“mixed review”

Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Erie, Pennsylvania
“mixed review”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was our second stay at this particular facility and upon arrival we felt somewhat unwelcome , although the first time we stayed there 6 months ago we did not feel the same. We both had an impression we were intruding, not making it a great start for our stay,. When I went to get a cup of coffee there were no cups available, but the clerk quickly offered to get some. He brought some cups back, but no lids. He had to go back to where they were stored to get more. It was then he began to be a bit more friendly and made us feel a bit more welcome. Although the breakfast advertised was to be a "super" breakfast, the first time we were offered eggs and sausage with all the other amenities. This time they offered waffles, but didn't have the equipment set up to make them. The coffee was like lightly flavored water, was not hot, and when I asked for this to be corrected I was immediately told it wasn't going to happen unless the pot was empty. We got a few rolled eyes at the request, again, not making us feel warm and fuzzy. The orange juice was almost totally water, but once the attendant noticed the problem she put in a new supply. I am a diabetic, and would have loved to eat a waffle, but no low sugar syrup was available. No peanut butter and no low sugar jam or jelly was available for toast. This makes it a bit difficult for me to obtain a healthy breakfast.

The beds were ok, but hard. The pillows were good and comfortable. I was a bit disappointed by some of the things I noticed in the room, such as a few spots on the carpet and the baseboard in the bathroom was dirty with an accumulation of dust and such around the floor.

We have had two experiences in this hotel, 6 months apart. We chose to go back to them because the first was pleasurable. After the second, I'm not sure we would return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
QualityINN_WS, Manager at Quality Inn Coliseum, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry to hear your stay with us this time was not exceptional like last time and you experienced some problem with the breakfast during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. the reason why we did not have the usual breakfast with fresh scrambled eggs, sausage and gritts is because we were updating the kitchen area and were not able to provide it at this time. Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed and the appropriate action has been taken. I can also assure you during your next stay with us we will be done with the renovations and be able to provide DELUX Breakfast.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2012

If this was a 1 star hotel I would say it was OK, but labeled as a 2.5 star is a joke. I went for a weekend with the guys, so we ended up roughing it, but if the family was along we would have ran out of there like I saw several other families doing! Upon checking in, we had asked for non smoking and were told there would be a $10 up charge per night per room and in cash. This was a very large hotel with maybe 15 cars in the parking lot, there were plenty of open rooms that were non smoking. Upon getting to our rooms, we noticed the AC unit was extremely loud in both rooms we had. When we inquired the front desk, we were told that was usual. No need to say, not much sleep occurred. The "Deluxe Continental breakfast" was the poorest excuse I have ever seen for a breakfast anything. The only reason this hotel stays in business is Priceline/Hotwire!

Room Tip: The highway is loud along with the AC units.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Leicester, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My parents came here to stay the night because I was at the time admitted at The Childrens Home service a while back in fact i don't know what year exactly. so they were from Asheville. The walls were disgusting the floors had stains everywhere....i went out to the pool to swim with them and there was random people sitting and eat on the outside chairs and tables that don't even stay there! it's loud at night and weird things happen...my sister and I complained about someone one grabbing us from behind when we go in the elevator...shadows flash around and the best part is this ...THE TV turns itself on and flicks through channels and turns the volume up so high and down to mute. and best part was the employees didn't care in fact I could guess that
maybe 3 people worked there....and maybe two cleaning ladies....and by the way there was a bullet hole on the 4th floor like the other person described...so for your sanity and sanitary sake...DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!!!

Room Tip: None!!!! My suggestion is to do not go here until things are fixed.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Brii S
Denver, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We would never choose to stay at this hotel again. It was chosen sight unseen, and we could not move due to timing of the events we were participating in, so we ended up there two nights.

We were not comfortable any of the time that we were there, which was only to sleep. We assumed since it was AAA rated and a Choice hotel that it was acceptable, but it was NOT. We were accosted by a panhandler in the parking lot as we were unloading our car. When we asked for a extra blanket we were told that everything was locked up by housekeeping. The same story was told when we asked to purchase detergent to use the washer/dryer, which by the way, was sitting out in the hallway of the lowest floor. The blanket was provided several hours later, but was too disgusting to use.

The alarm clock did not work. The second night we witnessed someone urinating next to our car, for which he apologized, but he was drunk. We saw no security our entire stay. We were afraid to do laundy due to the location of the washer/dryer and the spookiness of the lower floor.

It is convenient to Highway 52 but there are much better Choice properties in the area.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
QualityINN_WS, General Manager at Quality Inn Coliseum, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
I'm concerned about the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Which is why we always maintain a 100% guarantee.

If you're not satisfied with our accommodations or service, please let the front desk know without delay so we can make it right. Our guarantee distinguishes the pride we take in our hotel and our service to you guest. We'll do whatever it takes to make our guests feel welcome, relaxed, and completely comfortable."

"When you choose to stay at Quality Inn, we are committed to making you feel understood, welcome, and important.

In this regard, I have discussed the matters you raised with my staff, and I am pleased to let you know that a satisfactory resolution had been reached during your stay. Please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This was just a rest over stop on our way to Myrtle Beach,SC, but it was a very relaxing place to stay. I booked earlier in the day and was reserved a room for that night. Arrived around 9:00pm, went across the street to Wendy's and had supper in the room. Staff was very friendly and the continental breakfast was very good. Had a late checkout time too if you wanted to sleep a liitle late. The only thing negative was, like a lot of other hotels, it had a lot of slamming doors. That necessarily isn't the fault of the hotel, but is the fault of the rude quests who let a door slam at midnight or 6:00am. People don't think of other people most of the time anyway. Bottom line....great value for a nice room with pleasant hotel staff.I would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Seriously! I'm not hard to please and find the standard quality of a holiday inn type hotel quite sufficient for quick stays but this place was awful. Multiple prostitutes in the parking lot, the hallways reeked of smoke and drugs, and there were cigarette burns on all of the sheets in our non-smoking room. We would have left if we knew anything about the area but as we had checked in close to 11pm we where already beat. As soon as the sun came up we got out of there as fast as was possible. From the looks on the face of the other couple checking in they too found the place as disgusting and unsettling as we did. Please don't stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
QualityINN_WS, General Manager at Quality Inn Coliseum, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Which is why we have a 100% guarantee.

Your willingness to share your recent experience is greatly appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2011

i arrived at 200 pm and left at midnight, had a room on the 5th floor it was quiet which is good for a daytime sleeper like myself..this is not a 5 star hotel but hey its a quality inn its not supposed to be...big parking lot easy to get a semi into..this is a big old bldg and it is not in brand new condition but the people were very freindly the price was great around $64.00...the room was a little tired and worn but the bed was comfy and the room was very clean...cold A/C..hot water...not a bad place to stay for a one night stop..If your wanting a romantic getaway at a fabulous luxury hotel this is not for you...if you want a clean room, nice people, and a good price this is where you need to be...also, it is located at the starting point of a ( not so great) part of town, but I didnt feel that was an issue I left around midnight and there were a few people hanging around down the street but I felt very safe ...the area is well lit and a c-store is located across the street...I would stay here again...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business