“Ok, but could have been better”

Courtyard Winston-Salem University
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Midsouth US
“Ok, but could have been better”
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I just returned from my stay at this hotel. It's location is perfect for visits to Wake Forest which is why I chose it. However, the second day of my stay, the coffee cups and sugar and creamer were not replenished in my room, nor was the hair dryer picked up and returned to its proper location. The room was attractive but small, and no mirror was available over the dresser, only one in the bathroom area. The breakfast was not free, and that was disappointing. I stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown just prior to moving to this hotel to be closer to the campus. Certainly, this hotel is less expensive than Embassy Suites, but without the free breakfast, the free evening manager's reception, and the extra "care for touches" at the Embassy Suites, the location and the price were the this hotel's best features.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank megareader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2006

This was probably the nicest two night stay at a Courtyard we have ever experienced. The reception staff was extremely friendly and efficient. They gave us perfect directions to Bonefish Grill even though they admitted Winston-Salem was a chicken and barbecue city. The room was very, very clean - the motel is undergoing a renovation process - but we were not at all disturbed by the process. The buffet breakfast was great (not included in the room rate - but reasonable) and the staff was so very friendly. In fact, each and every employee greeted us with a smile and a "hello". The location is perfect for a visit to Wake Forest University - which is why we were there.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank goandgo
Reviewed December 5, 2005

The hotel was in decent condition. My room was nice and we enjoyed the indoor jacuzzi.

But, the absolute best service I have ever received was after I left my iPod ($300 value) on the bed in the room upon check-out. When I returned home, I called the hotel and was told that it was FOUND and was mailed to my home. I thought my iPod was gone forever, and was so surprised my the honesty of these employees! I sent a letter to the manager thanking him and thanking all of the employees.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2005

I was over on business, and was really surprised how good this hotel was. The rooms were nothing to get over excited about, but were spacious and clean and comfy.

The pool was great with a good size patio area with sunbeds. The buffet breakfast was really good with a great selection and they also had out in the foyer free bottles of water, sodas and fruit which was a nice touch.

Overall very happy and would stay in this hotel again if in this area

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
United States
Reviewed June 4, 2005

I have always thought Courtyards to be slightly nicer than your run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn, but unfortunately I found that this was not the case in WS. The room was adequate for our needs, but several annoyances still shone through: uncomfortable beds, old-looking areas of the bathroom and entryway, uncomfortable A/C... One thing that did disappoint was the lack of a free breakfast, promised over the phone. However this does appear to be the best thing near campus, so I suppose it will have to do unless one doesn't mind staying in the Hanes Mall area.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2004

I stayed at the Courtyard down the road from Wake Forest University twice this spring, and I was delighted with this little hotel. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. For both of my trips, I arrived very late at night and received a very pleasant welcome from the front desk staff on duty. I had one minor problem (light smell of smoke in room) that was resolved quickly (assigned to another room w/no smoke). In the mornings, I found the staff to be efficient and helpful as I headed off to visit Wake Forest University. I was also happy with the light breakfasts that I got in the hotel's restaurant. If you need a convenient and reasonably priced place to stay while visiting Wake Forest University, I recommend the Courtyard.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2003

We used to stay at the Hampton Inn across the road and I must say, the Hamtpon Inn has better rooms, free breakfast, better service and is cheaper. I found this hotel to be pretty unimpressive...