“Displaced!”

Quality Inn University
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have been staying at the Quality Inn for 3 weeks now, because I had an apartment fire. The Red Cross sent me here because they give displaced people like myself a discounted rate. After the Red Cross stopped paying for my room, they kept my rate the same. They know that I am in a difficult position, and they have been wonderful. I can't say enough about the staff and the owners. Not only is this a clean place to stay, they are very family friendly. I don't currently have a place of my own yet, but the staff makes me feel at home. I just wanted to say this is a great place to stay, even if it is by choice.

Room Tip: The rooms in second building, close to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel has the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. I wanted to take the mattress with me. I had a nice stay. I shopped around before I settled on this location, One of the hotels I checked out before I checked in to the Quality Inn was across the street, and the price was twice as much. I didn't want to pay that much for one night, I chose the Quality, and I was glad I did. The staff was very professional, the room was clean and the bed was awesome. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Any bed will be great, because of the beds
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Will A
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed at this location last year, and the property was under renovations,so I was weary about staying here again. Ended up staying a couple of days ago and I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds were really kept. The front desk staff was friendly. The rooms were clean and alot nicer than before. New televisions and upgraded microwaves and refridgerators, Clean pool and area. The best part of the room was the bed. Slept good. For a continental breakfast it was great.Great price for a clean place to stay. Sometimes it pays to try a place again before you grade it.

Room Tip: If you need a place where location, price, and cleanliness, this the place is great
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Several problems with this hotel. When we were there, the ice machine in our building didn't work, I didn't see any vending machines that were stocked (the ones I saw were all empty) and the plumbing was very confusing (the shower actually scalded my wife). Most disappointing was a credit card charge for $40 that appeared on our card a few days after our stay. According to the hotel, this was because of 'damage' to a bedspread (that we didn't even use!) At first, it seemed I was given the run-around when I called the hotel, and no one ever returned my calls. When I finally discussed this charge with the owner/manager, he asked if it was 'possible' that we somehow damaged the bedspread accidentally, implying that they could not have made an error. When I insisted that the charge be removed because we had not used the spread and could not have damaged it, he first claimed he "couldn't", then ultimately said that he "refused". In my opinion, it is places like this that bring dishonor and shame to the hotel industry in general.

Room Tip: My opinion? There are other places in the area to stay. Don't stay here! And if you find that...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
qualityinnuniversity, Webmaster at Quality Inn University, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon the receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance staff received additional training in seeing to it that all appliances are kept in proper working order.

• Maintenance staff was instructed to look into the matter of vending machine and Shower reported in the room to which you were first assigned and see to it that these amenities are well stocked

I hope that the next time you visit in our area; you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

when I pulled into the hotel parking lot and saw the blue dumpster sitting out front my first thought was to bail, but still since I had a reservation I figured I'd give it a shot. when i entered the lobby it looked as if it was being worked on and I was greeted by the desk lady phyllis who was a lot of fun, still doubtfull about the room based on the lobby I asked her if i could cancel she told me I could if I wanted to since it was only around 3:20pm I couldn't believe this sweettalker phyllis convinced me to checking out the room, it was remodeled kind of retro and have to say I liked the mojo needless to say I ended up staying the night althogh the furniture could use some updating over all the place was not too shabby

Room Tip: I think they renovated the whole hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scott w

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC. I am so sorry that you experienced some unpleasantness of which you have informed us. Immediate steps have been taken to have these things looked into and dealt with properly.

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• The staff phyllis was informed of the nice comment you made about them and received our commendation for the courteous way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• The housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness expected of them as our employees.

Thank you for your help in meeting these standards by reporting what you experienced.

I think that you will find your next stay at Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC to be a much pleasant one.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel was supposed to have the construction done by our check in date. The front dest clerk was rude. We got to the room and it was small, dirty, and not worth any money. Trying to use the phone proved to be point less, as it did not work. We were in the room for 5 minutes when the person that was working in the completely torn apart lobby started hammering loudly just below our room. It was nasty and we did not even stay the night, we were there for 15 minutes before we checked out and went to a good hotel. I will never stay there again. It was nasty and the people were not friendly at all. Never again. I am still angry that we were charged at all for the room, as we did only stay for 15 minutes. Also not child friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tankerswife10

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• The man working at the reception desk received additional training in the proper, courteous manner in which he is to treat our valued guests.

• We shared your report of the evolving smell to the management, maintenance and housekeeping in the hope that they can see that this does not happen to any more of our valued guests.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Hotel was under construction; accommodations were AWFUL; rodents, ants and whatever else you can think of was in the rooms! My niece had to change rooms a couple of times. Apparently the owner/manager was concerned about the almighty dollar NOT the comfort of their patrons!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC for your recent stay in our area. I am so sorry for the reason for your visit. You do have my sincerest sympathy during this hard time.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The management was approached to see what could be done to make our valued guests feel comfortable.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Quality Inn University Winston Salem, NC. I think you will be greatly pleased.