“Worn out - Don't waste your money”

Quality Inn Coliseum
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
New Bern, NC
“Worn out - Don't waste your money”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I booked this hotel thinking that the Choice Hotel chain usually provide nice rooms. My mistake. This hotel was worn out and is definitely in need of an overhaul.

From the minute we opened our door, I realized I made a mistake. The door seemed jammed, but with a good shove it opened. Closing and locking it was a reverse process. You had to push really hard against the door to allow it to latch. I could have overlooked this but the problems continued. The light switch next to the door did not turn on any lights in the room and it was dark outside. Once the lights were turned on we discovered that the lamp on the desk next to the door was unplugged. Next was the bath tub that had a section of the enamel missing (about a 12 inch by 8 inch section). The pillows were flat worn out and the bedding appeared cheap and worn. The lamp on the desk was missing the electrical receptacle for plugging in laptops. I had to string my power cord from across the room so I could connect with the high speed Ethernet because the wireless signal was so weak I could not connect wirelessly.

Once an internet connection was made I booked a room for the next day in another hotel (Fair Field Inn which was cheaper, cleaner, and more comfortable).

I checked out of the Quality Inn the following morning. I did not bother explaining my reason for checking out as the clerk at the desk was abrupt and rude to the person she was speaking to on the phone.

The lobby was being mopped as I left and a strong smell of bleach was present. From the lobby the hotel appears to be upscale, but the rooms are dilapidated.

There are plenty of hotels in the area, don't waste your money on this place. Price does not always reflect quality.

• Liked — check out
  • Disliked — room and everything in it was worn out
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Toronto
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Dirty, rude staff, loud guests. Buffet is disgusting! Beds are really uncomfortable.

Our room was right below "the party room" - every week the night shift workers from a local business party it up...we did not sleep all night cause they were so loud.

I complained of my experience to the front desk at 1am, 3am and 5am, and they said "oh, that happens all the time"...they did not offer to move us or any compensation.

When I called the head office, they said there was nothing they could do for us...Im still waiting for a response from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Hendersonville, N.C.
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My recent stay a this motel was awful ! Our non- smoking room was full of stale tobacco smoke. The lampshades were brown from nicotine stains. I found a used sanitary napkin in the phone book. ( yeap its the truth) A burn hole in the bed spread, as well as several burns on the bathroom sink.The motel was booked solid due to the event I was attending as well, So I told them at the front desk at checkout about my experience. I was directed to speak the manager which I did. The manager offer a meak I'm sorry. Thats it! No customer satisfaction here. Never offered a thing to make it right. I would never stay at this motel again and would suggest to anyone else to find somewhere else to stay in Winston-Salem.
I wished I had read a review like this before my recent trip .

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008
Ohio
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Stayed here last night and wouldn't stay here again. The walls were paper thin and so were the pillows and blanket. Curtains let in way too much light. Neighborhood not great either. Very few amenities and just not the best hotel experience. If you can stay somewhere else, I would. If this is your only/last option then you'll be ok, just don't expect anything extraordinary - or even average for that matter.

Stayed March 2008
North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We made a reservation the day before on the phone. When we got there the room was quoted as 53.99 and we were scheduled to stay for three days. Well when we got there we were in the process of paying by credit card and the OWNER came over and said that the rooms were 69.99 instead. We were furious and confronted him about the price he said okay " I give it to you for 63.99". We had no choice this was the weekend of the State wrestling championships and there were no vacancies and we had driven 4 hrs and were tired. Also the hot buffet is uncooked eggs that are served to you from a unfriendly employee. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!!!!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — owner
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was staying with my boss and we had a terrible experience. I received a smoking room after booking a non-smoking room. My boss's room was filthy and had not been cleaned since the previous guests had occupied it. Response from the management was slow at best. Check-in was painfully slow with many customers waiting with no attention. In the morning, they gave us directions to a health club to work out (b/c theirs was sub-par) and the place had been shut down and was for lease. Obviously, if you are smart, you will not book this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank buckeyeproud
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Stayed here during the High Point furniture Market. It is an outstanding value considering hotels of similar caliber are twice the price. The rooms and linens were clean. They offer a reasonable hot breakfast and there is free wireless internet in addition to a business center.

It is not the Four Seasons, however for the money it is an outstanding value. I would stay here again without question!

• Liked — clean, great value
  • Disliked — not luxury accomodations
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business