“Fresh, consistent, great value!”

Mooney's Mediterranean Cafe
Ranked #36 of 689 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Description: A Lebanese, family run restaurant in downtown Winston-Salem, NC. Serving great pita wraps, fresh ingredients, the best hummus and baba ghanooj around. Open for lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday. Hookahs offered after hours. Belly dancers perform once a month and other live, local entertainment play as well. For dinner try the Steak Frites featuring local grass fed beef from Apple Brandy Farms and off with Krankies Coffee and homemade Baklava ice cream from Blue Ridge Ice Creams.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I must have been to this restaurant at least once in every month for about 1.5 years before moving to Chicago. I always order the mixed appetizer plate with baba ganoush, but not hummus, since it usually comes with a main dish. My favorite dish is the chicken over rice. Their baklava ice cream is delicious, too.

After moving to Chicago, I tried a few middle Eastern restaurants searching for their baba ganoush, but have always been disappointed (at least so far). I miss them so much.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I make it a point to eat at Mooney's at least once a month, more if I can. I have loved everything I have ever eaten, but some dining companions who ordered spicy dishes thought they were *too* spicy. I think my favorite dish is the Tawook, and the Moussaka is delicious. The beer list is short but varied- a handful of craft beers, most local, and at least one Lebanese beer.
The staff have always been friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

AT first glance, this small restaurant near the old Reynolds building looks quite ordinary, but if you're willing to be adventurous, you can come here 5 times and be completely delighted and surprised without duplicating your selection. Even better, if you have vegans or vegetarians in your party, they will be delighted at the choices. I took a group of 6, all new to Mooneys...they all proclaimed it was their new favorite spot. The Tempeh sandwich was so delicious we asked to know the secret of the marinaded Tempeh, which was hand delivered by the "desigener" himself. The felafal, humus, vegetarian mousaka (with chick peas instead of meat) stuffed grape leaves, tabouleh and sauteed cauliflower were unmatched by any place in Winston.

We've been back a handful of times and stumbled across life music, evening houkah pipes, and very consistent food.

Its only achilles heel is that the flexible table set up lends itself to larger groups coming unannounced, we can cause a considerable backup in service. We once came in an hour before a movie at Aperture was to start, but were seated after a group of 12. OUr food arrived 5 minutes before we had to leave to the theatre.

1  Thank djscruggs
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Ok -- I got to Mooneys a lot. No, I mean a LOT. At least once a week if not twice. Almost always for lunch (I work 1 block away) but I've been to a few dinners -- and even a hookah outing. Love the place!

Rule of thumb -- if it sounds good, it will be. Period. They have lots of items I've never had before -- and they are all great (even if un-pronounceable) ..

Tuesdays are Falafel day! Any Falafel sandwich for only $3!!

I really like the mixed "small plate" platter you can make yourself -- 4 of whatever "appetizer" things you want. Great way to try new things!

2  Thank SJM-Weasel
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Great mediterranean food at a good price. Very quaint feel. I'd definitely visit again!