“Great stay”

Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Savannah, Georgia
“Great stay”
Reviewed March 3, 2008

In town for a friend's wedding, called the day before we went to find out they only had 5 rooms left. The suite we ended up with was a two bedroom with one king bed and two queen beds for 129/night, each room had a private bath. Couldn't have asked for a better stay.

• Liked — size of the suite
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 30, 2007

We stayed in a large and well-appointed 2 bedroom suite with our 4 children. We stay there every year when we bring our oldest daughter to college. Once again, it was a good stay for the money, but there were a few things that could be improved. The good things -- very comfy beds, nice bathrooms, large kitchen area if you need it (we did not), the food at breakfast was very tasty, the pool was fun and not too crowded. The not-so-good things -- once again, the breakfast was understaffed (we did not have to wait to be seated, but they were out of bowls and some food the entire time we were there; slight improvement over last year, but not much), not very welcoming front desk (although the valet parking guy was very helpful), we were on a non-smoking floor and the small lobby to the elevator as well as the first part of the corridor reeked of smoke every time we went to and from our room. We stay at a lot of Embassy Suites and other Hiltons, and I would say this one is above average but not the best. But I always seem to get a good price, so we always return and are pretty happy. I will return again and would recommend it to people looking for a good price but nothing too fancy.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Breakfast service could be improved
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ML006
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I've stayed at the Marriott across the street from this location before and was very unhappy with it. I can say without question that the Embassy Suites is the MUCH better choice. For the same price as the Marriott, you get two rooms, refrigerator, microwave, bigger bathroom and free hearty breakfast. Parking is also much easier at this hotel since the garage is attached. The staff was very friendly and efficient.

You can tell this hotel is getting some age on it...my toilet seat kept coming loose at the hinges and moved around. The air conditioner was also the loudest contraption I've ever heard --the systems in both rooms sounded like jet engines...jet engines with major engine trouble. They rattled and shook and generally make a multitude of annoying noises. I tried earplugs to sleep and still kept getting woken up since the sounds varied (in other words, it never became background white noise). I finally turned the unit in my bedroom off and opened the door to the living area for circulation...I still had to sleep with earplugs in to drown out the noise from the unit in the other room, but at least it was far enough away that this method worked.

• Liked — The separate living area wtih wet bar
  • Disliked — loudest air conditioner on earth
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Home in WV,SC,TN
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I travel to the Winston-Salem area quite frequently on my way to the beach house. This hotel is located in the downtown district of Winston-Salem. There is a lot of noise from sirens all night long. The police station is right below the hotel which didn’t help the noise. There are not many restaurants in this area. There is a Starbucks in the lobby which was nice. The pool was nice. The restaurant in the lobby was extremely busy in that night that we were there. This Embassy Suites takes well done seriously, some times too seriously. We ordered our meat well done. The meat was extremely well done, to the point where we had to scrape the burnt off. The breakfast was not as big as most Embassy’s. Our bellman wrecked our luggage cart in the hallway, which was a mess.

• Liked — Our suite
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007
2 Thank zachmb
seneca, sc
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, Winston-Salem, Sat 6/16
and Sun 6/17 while attending a friends wedding anniversary
at the Marriott across the street. Check-in went fairly
smoothly, however our normal Hilton Honors room request
was messed up, but corrected within a few minutes. Our
room was spacious and clean. Bedding was attractive and
comfortable. Breakfast was a nightmare, at least a 30
minute wait. My guess is that the poor layout of the buffet
is a major contributor coupled with the fact that they only had
one cheff preparing the "made to order omelets" with only two
burners to work with. You'd think that when they have a rather
full house they would try to make accommodations for such a
crowd. I noted in a previous review that there were room-
service trays that remained in the hallway for several days.
We encountered the same problem, one directly at our front
door. Asked the front desk to have it removed and it was
mid-afternoon the following day before it was taken care of.
There is no working relationship between the hotel and the
adjoining parking facility. We were given free parking by our
hosts which had an incorrect date. One of the valets told me
that the gate was up so I could just drive out. Well, you guessed it, the gate wasn't up and the parking attendant
would not let me out without a signed pass from the valet
at the hotel. I had to repark the car and walk back to the hotel
to get the proper document. The hotel should have issued
the correct parking document in the first place, but they should
have a working relationship with the garage to deal with
problems that might arise.

In summary, this is a nice property with the necessary
attributes to make guests very comfortable. Management
should take care to correct some of the minor flaws and in so
doing totally please their guests which is what is all about.

I would take another chance on the place and stay here again
if in the area.

• Liked — Spacious suite, good bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast wait
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Northern Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Booked through Hilton Honors program, so room was free. This was in the middle of the city, so parking was another $12. Front desk was ok - we asked a few times for things and were misdirected. Ended up asking the gentleman at valet parking and he was right on with directions and information. Rooms were big and clean, which is my big thing. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ktpmm5
Kentucky
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this property 10/28 - 10/30/2006 while in town to visit our son for parents weekend at a local college. We chose this hotel because we have stayed there before and new they had a hot tub which we thought would be a nice place to relax with our son.

We were shocked and very disappointed to find the hot tub was disgustingly filthy, with dirty and slimy scum built up around the inside, and the water so yellowish and dirty that you could not see 2 feet deep into the water. When the hot tub was running there was dirty foam frothing on top of the water like you would find in a dirty lake. Even more shocking was that there were some people in it with their kids. YUCK!! I contacted the front desk and spoke to the night manager that was on duty and he of course apologized, but did not seem to have a sense of urgency about the issue. In addition to the hot tub issue, there were dirty breakfast dishes left in the hallway by other guests on our floor for almost 2 days.

The hot tub was so ridiculously filthy that I decided to take pictures of it to e-mail to Hilton Honors Guest Assistance along with a recap of our stay (attached to this review). After not receiving a response within a reasonable amount of time I contacted the Hilton Honors Diamond VIP desk and the person there was very helpful and understanding of the issue and explained that the General Manager of this hotel would contact me within 48 hours. After waiting 5 days for a response that never came, I again contacted the Hilton Honors Diamond VIP desk and had the good fortune of having the same person answer my call. She was very surprised that the GM did not contact me and took it upon herself to offer compensation for the problems along with a sincere apology for the lack of concern and follow up by the General Manager of the Embassy Suites in Winston-Salem. My guess is that it is this type of lack of attention and follow up that allowed this property to be in the poor shape it was in on our stay.

On the positive side, every employee we came in contact during our stay was very nice and helpful, even giving us a resturaunt tip that has become my favorite. I stay primarily at Hilton properties which have always been Above Average or Excellent with the best service of any hotel chain, and I am hopeful this property will get cleaned up so we can give them another chance.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family