“Nicely renovated but no free breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Winston-Salem University

Courtyard Winston-Salem University
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Denver
“Nicely renovated but no free breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

PROS: Internet faster than most. Nicely renovated rooms. Large outdoor pool. Walk down the street to a wooded picnic area in a cul-de-sac. Right by the stadium.
CONS: No free breakfast. No affiliation with nearby health club.

I stayed here because the Fairfield at the Hanes Mall was sold out for 1 week. Hotels by the Hanes Mall are newer and much nicer.

But this hotel was up to Marriott standards. I wish they got rid of the "Bistro" and brought back the free breakfasts. No microwave in room. I would probably not stay here again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for leaving your comments. We love to recieve feedback from our guest. Your The Courtyard brand does not offer free breakfast, but some of our rates do include breakfast if you choose that option. I welcome the opportunity for you to come back, and breakfast will be on me! Again thank you for the wonderful review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel was very clean, quiet and convenient for events at the WFU stadium. You don't even need to drive. I was impressed with the staff - everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. I attended a meeting at the stadium that reserved a block of rooms. I booked my room too late to take advantage of the block room rate, but they gave me the rate anyway when I checked in. I even left several items in the bathroom after I checked out, and their staff found them and mailed everything to me within the week. I would definitely stay here again! The only downfall and why I didn't give them 5 stars was that the Internet was out that night so I wasn't able to get online in my room, but there were computers in the lobby that were connected - I just didn't feel like getting out of my pjs.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Caligrl2013 thank you so much for the great comments about the hotel and the staff. We are deilghted that you enjoyed your stay, and experienced our newly renovated hotel. I'm not sure why the internet was not working, I will look into that for you. We look forward to accommodating you the next time you are in this area!
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

After I had tickets in hand for Elton John, I found that this hotel was walking distance the coliseum. So I booked a room in advance and got a good price. The rooms were nice and clean, newly renovated. Check-in was easy, though for some reason they did not charge my card in advance, so I had to pay when we got there. Public areas were clean and well lit, they had computers to use if needed, and food was available without leaving the premises. There are drinks in the lobby and you can buy snacks or beers as well. I got a drink that cost me 12 bucks and it was not big, so it is pricey! The hallways have low ceilings and have a tunnel like feel. The staff were very helpful and overall its a good place to stay. If you are seeing a concert at LJVM, this is the place to go! You can walk to a few restaruants nearby, including putters (see my review), a bbq joint and a few others, so you can park and not worry about driving!
It is not a spuer fancy place so if you are a four seasons regular, you may not be thrilled.
Overall a clean place with great staff and everything you need, so I recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank music_fanatic1
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We appreciate your review. Our hotel provides convenience and a great location. We are very happy with the newly renovated rooms and re so glad that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well yes after securing tickets to see Elton John,(my wifes favorite) I would walk to see him as he is excelleant in concert. I would walk beacuse I was lucky enough to get a room at the Courtyard right next to the LJVM where he was playing. Can you say accross the street. If you have any function at Wake Forest University this Marriott is more than adequate. Not sure why some have posted mixed reviews because this place has been renovated, the rooms are fresh and the beds are comfortable. Pillows, bathroom, soaps, all are top shelf. The staff was warm and friendly and went out of their way with suggestions, directions and Starbucks in the Bistro is a plus. (I would have the coffee available all day instead of closing at 10am. The place has some good resturants around it and all and all the place is a great value for AAA members. I do know that some, after the concert, had trouble parking in to hotel because the hotel did not police the parking lot and several concert goers took some spaces to save money. We did not have that problem as we parked and walked to dinner and the show. A great show; a great night; a special weekend and the Courtyard by Marriott added to the experience. Go you will not be sorry, this hotel was worth the money, great loacation.

Room Tip: Putters accross the street great food.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff and the hotel as a whole. Our staff is eager to assist our guest. Consider us your home away from home! Thank you for the suggestion about the parking lot as well. We value your feedback. Hope to see you back soon.

Ellicott City, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night during a mini-vacation in North Carolina. The hotel is very close to the Wake Forest campus, so if you are interested in seeing the school, it's a great location. The hotel was very clean; we suspected it had been recently renovated, and in fact, the lobby had been. Every staff member was very friendly and helpful - from front desk to lobby bistro. In fact, the ladies in the bistro went out of their way to help people even if they came after the posted meal hours! The pool was outdoors, so we were unable to take advantage of that in the colder weather of March. The hotel is located on a busy street, but noise was not an issue. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to the opportunity to accomodate you again!

Kind regards,

Vickie
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is an older building (old school 2 story hotel) that has been immaculately renovated. My colleagues and I were greeted immediately upon our arrival by a warm and caring staff. They not only checked us in quickly, but went out of their way to help us with directions to our morning meeting.

The room was very nice, modern, and appropriately appointed given the price point. Nothing over the top, but it what I expect from Marriott. In addition, the room was quiet and the bed comfortable. The mattress was a little firm for my taste, but it did not impede my ability to have a good sleep. The best part was the pillows. Instead of having 5-8 small, square shaped, pillows on the bed, they had 4 regular king sized pillows. It was exactly what you expect to see on a bed.

If I go there again on business, I will certainly make this hotel a first choice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for the awesome review! The updates to the hotel are well recieved by our guest and that makes us very happy. Your comments help us to remain successful and provide the best service possible. Let us know if we can assist you with those future reservations!

Kind regard,

Director of Sales
Tupelo, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Have stayed here before. Very friendly staff, they always know me when I arrive. They always remember the rooms I like which is also nice. The bistro staff are very friendly an attentive. I have never had a problem with this hotel and I will continue to stay here. Keep up the good work. Also, the the newly renovated rooms are wonderful.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. If you need a Feather Free room let the staff know ahead of time and they...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so proud of our renovations, and delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Customers like you make our job so enjoyable! Look forward to seeing you soon!