“family stay for thanksgiving”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed December 5, 2013

stay at embassy suites on cherry street Winston salem, n.c. the room was too close to street noisy, otherwise the service was excellent and the staff top notch would recommend to anyone that needs downtown access

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Randy R, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad you were able to experience our wonderful staff and downtown area. I hope you can visit us again when you are in the area or during holidays!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed here in mid November for a convention which was easily accessed from the hotel by tunnel to the convention center. Upon checking in, I was quite relieved to be given a room with a window facing outdoors. Many rooms only have windows facing to the interior atrium. Actually, I was even more relieved to have gotten checked in at all! The front desk staff seemed disorganized and disheveled. They were quite nice which made up for a lot, but still those of us in line had to wait for quite a while to get checked in. Calling down to the front desk from the guest room was a challenge too. It took several tries to get a staff member to pick up the phone.

Overall, the hotel is in major need of updating. I felt like I had gone back to the Brady Bunch days in terms of colors and decor, especially in the public areas. Guest rooms were a bit better. Guest rooms were clean, quiet, spacious, and everything seemed to be in working order.

The best part of my stay: the omelettes made to order by resident chef James Banks. He was terrific. He was friendly and he remembered us each morning we came down to breakfast. His omelettes were yummy and simply perfect. James gave me and all his guests a terrific start to the day! He is the reason I am giving this review a 4-rating, rather than a 3.

A couple other notes:
• Cabs aren't readily available from this hotel. A bellman assisted us by calling one for us and it took about 10 minutes.
• There are some restaurants within walking distance. I took some clients to Jeffrey-Adams on Fourth. It has a nice new menu and we enjoyed our meal. There's also a Jimmy Johns close by for a quick sandwich.

1  Thank delledge

Thank you for your review. We are glad you were able to experience great service from our wonderful staff at breakfast. We are currently remodeling our guest corridors and seating area at our breakfast area and are excited about the changes!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed here for a five days during a business conference and was very happy to find a nice, clean (see one issue below) place that accepted my dog (for a one-time $50 fee). Had only one minor issue with the dog, they did not want to clean the room unless I was there, I have a toy poodle, so believe it had nothing to do with being afraid of the dog – this was fine for me because I only had to call housekeeping and they came right away to refresh and clean the room. They put us on the second floor which was ok as we were very near the elevator, stairs to go down for breakfast and a ramp that lead from the garage to the hotel. There are several parking fees so make sure you check all this out when you first get there. There is valet parking which I think cost $15. Then there was another parking fee that cost $12 wasn't sure what you got for that, but I found that I could also pay $9 a day and this allowed me to drive in and out every day. The room/suite was very nice - a large living room area with sink, coffee maker, flat screen TV, couch, microwave and small refrigerator. The bedroom had two double beds and its own flat screen TV and closet. The bathroom was very large as well. Everything looked up to date and we had only one issue. One of the beds sheets had dried blood on it so I didn't use that bed until it could be changed. The breakfast was very good - buffet style with an omelet station. Only ate lunch there twice which was buffet also, never ate diner there but did manage to go to the manager's reception that is held each night and there you get up to two free alcoholic drinks. I would definitely go back and recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing our Embassy Suites. I am glad you able to visit us and bring you toy poodle. We are proud that we are Pet Friendly and hope you can visit us in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hotel was centrally located to for my event and was close to restaurants. Distance to the airport was fairly long but local traffic did not make the trip seem long. All staff I encountered at the hotel were friendly & helpful. Meals at the hotel were great.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad you were able to experience our wonderful staff, our hotel and surrounding area. We hope you can visit us again in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was a very nice place to stay for business! Staff were very pleasant and accommodating! The rooms are big and spacious. Breakfast was great and offerred a wide variety. The valet staff was super nice and friendly. They made you feel very comfortable and made sure you got where you needed to. They also offerred advice on where to visit while in town.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a good option for travelers who want to stay downtown W/S. Suites are large typical of ES. Bath was enormous. The lobby and bar area was not quite as inviting as the Marriott next door. The E/S has a cocktail hour reception every evening and all guests get two drinks and a snack each night from 5-7PM. Then in the same area they serve breakfast each morning. Rooms have flat screen TV's, small kitchenette a little dining table and a fold out sofa. None of the furniture was all that comfortable but that's the way these things are.
The light by the bed was difficult to work. I had to call for help. It works off a dimmer switch but the light was a low voltage lamp and doesn't work on dimmers. It was kind of strange. The place needs a small amount of updating but the property is well cared for.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a king bed over two doubles
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad you were able to experience what our rooms have to offer. Great to see you were able to enjoy the evening reception and breakfast as well. We are excited that we are currently completing the guest corridor renovations which help make the hotel sparkle.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel annually for years and have always been satisfied with the facilities, amenities and the friendly staff. The location is within a few minutes dirve to everything you need in Winston-Salem.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for reviewing Embassy Suites Winston-Salem. I am glad you are able to continue to stay with us. We love having you visit, and hope to see you again real soon.