“Great place to stay for college visits”

Courtyard Winston-Salem University
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Tennessee
“Great place to stay for college visits”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just got back from WInston-Salem and Durham taking my high school daughter visiting several colleges in the area. We stayed at the COurtyard Marriott WInston-Salem on our first night while visiting Wake Forest University. This hotel was recommended by the Wake Forest Admissions staff for its close proximity to the school, and it was extremely close! Good choice. I had stayed there several years ago with another child visiting Wake Forest, and the hotel has changed a little bit since the last time we were there. They now have a Starbucks coffee cafe in the lobby with breakfast options. This is a great idea. We arrived late in the evening but I understand that they also serve dinner as well. Staff was amazingly friendly at our late check in and very helpful in getting us to Wake Forest the next day, then gave great directions to UNC/Chapel Hill. Our room was comfortable and overall a very pleasant experience,. I would recommend this hotel if you are college visiting because of its proximity to Wake Forest.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you so much for writing this wonderful post about our Courtyard! It is our sincere pleasure to accomodate you and your family while in WInston-Salem. Location is ideal when visiting colleges. We hope that you will stay with us again if you choose Wake Forest University. The staff at the Welcome Center are great, are we appreciate the referrals. If I can do anything to assist you, or answer any questions please let me know!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This courtyard revamped its own breakfast buffet into a "bistro." The bistro is nice in the evening where you can get a beer and light food for dinner. This was never available before and is a very nice upgrade.

But they also removed the breakfast buffet and replaced it with the bistro. This has the effect of raising the price for Oatmeal, Yogurt, and Fruit which is OK I suppose. But it also meant that you have to wait for the oatmeal. I waited 22 minutes for the oatmeal on Jan 24th, despite repeatedly asking what was taking so long. This is completely unacceptable considering that this is a business hotel (at least it is for me) and that business travelers are not looking for a leisurely breakfast. The quality of the food was fine, I just did not want to wait 22 minutes to get it.

Management told was unapologetic and said they were crowded and told me that other Courtyards are moving in this direction too. I was at another Courtyard later that week and found the same fast buffet breakfast that I've come to expect -- despite the other Courtyard being sold out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Bistro is a new addition to our hotel, and even though we strive to provide timely orders and good quality food, we fell a little below the mark. Please except my sincere apologies for your inconvenience, and if you are in Winston-Salem in the near future please allow us another opportunity to accomodate you.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was a business trip & I didn't pick the hotel, so after reading some of the past reviews I was thinking "oh great a stinky moldy hotel!" There was no smell. The room was clean & updated. Staff was friendly. Free wifi. Great stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maria S
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! The entire staff strives everyday to exceed our customers expectations. We are so grateful for customers like you, and look forward to accomodating you in the future!
Rochester, NY
Reviewed December 2, 2011

WOW - what a great place to rest my head after a busy day of traveling and business meetings. Staff was super friendly, hotel was clean - trust me i look things over good. No dust behind any furniture! I am actually shocked at some of the other reviews because I had a fantastic experience here. Arrived at 8:00 pm and asked the front desk person where to go for a chicken salad and he pointed to the bistro in the lobby. AMAZING SALAD - seriously, it was a nice portion the bistro staff was helpful and accomodating. Don't pass this up!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you so much for this wonderful review. The entire staff appreciates you for taking time out of your day to let us know that you enjoyed your stay. We strive everyday to provide clean and comfortable accomodations. Customers like you measure our success and we thank-you! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Winston-Salem.
Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Great hotel and friendly staff. We love the new bistro. Very close to BB&T field and the Wake Forest campus

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GoDeacs420
Reviewed August 18, 2011

roaches. Though the location is great, and from the lobby it appeared to be a clean, trendy hotel, it was damp, musty, and we found roaches in our room. my family and I immediately checked out and faced a bit of resistance when attempting to get out well deserved refund!

not a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank planesandtrains1
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share this with the entire staff so that we can correct this incident to ensure that it will not happen again. I apologize that your stay was not pleasent for you or your family. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to accomodate you when you are in Winston-Salem. Your business is really appreciated.
St.Louis,MO
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Every time we stay at this hotel, it is an enjoyable experience. The newly renovated hotel reflected the hospitality of the kind, courteous and friendly attitude of the employees. The changes provide a pleasant enviroment with amenities that all guests will appreciate. The staff was informative about the area and very willing to share their knowledge. I am looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CourtyardWS, Director of Sales at Courtyard Winston-Salem University, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
It is our goal to provide an inviting and comfortable accomodations during your time in Winston-Salem. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our Courtyard. It is an added bonus that you made the time to share your experience. If we can assist you with future reservations please let us know, and a member of our staff will be happy to assist you.

Regards,