“Very poor execution in the kitchen.”

Meridian Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 659 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: French, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very poor execution in the kitchen.”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My veal scaloppini was tough and the flavor was just not good. My husband's lamb was not good either. We paid $135 for this meal for Valentines Day...wow, so disappointing.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Shoregal711

• Arabic first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“One of Winston-Salem's Best”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Without doubt, Meridian is one of Winston-Salem's best restaurants. At the upper end in terms of price, it is never the less a value because of the quality of food and service. Last night it presented a near perfect French onion soup (broth could have had a bit more depth and flavor) and a lobster and homemade pasta combination in a delicious cream sauce. The sauce was light enough that the delicate pasta smacking of freshness held its own. Hearty serving and a generous amount of lobster. Service by a veteran WS server Calvin Pena who is among the city's most professional. Knew the menu and was helpful with ordering. Enough service and attention without hovering.. Talented chef/owner Mark Groham is always on site and last night was in the open kitchen cooking. His insists on buying local and uses top notch ingredients. A memorable meal..

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank cleggett336
Winston-Salem, NC
“Maybe we chose the wrong dish”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is an upscale restaurant that has been open for about 5 years, but this was our first visit. We had heard good things, and decided to try it after Christmas. It's located on the bottom floor of a new building near Old Salem. It has a modern feel, open with lots of windows but no view except of other buildings. I noticed the floor is concrete with no covering, which was a surprising choice since the finish was not attractive, at least to me. There is a large bar area to the right as you enter, and the kitchen area is open for viewing as is the case in many modern restaurants.

We had reservations, but on this night we were early diners (5 pm) and we were the only customers for an hour until a party of 8 came in. We were of course seated right away and our waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. The menu is full of unusual items, and changes frequently though I think many of the core selections remain. Where else might you find Texas antelope or NC rabbit? The waiter said they sometimes offer lamb (not on the menu that night) and duck (which was on the menu).

My wife ordered the steak tartare as an appetizer, and I went with the French Onion Soup. Personally, I'm not a fan of steak tartare, so I only sampled. My wife used to work at a culinary institute, and got to sample some of the student and teacher offerings. She said it wasn't as good as the tartare done at the school, but was nonetheless well done (pun intended). The soup was very good too. Not outstanding or memorable, but good. I personally like a darker broth, and this was a little more on the lighter side.

For the main meal, we ordered the NC grouper and the bistro steak with pommes frites. We shared these items so we could each form an opinion. This is where we think maybe we just picked the wrong dish. They were both nice entrees with fresh ingredients and nice presentation. But somehow, neither one was a hit with us. The fish was served in a tomato-based sauce, over grits as was clearly listed on the menu. The blend of flavors was not to my liking. My wife liked it a little better than I did, but only with a qualified nod. The bistro steak I think would have been excellent in another sauce, but we didn't care for the Meridian steak sauce that came on it. We could have asked for the sauce on the side, but we didn't. My wife thought it was too sweet, and I just didn't like the flavor. The pommes frites looked as though they were overcooked, but turned out to have a nice flavor after all.

Not a hit this time, but not a disaster either. We'll probably be back for another try, perhaps when lamb is on the menu.

• Visited December 2013
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Maybe our larger party went to Meridian when they were having an "off" night, but several of us were disappointed with our meals. My daughter and I opted for a "tapas" meal of appetizers. The French onion soup was overdone and otherwise not good -- between us, we did not finish it because it was just not good. We also got the bean soup -- it was served almost just above room temperature, the broth was bland, and I'm pretty sure that I could have made better (and I don't cook very much). The mussels in cream sauce had a very peculiar taste and we didn't eat many of them. The fried oysters were average at best. The one nice part of the meal was the vanilla creme brulee...nice custard with perfect crispy sugar crust on top. The service for our larger group was average.

• Visited December 2013
Coral Gables, Florida, USA
“Vegan surprise.”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The meal was excellent, and the staff quite knowlegeable. I dined with vegan friends, who were pleased.

Visited October 2013