“Brookstown January 2014”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Gainesville, Georgia
“Brookstown January 2014”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at Brookstown during a cold January weekend. We were pleasantly surprised by the layout and the size of the room which was a 2 level queen suite. We found few of the issues that some reviewers noted. There was plenty of heat and hot water. The room was clean and well appointed, the bathroom spartan but functional. The exposed brick walls and wooden ceilings are a nice touch in a historic inn.

Our room had a Keurig, microwave and small fridge, tv in the bedroom area and the sitting area. The cable TV didn't appear to have HD but not a big deal. We weren't there to spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway.

The wine and cheese reception was a nice touch which included locaL NC wine.

Overall. We had a wonderful weekend at Brookstown and will stay there again.

Room Tip: For an extra $20 per night over the standard rooms, the suites are a good deal. Our room was on the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I'm not a history buff. I generally look for new hotels because I like modern technology and contemporary decor. This hotel had neither, but I enjoyed my stay immensely.
The check in process for our 2 night stay was fast and the front desk clerk was pleasant and made it a point to show us where breakfast would be served and where the wine and cheese reception took place. We were given 2 poker chips each to exchange for glasses of wine - we used them all our first night and neglected to find out if that was for one night or two; we were not in the hotel for the reception our second night. The reception was very nice - choice of red or white wine, cheese cubes and fresh blueberries, with adequate seating and enough room for privacy if you choose not to mingle with other guests. There are plenty of sitting areas throughout the hotel, and a charming bricked courtyard with tables and chairs which I imagine would be wonderful to use in nice weather. There is a hotel cat, typically cat - standoffish, who hangs out in the lobby, tolerating human affection. She is a nice, homey touch.
Our room was a spacious king suite. It had a sitting area with a sofa and chairs, a decorative (non-functional, light bulb type) fireplace, refrigerator and microwave. The ceiling was high, with exposed beams and tall windows. A loft, about 6 steps above the sitting area, contained the bed, dresser and TV armoire, and a large bathroom with a soaking tub with shower. The furnishings are, I guess, intentionally "shabby chic" but functional, to fit with the historic theme. I did not turn on the TV (that's not what I do on vacation) but noticed it was fairly small and analog, so don't plan on hooking up your computer to watch a movie.
The beds were very comfortable with nice sheets and sufficient blankets and pillows. We had no trouble adjusting the room temperature to our liking.
Breakfast was Continental style, with an impressive variety of baked goods - bagels, muffins, pastries, etc. Other reviewers might complain that they are generic thawed frozen pastries, but unless you're at a hotel with a pastry chef, that's what you're going to get almost anywhere. There was yogurt and beautiful fresh berries and fruit, juice, coffee, cereal and milk - even almond milk, something I've never seen at a buffet, and as a vegetarian I appreciate that thoughtfulness.
A few cons marred an otherwise wonderful experience. First, even during the day with the lights on, the room was a little too dark. Unless the blinds are fully open (and, in our ground level room, exposing you to the parking lot) it was hard to see. I worried a little about missing a step and falling down the stairs from the loft, and had trouble finding dark items in my suitcase. Also, there were too few electric outlets. There was only one bedside table, whose outlets were taken up by the lamp and clock. I like to charge my phone each night near my bed, so I can hear it if it rings. I ended up charging my phone in the bathroom.
There was another problem, one I had never experienced before. My Android phone could connect to the wireless router, but not the Internet. When I called the front desk to ask if there was a password or some gateway page I needed to go through first, I was told the Android phones are hardwired in such a way that makes them incompatible with their router. Really? I had to use precious mobile data (I have teenagers!) on my smartphone while at the hotel, and the free Wi-Fi was useless for my Galaxy tablet, as well as the Kindle of a traveling companion. Friends with Ipads had no trouble connecting. I have never experienced this situation before at a hotel, and I spent some time trying to find out if there was some setting I was missing, to no avail. I was shocked that this inadequacy was dismissed so lightly. A quick Google search reveals that Android is on about half the tablets now sold and 80% smartphones sold worldwide. Whoever set up the wifi system needs to look into this, or, if it's not truly the case, the staff needs to be able to explain how Android users can connect.
Lastly, our ceiling leaked during a heavy rainstorm. It was a minor inconvenience; the carpet was cleaned up while we were out and the rain stopped so it didn't bother us anymore, but I see from older reviews that this is a long standing problem which needs to be but has not yet been corrected. Our carpet was dry, but somewhere above, in the ceiling or in between floors, there was probably water, and in the South water leads to mold.
I imagine it is a great challenge to convert a very old building to a hotel. People want it to look and feel old and charming but to have all the modern conveniences. The Brookstown Inn is almost, but not quite, there.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joanne H
BrookstownInn, General Manager at Brookstown Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for your business, and your comments. We are always trying to improve our guest experience, and your suggestions are very important to the success of our hotel.
We hope that you try us again, as we are always looking for way to improve our guests experience. Thank You
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We went with a group of friends to get away for the weekend in Winston and stayed at the Brookstown Inn. The Inn is set in a remodeled cotton factory/warehouse which was awesome if like large historic buildings. The rooms are large with a loft style set-up. There is a living area in the lower section with a table, a fake fire place, a desk with a chair, a TV and couch. Then the bed and bathroom is elevated a few steps up. Very nice. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about the restaurants in the area. Especially Ondra who was fun, helpful and perky first thing in the morning. On our first night we ate at the Meridian which is just across the parking lot, which was fantastic as well. While the Brookstown Inn does serve a nice continental breakfast, we wanted something more substantial and went to Mary's a few blocks up the next morning based on a staff recommendation. The only negative thing about the room was the fake fireplace, but even then it wasn't that bad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at the Brookstown Inn for three days in November 2013 while we were visiting Wake Forest University. Brookstown is an old, historic mill wonderfully re-purposed as a hotel. Our room was huge with high ceilings and exposed brick walls. The beds were extremely comfortable and they had lots of pillows. The bathroom was beautifully appointed and also quite spacious. A generous continental breakfast was served each morning in a lovely dining room with set tables. In the evening they served wine and my favorite.... fresh baked cookies and milk between 8-9. Fans of local history will enjoy the pictures and extensive information posted in the Inn's lobby.

I hope my son ends up going to Wake Forest because then we will be able to stay in the Brookstown Inn again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2014

we stopped at this hotel as we traveled south. We were tired after driving some 400 miles and decided to find a hotel near Winston Salem.
We picked the Brookstown, because it was highly rated in all categories.
What a wonderful historic inn ... Rooms were spacious and beds were excellent.
I can,t comment on the area as we arrived late and left early
Will definitely be coming back to explore Winston Salem and will stay at the Brookstown

If I didn,t use certain facilities I rated them"Average" because everything else truly was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We recently spent the Christmas holiday at the Brookstown Inn. The entire staff was outstanding (with one minor exception), the recessed lobby area was absolutely charming complete with a spectacular tree and huge fireplace, complimentary wine and cheese at 5:00pm, cookies and milk at 8:00pm, and free continental breakfast every morning. The rooms are beautifully decorated with four-poster beds, sitting areas, and a huge armoir in the room along with an enormous closet. Located practically in Old Salem, it is a short walk to all the best historical sites in the historic district. We will definitely make the Brookstown our home away from home on subsequent visits to Winston-Salem.

Room Tip: Ask for room 304!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I purchased a "One Night Stay -- Two Timeless Traditions" package, which included tickets to Old Salem and The Reynolda House Museum of American Art. The inn was beautifully decorated for Christmas. We loved our spacious room and the easy walk to Old Salem. Before dinner, we enjoyed complimentary wine and cheese in the lounge. We even received a gift bag with wine, ginger cookies, and helpful guides. When you're visiting Old Salem this is definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends