“Beware of bedbugs!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed September 29, 2011

While on vacation and traveling we planned to stay overnight in the Embassy Suites in Winston-Salem. It is a beautiful location in downtown W-S and we were impressed with the lobby, the courtesy of the staff and the size of the suite. I am very particular in checking hotels for bugs though and upon checking one of the beds in our room we found dead bugs and blood spots. We immediately left the room, complained to the desk and left the building. I would never stop at this hotel again.

3  Thank Tgriff3
SusieQcard, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Winston - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Due to the heightened awareness of most travelers in regards to bed bugs, complaints of this type are not uncommon. Because the comfort and security of our guests is our primary concern, our policy is to react immediately to this type of guest concern and do whatever is needed to make the guest comfortable. Once the guest is satisfied, an investigation into the issue is conducted by our management team. In this case, as is usual, bed bugs were not present in the room.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed four nights Sept 22-25th, 2011. The doors need WD40, creak, stick, etc.,. The beds are beYOND comfortable. Friendly, safe. The chefs for the made-to-order breakfasts are awesome - thanks Jack! Even the scrambled eggs in the hot tray were great - that's a first. The fridge fell out on the floor when I pulled the door open, maybe I don't know my own strenght. GREAT and plenty advice from staff regarding food, entertainment options. Pool, hot tub, manager's reception all good. Frankly, I just loved it. I really wanted the atrium to be all decorated like the Embassy in Charleston, WV. However, it was fine. You really have to look to criticize. Biggest deal here: I left a very expensive bag of various items - accidentally - in the room - and within four hours, Dale at the hotel called ME before I even realized they were gone - to assure me they'd be shipped. And they arrived the next day. Totally intact.

Room Tip: My sister's room was an "inner" room. No exterior windows. So, if you need daylight, y...
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed for one night (Friday). We were greeted by the valet staff, then the front desk. All were courteous and helpful.
Our room was on the 4th floor (very fast elevators) and was very clean.
The bed was SO comfortable, temperature of room easy to adjust.

I'd forgotten my 'travel fan' and the guy at the front desk (at midnight) let me use their fan, in which case I wouldn't have been able to sleep without. THANK YOU!!!

I wish we could have stayed longer, location and comfort were top notch.

Room Tip: Some rooms didn't have windows on the outside of the building, only a sliding glass door to the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The appearance and conditions of the hotel were unacceptable. Prior to arriving, there was a flood on the fifth floor and the carpets and walls were soaked and mildewed. If the hallway was not ready the rooms should not have be released for stay. We had to change floors since one of the members in our party was getting sick. The mold on the walls was noticeable. The capet was pulled back and not replaced in some areas, making the halls dangerous to walk. The restaurant was awful and the management was unattentive.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Karisha B
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We always stay at the Hilton hotels. We had stayed at the Embassy Suites on Cherry Street previously and found it to be excellent. However, our stay this past weekend was a little disappointing. Apparently, the hotel is undergoing some renovation as the hallways have the baseboards and carpeting pulled up. When we entered our room, we found that the potty still needed some cleaning. We called the front desk and finally after approximately 20 minutes and a second call a very nice lady came and cleaned. When we asked for additional towels and toliet paper, the front desk was somewhat rude. We requested a wake-up telephone call and that call never happened. Obviously, the service was not up to Hilton standards. Yes, we will probably stay here again due to the convenience it provides to the Benton Convention Center and the excellent breakfast. We hope to see some improvements as the hotel has certainly gone down in two years.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was my first visit to an Embassy Suites, and I was very impressed. It helped that I had a clean, spacious handicapped-access suite, (perhaps b/c the front desk empathized with the fact that we had to evacuate our coastal home for Hurricane Irene). The two queen size beds were plush, the bathroom spacious and the shower had good water pressure. Flat screen tv's in both bedrooms, refrigerator, and microwave were all useful & in working order.

Perks like the manager's reception, indoor pool, a friendly pet policy, and easy access to the interstate were also welcome. We ate at the restaurant downstairs both nights, and found that quite pleasant, too. The area outside the hotel is an urban arts district; while there were many eateries that came alive at night, there was not much to do during the day.

The only negative for me was the additional $9-$10 or more for parking, due to the fact that you need to park in the city garage next door, and the fact that there was a little occasional noise from the fire department a few blocks away, but I think that's all part of city life.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I lived in Winston Salem for a few years and have come back twice to visit since we left. Both times we have stayed at this hotel. The first trip was in July 2010 (I did not review the property at that time) and was during a classic car show. We booked a standard one-bedroom suite. The hotel was extremely busy and, unfortunately, on the noisy side at all hours. Breakfast was almost impossible because the staff could not keep up with the demand and we could not find a table to sit at. We blamed our inconveniences mostly on the amount of travelers in the hotel, and we gave it another chance last weekend. Again, we managed to stay during a BUSY weekend for the hotel. We arrived at 3pm to check-in and were told our room wouldn't be ready for 30 more minutes. We left to get a bite to eat. They called us just after 4pm to say it was ready. I asked for a prorated discount since our room was late and my request was honored without a problem. The room was clean aside from some pills my husband found on the floor--thankfully our toddler did not find them first! This time we booked a 2 bed/2 bath suite (great since we have 2 little ones). It worked out awesome...and we had zero noise (aside from sirens at 10pm). A better class of clientele staying in the hotel this time around. Starbucks had a sign up that said they opened at 8am. That was sort of a downer since we get up earlier than that. Breakfast was a breeze this time. Fresh-tasting food (except for what we think were reconstituted powdered eggs - blah!) and plenty of clean tables to choose from. We are considering visiting again this fall and if we do, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family