“Not what we expected”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Nashville, Tennessee
“Not what we expected”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

First, we will say that the front desk staff at this location was outstanding. They were more than willing to resolve the issues we had with their hotel to the best of their ability. However, there was no manager on location in the evening, or in the morning when we checked out. 1)We arrived and were given the discounted rate for the evening. The staff was very willing to help us get rooms close together inside at the late hour we arrived. 2)One of the rooms we had had blood all over the blanket. Blood is very obvious compared to wine, and other things. Not sure if it was from a bloody nose, or something worse, but it was blood none the less. There was some sort of tobacco or mulch in the tub. We attempted to turn the water on to rinse it down and it would not drain. The carpet was dirty. We called to the front desk to complain and they said they would send housekeeping. No one came after an hour, so we called again. There was a new person on staff and he said the room should not have been rented out, because it had not yet been cleaned! We moved that room. In both the new room, and the other room we were in, there were roaches! I know that is it the south and it is supposed to be "normal", but we have stayed in MANY hotels in the south and have never seen a roach until now. 3) We asked for irons, but were told that all of the irons they had were already in other rooms and we would have to wait until one was returned. That never happened! We ended up having to track down a housekeeper to find us one. 3)Breakfast was prepared, but after the roaches, we went to Burger Kind instead. We asked to speak to a manager the next morning, but none was available. We will not be staying again!

Room Tip: Rooms up the hill in the 500s and 400s are indoors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank SlRiv R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I was in Winston-Salem recently on business and a tight budget. My arrival at the Innkeeper was very pleasant. I was suprised my room was so nice and clean as I only paid $49.99 for the room. I was greeted each morning at breakfast by the manager who also enjoyed serving coffee and asking for suggestions. My room was very clean and very spacious. The continental breakfast was very good. Consisted of sausage biscuits, cereals, oatmeals, pop tarts, bagels, danish, muffins and waffles. More than I was expecting for the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lisa C
Lisa C, General Manager at Innkeeper - Winston Salem South, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank You so much for your review. The Innkeepr is now under new management and we thank you for taking the time to post a positive review. We hope you will stay with us should you travel to WInston Salem in the the future. Kindess Regards.
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Everyone gave us great service. The room was very clean. This a great value for the money.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Bradbsl
Georgia, USA
Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed here when I was interviewing at Wake Forest for a medical residency. We used a popular hotel search engine and found a good deal so we booked 2 nights. When we pulled in, we should have known to turn around. The hotel had prostitutes (I swear) in the lobby when we checked in. The front desk attendant was nice enough, but they did photocopy our IDs (never had that happen before). We had a room "on the hill" . We went to our room down a dark hall that smelled like smoke and went immediately to our room and locked and dead-bolted the door. We also put a chair and a suitcase in front of the door, we were so uncomfortable with our surroundings. Everything about he hotel was shady. There weren't bars on the windows but you felt like there should have been. We also moved the car so we could see it out the window. The beds were hard and the pillows lumpy but the non-smoking room did not smell like smoke.

When we woke up the morning and went to breakfast, the prostitutes from the night before were having an argument over money- making us severely uncomfortable. There was also a drunk/schizophrenic guy making a lot of noise and talking with himself. So we rushed through breakfast and had planned on doing some site-seeing in Winston-Salem and guess what. The car wouldn't start. We were so upset because now we were stuck in this hell of a hotel, we just went back into the room and called the front desk to see if somebody could jump us off or anything. They did send over the maintenance truck to jump us off but the car started when they got there.

We went to dinner that night and had more car trouble on our way back to the hotel and a friendly police man helped us get it towed and offered to take us back to our hotel. When he heard where he was staying he said quote "What, the Innkeeper! Why would you stay there?!" We told him about online search engines and he said "well if you're on the hill, it may be ok, but keep your door locked". We were horrified but now we didn't even have a car to leave and go to another hotel.

We again locked and baricaded ourselves in the room and slept holding each other with our clothes on. There is a car-rental place right next to the hotel, which was convenient for us since we were car-less. We rented a car and promptly left that hotel. It is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in- by far.

I would not reccomend it to my friend or even an enemy- When the police warn you about a hotel and there are prostitutes in the breakfast room, you know it's not a good place.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
13 Thank myangel_1014
usa
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stopped the night of June 11, 2010 and called Barbra from our car and asked if she had rooms that were in the Room Saver. She said she did and I said we would be there in about 30 minutes. Upon arriving I was not sure we should continue but we had been on the road almost 9 hours and we were tired. We checked in and Barbra asked for my driver lic. Little did I know they photo copied them . I asked why, and she said it was company policy; I said I never have had that done before.

We went up to the upper level and seeing the area , I am not feeling comfortable. We walked in to the hallway and I noticed that the vending machines had metal mesh over the window front and right away I knew this was not a good sign. We went into the room and found a strong smell of something like lysol and the room was not very clean. We went back to the office and told Barbra that we would like her to credit our charge card because we are not staying there that night. I explained all the reasons and she got the manger and he ok'd her to credit our card. Barbra the desk clerk was very nice but ;I would not put my wife, or anyone else in this type of enviorment.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank egrich
winston-salem
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I live here in winston-salem but my fiance currently lives in TN. He came to visit with me and since my teenage children were going to be home during his visit we decided to get a room at the innkeeper for some "alone time" together if you know what i mean. BIG mistake!!! There were some men working outside that i noticed and he told me the lady at the desk said she gave us a room that had already had the carpet cleaned which is what the men were doing out there going from room to room steam cleanin carpets. As if the noise from there cleanin machine was not bad enough after about 15 min of being in the room with him a man comes BANGING not knocking but BANGING on the door. My fiance yelled to him that the room was in use... he continued to bang and bang on the door... i am laying there barely dressed which is a nice site to see if i do say so myself but it made me extremly uncomfortable to be laying there undressed in what was supposed to be a PRIVATE hotel room and have some man continuesly banging to get in the room after we told him it was in use. fianlly i had to run to the bathroom while my fiance dressed and opened the door to tell the man to go the hell on.... he told him the lady had just let us get this room and they needed to go on somewhere... the man said he would go clean the other room but WOULD return in 30 min to clean this rooms carpet. I can't beleive he would keep banging on the door to get in knowing darn well it was in use. He should have backed off as soon as he heard voices tellin him the room was in use and not dare say he would be back in 30 min. he was not normal hotel staff he was someone they must have hired to steamn clean but he still had no right to interupt the tenets! not even 10 minutes later a mexican maid came knocking on the door. she was hotel staff.... i know the occasional annoying maid is to be expected but this one kept knocking after we told her it was in use.... never in my life have i had a hotel maid attempt to get in and change the trash knowing that the tentents are in the room at the time but she did continue to knock after we said "we are here go away" for about 2 minutes but she fianlly went away. At this point we had decided to hell with this crap hole. Right about the time we both got dressed and were about to walk out that damn carpet cleaner man was back and intended to clean the carpet right then and there. we had already decided to get the hell out of there but for all he knew we were still in the middle of using the room. when my fiance went to check out and complain the lady changed her story and said she had told him there was a chance they would need to clean the carpets when what she told him was she was giving us a room that they had already done and was ready for use... he NEVER would have took the room if he had any idea that we would be interupted within a few minutes of getting in there... espically since he knew we were just using the room for a few hours of alone time together and not for an overnight stay... i was appauled they did not refund his $ and tried to turn it around like it was his fault and he knew what we were getting into.... i am going to tell all my friends and family to never stay at the inn keeper... and like the other review says the place is known for drugs and prostitution and hobos coming around at night checking all the doors and just hoping one will b left unlocked so they can crash for the night... makes me sick but since we just needed a CHEAP place to spend a few hours together in the DAYTIME we thought we would be alright there but were VERY wrong.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bestestever1987
South Carolina
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I have never in my life stayed in a hotel this bad.. This hotel is great if u want to score drugs and a prostitute. It's very close to many of the strip clubs on this road. I had people walking by all night twisting my door knob to see if it was open. If I would have been able to leave and go to another hotel I would have. I do not recommend this hotel if your purpose is to sleep somewhere clean and safe!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business