“Too Hard to Choose Just one Thing!”

Midtown Cafe & Dessertery
Ranked #6 of 28 Dessert in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Fun Food Made From Scratch! Breakfast All Day. 28 Desserts. Lunch. Comfort Food Dinners. Craft Beer & Wine List.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed lunch at Midtown after a long morning after just happening upon the place and were quite pleasantly surprised. The menu is extraordinary. It was hard to pick just one thing - but I went with French toast and it was incredible. My wife had a salmon wrap that was quite large and she really liked it. Outside seating was nice on a perfect spring afternoon. We hope to be back soon.

1  Thank David G

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Is it bad no, but was it good "oh yes".
It is unfortunate that Midtown is no longer the shining example of breakfast eateries that it once was. It looks feels and is dated, and not in a good way like some institutions. It is tired. I remember coming here over 20 years age with friends, when the place was alive and bustling. I am not a young man by any means, and normally I am sentimental and nostalgic for established well run institutions, but despite it being acceptable, something about the place was making me sad. Like a seniors rest home, or the waiting room at the hospital. I suppose at my age still being the youngest in the place, including all the visible staff, may have had something to do with this.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Been here twice - both times for lunch. Good.....not great.....and a bit pricey for what you get. Excellent "Stratford" sandwich..."ok" omelet (minimal and plain). Supposedly known for their desserts.....but nothing special (Village Tavern is best!)

All in all....a bit overhyped.....but you could do much worse!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have never had anything here except breakfast and it is always excellent. They have perfect pancakes, scrambled eggs, and coffee. It is close to so many business places downtown so it's easy to get to and from-- say yes to breakfast--

Reviewed December 2, 2013

First, let me say that the lunch (hot roast beef sandwich au jus) is always good. The french fries are always fresh and hot. BUT, having just thrown out my piece of 5 flavor poundcake, I can tell you that this is the second time I have ordered a piece of their "famous" and "homemade" and "fresh" desserts only to have to throw it out. It was very stale and tasted like it was made at least 3 days ago...come on, the desserts should be much better because that is what they are known for. don't let all the pretty cakes in the glass case deceive you...they are almost always stale.