to credit our account after they made a clerical error and gave away the room after mixing up the dates. Not only did this hotel get paid for their mistakes but they offered no apology.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008
New Bern, NC
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I booked this hotel thinking that the Choice Hotel chain usually provide nice rooms. My mistake. This hotel was worn out and is definitely in need of an overhaul.

From the minute we opened our door, I realized I made a mistake. The door seemed jammed, but with a good shove it opened. Closing and locking it was a reverse process. You had to push really hard against the door to allow it to latch. I could have overlooked this but the problems continued. The light switch next to the door did not turn on any lights in the room and it was dark outside. Once the lights were turned on we discovered that the lamp on the desk next to the door was unplugged. Next was the bath tub that had a section of the enamel missing (about a 12 inch by 8 inch section). The pillows were flat worn out and the bedding appeared cheap and worn. The lamp on the desk was missing the electrical receptacle for plugging in laptops. I had to string my power cord from across the room so I could connect with the high speed Ethernet because the wireless signal was so weak I could not connect wirelessly.

Once an internet connection was made I booked a room for the next day in another hotel (Fair Field Inn which was cheaper, cleaner, and more comfortable).

I checked out of the Quality Inn the following morning. I did not bother explaining my reason for checking out as the clerk at the desk was abrupt and rude to the person she was speaking to on the phone.

The lobby was being mopped as I left and a strong smell of bleach was present. From the lobby the hotel appears to be upscale, but the rooms are dilapidated.

There are plenty of hotels in the area, don't waste your money on this place. Price does not always reflect quality.

• Liked — check out
  • Disliked — room and everything in it was worn out
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Dirty, rude staff, loud guests. Buffet is disgusting! Beds are really uncomfortable.

Our room was right below "the party room" - every week the night shift workers from a local business party it up...we did not sleep all night cause they were so loud.

I complained of my experience to the front desk at 1am, 3am and 5am, and they said "oh, that happens all the time"...they did not offer to move us or any compensation.

When I called the head office, they said there was nothing they could do for us...Im still waiting for a response from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family