“Stay by Wake Forest”

Quality Inn University
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed April 9, 2014

First room toilet did not work, bed spreads stained, towels had holes, phone did not work.
Second room, old A/C - Heating unit noisy hard to sleep, wash cloth looked like it was used as a cleaning rag,
light out, sheets kept coming off of the bed.
Front desk agent very friendly and did a good job to recover.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank kmr0401
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn University

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We wandered in here late night as we just needed a place to sleep, so we cheaped out. I was skeptical of getting a smoker's room and I questioned the front about it. They ensured me that my room would not be a problem. We entered the room and we were overwhelmed by a perfume odor. We guess they had recently treated the room for smoke. We should have checked out but it was late and left the door open to air it out. Mistake. Room was pretty gross. Bed spread was stained. Carpet was worn. Next morning I discovered a cigarette ash in a corner of the bathroom. I complained at the front desk and was told I would get a call back from the manager. Guess what? No call back.

Room Tip: Get a written statement that no one has ever smoked in your room, if you have that concern.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank pitt1980
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Ok, I will be the first to say, I shouldve read the reviews first..... me and my wife stayed there this past weekend, we had just drove 4 hours , sat through a 3 hour conference and wanted to see about getting our room a tad early... we were told by the desk ckerk NO check in is at 3, and not a minute sooner, we dont have any other vacancies so come back at 3... talk about RUDE not to mention the big ole nose ring (which personally I thought was totally unprofessional) ok, so rules are rules no matter how rudely they are announced...so we go down to burlington coat factory and chilled for an hour..we came back and there was a long line to check in, after the wait (over 45 minutes) we were slotted against a front room, but was switched to a room at the back for some unknown reason.....the parking lot was beyond full so we had to park way up front and walk all the way to the back bldg.....when we got there, the cleaning ladies were two doors down laughing and folding towels in an empty room, and our room was completely unprepared.... it was thrown together in a rush, and we were let in (partially still incomplete....the linen was brought in later) after a nap, we went out that night, when we got back, our keys didnt work... we were given new keys without a simple, apology....the room was a little moldy, the shower/bath had a slick porcelain tub, which made a serious slipping hazard, the breakfast was ok.... just a tight group of tables and chairs.... needless to say this was a first and last for this SUBSTANDARD HOTEL

Room Tip: Get another hotel.....period!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Linn I
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This made the Sleep Inn on Hampton Plaza Rd. look palatial. Had room with double beds - the room was so jammed with furniture that you barely had a pathway to walk to the bathroom in the rear of the room. This place was ranked #23 and Sleep Inn was a #12 on TA; I started out at the Sleep Inn but for the "two trips, one night free" Choice Hotels promo I needed another stay at a different location - and thus moved from the comparatively posh Sleep Inn. First you will notice the really banged up furniture. When you try to sleep you will notice the draft from the door (and see light around the door - in desperate need of weatherstripping!); this was a night in the low 30s and despite the heat being on there was a steady breeze from around the door. My son had the bed near the door and was freezing all night On a good note, the sheets were clean as was the tiny, tiny bathroom. It looked like the bathtub/shower had been refaced with granite so it looked good in comparison to the rest of the room. TV worked fine. There was a fridge and a microwave. We were so tired when getting back to the room that it was okay but this would not be my first choice (or even my 10th choice) on a stay in the area again. The breakfasts are the typical Choice selection although this was lacking anything hot except the waffle. Bagels, English muffins, packaged hard boiled eggs, sausage patties (cold), cheese slices, make your own waffle, apples, bananas, yogurts. Right next to hotel is China Buffet, KFC, and Wendy's. For the rate $58.99 with AAA, I may be a little harsh but for only a few dollars ($9) more you can stay at the Sleep Inn right near the mall. And it is a huge mall surrounded by other smaller centers so you have a choice of restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank b d
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were disappointed with this hotel, which is becoming a more frequent experience with Quality Inns and Comfort Inns. Too many of them are shabby with rundown rooms, noisy air/heat units, and mediocre food at breakfast. Our room at this hotel was extremely drafty (we could see daylight) around the door and also the A/C unit. And although the breakfast room was large, the food set-up was awkward which slowed down the process during peak times. Also, the front desk girl decided to get her breakfast during a busy time when customers were waiting to get theirs. But our biggest gripe is that "special offers" by Choice Hotels are definitely not worth it. We were signed up for their "stay two nights, get one night free" offer, but what they don't tell you is that it's all based on points and that the points you earn from a two-visit stay are NOT enough to earn a free night. What a rip! We are changing to another hotel brand.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GoRoadie
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were in Winston-Salem for the weekend, and were fortunate to find a room since Wake Forest had a game and Winston-Salem had homecoming.

The hotel must have recently upgraded their beds and bathrooms and appliances. This is noticeable especially since the rest of the room looks a little dated. Nothing is bad, and the bed is worth the price of the room. The mattress is new, the linens are clean and once I closed my eyes, I didn't even notice the knick on the coffee table:)

I would like to thank the front desk associate, Alicia, for doing a fine job in reserving us a non-smoking room. I have a hard time with smoke and especially "old smoke." The room was fresh and clean.

We will definitely stay here when we return to Winston-Salem.

Room Tip: Three buildings. We were in the 3rd building and didn't hear anything at all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ingridfisher
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had free nights through both Wyndham Rewards and Choice Privileges so decided to split them up for balance by using one night at the Microtel in Winston Salem and two at the Quality Inn University in early July. We found both locations to be top quality for budget type establishments. Both were clean with good beds, televisions, and breakfast provisions which are the three most important needs under our simple travel needs. I would not hesitate to stay at either place again, in fact we had stayed at the Quality Inn during prior trips to the city. The rating of Very Good should not be considered a detriment but rather leaving it open for that very special facility that might rate a bit better grade.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple