“We always stop and buy”
Review of Winkler Bakery

Winkler Bakery
Ranked #2 of 28 Dessert in Winston Salem
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a great bakery that you will love. I like the bread cooked by fire, the Moravian cookies, and we load up on the sweets.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We try to stop at Winkler Bakery whenever we are in Winston-Salem.

You won't find fancy wedding cakes here; you find the 18th century version of your grocery store bread aisle.

On most visits, a guide gives a brief description of the baking process and offers samples. The educational tidbits enhance the enjoyment of the baked goods.

On our most recent visit, we purchased a whole bag full of goodies: two squares of sugar cake, apple strudel, cherry strudel, scones, chocolate dipped sugar cookies, hot cross buns, and pumpkin spice cookies. They had sold out of love feast buns. The scones were gone almost immediately. Five days later, only a few of the pumpkin spice cookies remain.

Gently heating the sugar cakes, love feast buns, strudels, and hot cross buns in a toaster oven or even in the microwave enhances the flavor. Plan to eat your baked goods quickly or freeze them since they aren't loaded with preservatives.

Winkler Bakery is one of the few places in Old Salem that doesn't require admission, and it is one of the best places in Old Salem.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Couldn't get in the Salem Tavern, as it was booked for hours, so bought some love feast (typical Moravian) rolls at the Winkler Bakery and ate them at a table upstairs with hot chocolate purchased upstairs at the Destinations Cafe. This bakery has very little in the way of fancy bakery foods--it is I suppose more like a traditional Moravian bakery with very basic bakery items. But the love feast rolls were fine, though not exciting. I especially enjoye the woman at the counter who sold me the rolls. She has just a wonderful accent, not like anything I had ever heard. I was guessing she was maybe from the Caribbean, and I told her I liked her accent and where was she from. She said she was from right there in Winston Salem.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

OMG...this was the coolest place, both educationally and gastronomically! You MUST buy pound cake...we bought 1/4 of every flavor, and they were all outstanding. Don't forget the ginger Moravian cookies and apple streudel too! Is your mouth watering yet? ;-)

Reviewed December 25, 2010

i purchased a chicken pie from winkler bakery about a week ago and a black lady charged me over 25.00 for this pie and it was'nt a bit better than the pies i get locally and the price was too high and i would love to hear from somebody from winkler bakery and tell me if this was the right price and if it was i will never buy another one from this place nor any of the baked goods,this chicken pie was extremely too high.i can buy chicken pies locally for 8.00 and they are real good,please let me hear from winkler bakery and my name is bill joyce-1511 scalesville rd. summerfield n.c. 27358 and my email address is b-joyce@att.net

4  Thank farmboy008