“Dumpy place”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
sparta, nj
“Dumpy place”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This made the Sleep Inn on Hampton Plaza Rd. look palatial. Had room with double beds - the room was so jammed with furniture that you barely had a pathway to walk to the bathroom in the rear of the room. This place was ranked #23 and Sleep Inn was a #12 on TA; I started out at the Sleep Inn but for the "two trips, one night free" Choice Hotels promo I needed another stay at a different location - and thus moved from the comparatively posh Sleep Inn. First you will notice the really banged up furniture. When you try to sleep you will notice the draft from the door (and see light around the door - in desperate need of weatherstripping!); this was a night in the low 30s and despite the heat being on there was a steady breeze from around the door. My son had the bed near the door and was freezing all night On a good note, the sheets were clean as was the tiny, tiny bathroom. It looked like the bathtub/shower had been refaced with granite so it looked good in comparison to the rest of the room. TV worked fine. There was a fridge and a microwave. We were so tired when getting back to the room that it was okay but this would not be my first choice (or even my 10th choice) on a stay in the area again. The breakfasts are the typical Choice selection although this was lacking anything hot except the waffle. Bagels, English muffins, packaged hard boiled eggs, sausage patties (cold), cheese slices, make your own waffle, apples, bananas, yogurts. Right next to hotel is China Buffet, KFC, and Wendy's. For the rate $58.99 with AAA, I may be a little harsh but for only a few dollars ($9) more you can stay at the Sleep Inn right near the mall. And it is a huge mall surrounded by other smaller centers so you have a choice of restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank b d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were disappointed with this hotel, which is becoming a more frequent experience with Quality Inns and Comfort Inns. Too many of them are shabby with rundown rooms, noisy air/heat units, and mediocre food at breakfast. Our room at this hotel was extremely drafty (we could see daylight) around the door and also the A/C unit. And although the breakfast room was large, the food set-up was awkward which slowed down the process during peak times. Also, the front desk girl decided to get her breakfast during a busy time when customers were waiting to get theirs. But our biggest gripe is that "special offers" by Choice Hotels are definitely not worth it. We were signed up for their "stay two nights, get one night free" offer, but what they don't tell you is that it's all based on points and that the points you earn from a two-visit stay are NOT enough to earn a free night. What a rip! We are changing to another hotel brand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GoRoadie
lawrenceville
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were in Winston-Salem for the weekend, and were fortunate to find a room since Wake Forest had a game and Winston-Salem had homecoming.

The hotel must have recently upgraded their beds and bathrooms and appliances. This is noticeable especially since the rest of the room looks a little dated. Nothing is bad, and the bed is worth the price of the room. The mattress is new, the linens are clean and once I closed my eyes, I didn't even notice the knick on the coffee table:)

I would like to thank the front desk associate, Alicia, for doing a fine job in reserving us a non-smoking room. I have a hard time with smoke and especially "old smoke." The room was fresh and clean.

We will definitely stay here when we return to Winston-Salem.

Room Tip: Three buildings. We were in the 3rd building and didn't hear anything at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ingridfisher
Young Harris, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had free nights through both Wyndham Rewards and Choice Privileges so decided to split them up for balance by using one night at the Microtel in Winston Salem and two at the Quality Inn University in early July. We found both locations to be top quality for budget type establishments. Both were clean with good beds, televisions, and breakfast provisions which are the three most important needs under our simple travel needs. I would not hesitate to stay at either place again, in fact we had stayed at the Quality Inn during prior trips to the city. The rating of Very Good should not be considered a detriment but rather leaving it open for that very special facility that might rate a bit better grade.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jerry K
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I made reservations for two rooms via hotels.com. When I arrived at the hotel I was told that I only had one reservation. I ended up having to pay for the 2nd reservation again, on the spot. I came to find out that I had to provide the GUEST's name that was staying in the 2nd room, that is why the reservation did not show up. Silly me, I thought that since I PAID for both rooms, they would both be under my name. The front desk person should have asked if it was possible that the room was under another name, he did not. Then to make things worse, after the trip the Quality Inn management staff refused to provide me with a refund! So, I paid twice for the same room. This is unacceptable - I will never stay at a Quality Inn again.

Room Tip: Very simple - don't stay here..........
2 Thank Drock A
qualityinnuniversity, Webmaster at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn University for your recent stay in our area.

• The registration person received additional training in how to deal with registration problems.

• Management was approached about your refund situation.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn University. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We chose this for the location and the pool, which were both what we wanted. The room was way too crowded with furniture (who needs a giant armoire?) that needs upgrading, the air conditioning was noisy and inadequate and the towels and sheets were undersized, thin, and poor fitting on the beds.
There's a lot of traffic at the hotel, itinerant workers it seems, which made for night time noise.
There is a nice park across the street for walking, with a exercise trail.

The breakfast was the usual low protein, high carb fare and crowded most mornings because of the workers. The staff seemed tired and bored though polite.

Room Tip: get a room in the back section, away from the highway.
1 Thank Bonnie B
Quality_University, General Manager at Quality Inn University, responded to this review, July 19, 2013

Kiran Bhavsar
Quality Inn University Parkway
Granite Falls, North Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Ours was a one-night, two-room stay. Hotel grounds were clean and well-kept. Rooms were clean and affordable. My request for ground floor was honored.

When I initially entered my room, the air conditioning unit was performing poorly. Since I have a number of health issues, I returned to the front desk, requested another room, and the clerk graciously assigned me another room.

The free high-speed wireless internet access was slow but manageable.

The outdoor pool was a disappointment. Had a milky appearance and contained some ground debris. I don't think this was due to neglect on the hotel's part. Numerous storms had occurred on a daily basis prior to our arrival.

The free continental breakfast buffet was plentiful.

Front desk clerk was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your stay at our hotel.

Kiran Bhavsar