“Best Mexican in Winston...but if you're a fan of mi pueblo or la Carreta, you may not enjoy bc this is authentic, delicious, rea”

La Botana Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #172 of 661 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have been going to la botana for years, before it got all the best reviews and such. Everything we have gotten here has been AMAZING (except the fajitas, but fajitas never taste like much from what I have experienced in several different places, they're just fun to get because of the appearance). Okay so to start, the chips and salsa are by far the best I've ever had, then we always get the bean dip, which is also delicious. Over the years, we have probably ordered over half the menu, and everything is amazing, but by far, my favorite is the chicken in pipian sauce. Omg it is so delicious! I order corn tortillas and sour cream and make a little taco thing and it's just fantastic. Their chorizo is great, the soup with cactus that comes in the lava bowl is a favorite. It's just all good. So good.

The only drawback is the service. They are always so friendly and it seems like they have plenty of staff, but it sometimes does take a long time to order, or get a refill. We have learned over the years that you need to ask for what you want right away and you may need to repeat yourself. But they are always nice and try their best, it isn't as though they don't care, they're just soooo busy because they're sooooo good! You need to anticipate what you'll need in the next ten minutes and ask for it, so by the time you need it, they'll have brought it. It's sort of like mellow mushroom...they've got THE BEST Food in town, so customers are willing to deal with the slow service because you know your meal is gonna ROCK!

Seriously, la botana is the best in Winston (and the best Mexican I have ever had in North America) I'm not a big fan of chains and I'm not fond of Americanized Mexican food, so if that's what you're in the market for, this may not be your favorite Mexican spot. If you love the real deal though, try it out and go in with the understanding that your are there for the food and friendliness, not to get in and out very quickly with 5 star service.
It's the best!!

• Visited August 2013

High Point, North Carolina
“AWFUL FOOD AND SERVICE!!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I do not get the good reviews since EVERYTHING about this restaurant was pretty bad. 1) It took over 40 minutes to get my order and it was WRONG and we were one of the only 2 occupied tables. 2) Even after wrong order was pointed out they didn't bring the proper order until I loudly complained after waiting another 15 or so minutes- and it STILL wasn't right. 3) Food was bland, extremely small portions and very over priced especially since the portions WERE SO SMALL. I ordered soup and a salad. How can a restaurant mess up soup and a salad? 4) I ordered a CUP of soup. They brought a bowl. I pointed it out and was CHARGED for a bowl. Really? When it states right on the check I ordered a cup? 5) Never ONCE did the server refresh or offer to refresh our drinks. (6 And Mexican? Did someone say this was a Mexican restaurant? Where? Because you get a bowl of chips and salsa? No one in my group tasted anything Mexican. My daughter's supposed Fajitas were grilled vegetables dotted with over cooked seafood, no seasoning and NO tortillas. Zippo! Nada! None!!! And she asked for them!!! And I could go on. Everyone in my party was unhappy.

I have never in my life openly complained in a restaurant, or not left a tip, but then again I'm also NOT THAT HARD TO PLEASE- UNTIL going to La Botana. We should have left and not paid.

1 Thank Blam123
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Seriously?”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After being told what an amazing place this is, my husband and I gave it a shot this past weekend. We went in hoping for, and expecting great Mexican cuisine, but were sorely disappointed. There's nothing authentic about this place. At all. Our server started out super sweet, but she quickly became overwhelmed with other patrons and she essentially forgot about us and parts of our order.
First, we were very surprised at the nachos and salsa. Homemade? Really? And the portion was tiny! We asked for more and she brought another bowl of chips, but forgot the salsa. We ordered cheese dip and it was okay, but again, it was a tiny, tiny dish.
Second, our entrees were good, but nothing great. I had enchiladas verdes, which were decent, but nothing to write home about. And the rice was bland. No flavor at all. My husband ordered steak fajitas, which came with fresh grilled (or microwaved?) onions, peppers, and meat. There was no seasoning or flavor whatsoever. Our server also never brought the tortillas for his fajitas until about 10 minutes after the rest was served. We had to ask twice for them. (?!) That's like going into a sandwich place and having them forget the bread.
Our experience was less than positive, the food was blah, and the prices were way too high for such mediocrity.

Overall, we were very disappointed and will definitely not be returning.

1 Thank sardawg
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Best Mexican in Winston Salem.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

First of all, this is not your typical Americanized Mexican restaurant. There is no cheese dip and no combo #4 with 2 enchiladas and a taco on this menu. If that is what you are looking for, go elsewhere. La Botana has a very authentic Mexican menu. The tacos al pastor are amazing. Very simple double wrapped corn tortillas with marinated pork and pineapple, served with diced onions, cilantro and salsa verde. I haven't been able to get anything else, but my wife has loved everything she has gotten also. They have several craft beers from Foothills brewery on tap, as well as your standard Mexican brews. There are drink specials every day of the week. If you love authentic Mexican food, this is definitely the place in Winston Salem to go.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Poor service, bland food,”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I am SO confused by the good reviews of this restaurant.
This is one of the worst Mexican joints I have ever been to.
I have frequented mexico and my uncle engaged to a women from mexico. We are well versed in AUTHENTIC Mexican food. This food was far from it. You cannot just throw some avocados, cilantro and tomatoes in ANY dish and call it Mexican.

Everything we had ordered was very bland, no spices nothing. Just cooked... and served.
The only decent thing served to us was chicken soup, which was homemade chicken broth and maybe the chips and salsa.
The fajita had no seasoning and the vegetables under cooked. The proteins forget it, shoe leather.

Minus the food the service was poor. The server was having issues from the beginning with understand our order. One salad ordered was asked to be made with NO spinach, regular lettuce only, this persons order was not filled, just ignored due to its complexity.
My order was half filled, only the fajitas, when I also ordered the black bean soup which when I finally received it it just tasted like bacon.
When the person whose salad NOR soup came she sat back for about 5 minuets until calling over a server voicing her discontent. The served blamed the waiter whom took our order due to him being new. No where should send trainees alone to mess up transactions. Finally the women whose order was ignored was served, she had ordered a CUP of soup, they brought her a bowl, they said they'll charge for the small, and that due to the inconvenience of not getting her dishes it was on the house, when the bill came around they wouldn't.

We were also 1 of ONLY 2 groups in the restaurant at the time, and it took over 40 minuets to even be served any of our orders.

So in short, service is poor, no available management, high prices, very small portions, hardly even Mexican food.

Total for 4 people, came out to over $60, with no explanation for items charges and refused to honor the on the house items etc.

This was an extremely unpleasant experience.

I would rather have gone to Taco Bell.

2 Thank Rena L