“Not up to typical Courtyard standards” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Courtyard Winston-Salem University
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Roanoke, Virginia
“Not up to typical Courtyard standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

As I sit in my room at the Courtyard Marriott Winston-Salem University at the end of a three night stay, the smell of mildew reminds me that this facility has some problems that keep it from reaching typical Courtyard standards. It's not in a great part of town - a run-down neighborhood that's not especially close to good traveler infrastructure (restaurants, coffee, shopping). (It is close to Wake Forest University, so would be convenient for visitors there). The fitness room is poorly-equipped; the whirlpool closed during my stay. There's an industrial fan running constantly on the floor outside my room, and a pervasive, slight scent of mildew throughout the hotel - clearly they have air circulation problems. It wasn't enough for me to ask to change rooms, but anyone who is sensitive to such things should be wary. In addition, I found trash on the far side of the room beside the bed and my phone hasn't worked properly for my stay. I've been here on business and have hardly been in the room except to sleep (comfortable bed) and eat breakfast (decent buffet for $8.50); otherwise I would be more dissatisfied. I will say that the staff has been very friendly and competent.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Smell of mildew
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

I had a pleasant stay with no issues.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
NC coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

This hotel is in a very run down part of the city. I arrived with my 17 yr. old daughter 30 minutes after the check in time. We had just driven 6 hours to get there. They did not have a double room for us even though I had booked it 3 weeks in advance. They offered us a King room, which we did not want. There were many closed and deserted businesses around. I did not feel safe in this deserted area. I could also tell that it probably wouldn't have clean rooms either because even the lobby was run rown. I went to my car and booked a room at the Marriot Downtown. I wrote a review on that as well if you care to read it. I did alot of research before making my trip
Unless you are not used to much, this would be a fine place to stay, otherwise, look further

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ElizabethNCcoast
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

I recently had one of the worst hotel experiences of my life at this hotel. It all started when we got to the hotel, and we weren’t checked in properly and had to return to the desk to be checked in correctly.

My sister was there for surgery so we asked for and received adjoining rooms. As soon as we walked into our rooms, we could tell the room reeked of mold and mildew. Since she had to go to surgery and we had to have connecting rooms, we decided that we would just put up with the mold. However, by the end of the second day my husband and I were so sick that we decided that we had to change rooms. On the third day, we asked to be moved, and we were given a second room beside our original room- this room too reeked of mold.

Housekeeping sent up a maintenance man to service the a/c unit, but all he did was spray the unit and carpet with Lysol. From the comments made by the front desk staff, it seemed this is a problem they are familiar with. I also asked several other guests if they had a problem with their rooms and one man said his family was also on their third room.

We finally got a third room after I made a stink, which was fine and thought our problems were over, but…

When we checked out of the hotel the next day, we discovered that since we weren’t checked in correctly, the rate code we used to book our room didn’t show up on the screen. We had to call central reservations get the code honored.

Aside from these main concerns, I called to request poly pillows instead of feather pillows. The receptionist took my request and then called back five minutes later to ask me what I had asked for since she couldn’t read her writing; when housekeeping brought the pillows, they were feather!! (I had to explain to him how to tell the
difference b/t a feather pillow and a poly pillow since he said it was only his second day at work, so I do feel bad for him- poor training!)

Finally, as the last straw, we wanted to use the spa; however, it was
closed because they were “painting” it; no one touched it for the entire four days we were there. The only reason we went to this hotel
was to use the spa! It clearly was just broken.

Plus, the bathtub had some soap scum build up!

Throughout this process, the staff was unfailingly polite, kind, and helpful but seemed very poorly trained and many of them said they were new. The woman at the front desk was very helpful but seemed to have a lot on her plate. I will think twice about going out of my way to stay at a Marriott again.

On plus side, the people in this city are amazingly kind. I would never have thought to visited here but will go back since I enjoyed the other parts of my visit; old town and the Children's Museam were great.

We are just now starting to be able to breathe again. Save yourself!

• Liked — nice staff
  • Disliked — Mold Mold expensive breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank kmr2r
Midsouth US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

I just returned from my stay at this hotel. It's location is perfect for visits to Wake Forest which is why I chose it. However, the second day of my stay, the coffee cups and sugar and creamer were not replenished in my room, nor was the hair dryer picked up and returned to its proper location. The room was attractive but small, and no mirror was available over the dresser, only one in the bathroom area. The breakfast was not free, and that was disappointing. I stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown just prior to moving to this hotel to be closer to the campus. Certainly, this hotel is less expensive than Embassy Suites, but without the free breakfast, the free evening manager's reception, and the extra "care for touches" at the Embassy Suites, the location and the price were the this hotel's best features.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — housekeeping
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank megareader
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

This was probably the nicest two night stay at a Courtyard we have ever experienced. The reception staff was extremely friendly and efficient. They gave us perfect directions to Bonefish Grill even though they admitted Winston-Salem was a chicken and barbecue city. The room was very, very clean - the motel is undergoing a renovation process - but we were not at all disturbed by the process. The buffet breakfast was great (not included in the room rate - but reasonable) and the staff was so very friendly. In fact, each and every employee greeted us with a smile and a "hello". The location is perfect for a visit to Wake Forest University - which is why we were there.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank goandgo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2005

The hotel was in decent condition. My room was nice and we enjoyed the indoor jacuzzi.

But, the absolute best service I have ever received was after I left my iPod ($300 value) on the bed in the room upon check-out. When I returned home, I called the hotel and was told that it was FOUND and was mailed to my home. I thought my iPod was gone forever, and was so surprised my the honesty of these employees! I sent a letter to the manager thanking him and thanking all of the employees.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business