“Overpriced Frozen Fare”

BLEU Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
BLEU Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 669 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Griffith
Transit: Bus stop nearby
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have been wanting to try this restaurant for at least a year and just have never made it over there. I went last night and was excited to try something new. The building and decor were beautiful and we were seated right away. I guess that should have been the first clue about our upcoming experience since they had availability at 7:30pm on a Friday night (when any other restaurant of this caliber usually has at least a 45 minute wait at the same time).

The waitress was friendly, took our drink orders, and brought out fresh bread and olive oil for dipping. I ordered one of the specials, surf and turf - an 8oz sirloin and shrimp with collard greens and mashed potatoes for $17- and my companion ordered the blackened catfish with hoe cakes for $20.

The food arrived quickly and we were both anticipating a great meal. My meal was good overall. The steak was cooked perfectly and was tender. The gravy provided on the side was flavorful. The collards were also cooked perfectly and I could've eaten another helping! The "surf" was three shrimp that were obviously previously frozen (they were watery and cold). There had been no attempt to grill, saute, or broil them prior to service. The mashed potatoes were okay, but they mixed in canned mushrooms.

My companion's meal was significantly worse. The catfish was spicy and overshadowed the sides. The hoe cakes were room temperature and were uniform in shape, color, and size (potentially frozen?). The mixed vegetables served were still partially frozen to the point of not being edible. Sadly, that was the entire meal.

I ordered cheesecake (raspberry was the flavor of the day) and it was VERY raspberry. I couldn't tell if it had been previously frozen or not.

The atmosphere can be amazing and the service impeccable, but if the food doesn't measure up, the restaurant is a fail in my book. Based on this experience, I will certainly not be going back.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Found this wonderful place using Open Table and searching for restaurants that could take a party of 5 on Mother's Day. This one popped up and we booked it and drove an hour to it. I will be back! Great food and service. Rib-eye steaks were the best I have had. Opened by two owners of another 5 star restaurant in the area. Eclectic menu with seasonal items. Deserts were all homemade and my white chocolate creme brulee was fabulous. My wife raved about her roast duck. Our three children loved the food too. Don't let location in the parking lot of the La Quinta Hotel put you off - this is a Foodies Place.

1  Thank ghself
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I travel a lot to Winston Salem and I have been here about 4 times. I like their specials. last time had the Seared Tuna
Chinese Hot Mustard, Wasabi, Cucumber Red Onion& Peanut Salad. I really enjoy this place and will make more of point of going here over Tavern Grill or Jimmy's Seafood

2  Thank rmdtmd
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We joined friends for dinner at Bleu on a Saturday night. The parking lot is tiny and we ended up parking on the street. Prom attendees were abundant with fancy dresses, drama and noise. The server was very knowledgeable and helpful but the table was very small for four adults, wine, water and serving dishes. My husband had the scallops and risotto which were very good. I hade a seafood fettuccini which was also very tasty. We ordered the apple crumble pie with ice cream for dessert, which was not warmed... The pie would have been much better warmed!
Overall our experience was good but not something I would make a special trip to Winston for.
We like to sit and talk to our friends and the noise level made that difficult.

1  Thank lperonto
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Dined here just because Bleu was close to our hotel. We did a reservation but one was not needed even on Friday night. We had water and focaccia bread delivered promptly. The olive oil for dipping had a kick due to red pepper flakes. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a nice starter. The veggie spring rolls came hot but were too greasy. Entrees were delicious, my wife had grilled shrimp and I had a stuffed flounder. We skipped dessert but the next table over ordered a variety and their coconut cheesecake looked wonderful. Brittany served us and even at 6 months pregnant, she was pleasant and attentive. The small room where we were seated was very noisy due to a raucous table of 8 who clearly had too much to drink.