“So Glad We Found It!”
Review of Milners

Milners
Reserve with OpenTable
Milners is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 669 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2014

A fellow foodie-friend had heard about this restaurant and we put it on our long list of "places-to-try".....finally we found time to make the trip.

We were very pleased with our choices.

Several of us started with She Crab Soup. Great choice. (It was delicious and was not at all "flour pasty" like some restaurants serve). The bowl is a very large portion and can be shared by two. Another of our party chose the Calamari with sweet chili sauce and it was perfectly crisped and glazed.

I chose the "Charleston inspired" Shrimp and Grits and really enjoyed it. It featured the red eye gravy broth and spicy sausage slices. This entree is very generous in size. My spouse chose the Crusted Trout with tomato gravy and Pimento Cheese Grits Cakes. It was delicious as well.

Their presentation of small plates, soups, entrees, etc was "spot on" and very appealing. The servers were very attentive and not at all obtrusive. (Ask to be seated at Pamela or Tracy's tables)

We plan to return soon to try other entrees and small plate choices.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

The macaroni and cheese was fantastic ! It was one of the best I have had at any restaurant. The chicken was cooked perfect so juicy, but quite under seasoned. The greens outstanding. Despite the under seasoning I have been craving the macaroni and cheese since i ate there a month ago. However the customer service was so poor especially by the manager who seem to not be concerned about our unsatisfactory service I have a hard time returning. This is not the first time i have experienced poor customer service there, but sadly to say i may not return there and neither will the other 11 people that we recommend dine there also. Their experience was the same.

2  Thank ladysusie
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Front and back of house do justice to the restaurant. It advertises southern style and it delivers very well. From meatloaf to crab cakes, the flavors are handled well. Service is good - not oppressive. Menu selections seem a bit old, but people come for their favorites. Portions are a bit large, but this is also attractive to many. I have taken family and friends and they love it.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

When this restaurant first opened we probably went a half dozen times and were never wowed by the food - I think our issue was the 'southern-oriented' recipes just were not to our taste, so we stopped going. Last night, we tried Milner's again after probably several years.

My wife had a delicious mojito and I a glass of Pinot Noir - good wine list. We started w/ salads which were fine although my Caesar choice had too much dressing (which was good) despite me asking the server to have them put on just half; thus the start of the meal was good (4*).

I ordered the veal scallopine which came w/ brussels sprouts (not a favorite and rather bitter - probably should have asked for a substitute); starch was flavored grits which lumped in a large pile and had little 'corn' taste; finally, the veal was tough as 'shoe leather' (should have been pounded and cooked less) and hard to chew; also a large piece of very salty bacon was placed on top (I need to watch my sodium and took it off) - each piece of meat was placed on top of a mushy green tomato - I would rate the dish 2* (thus, my overall average rating).

My wife had the duck which also came w/ brussels sprouts (probably her least favorite veggie - again a replacement would have been nice); her starch side was a black rice w/ beans, the latter was skimpy and the rice too much, plus a lack of flavor - she was happy w/ the duck (my guess is that she would have given her main course a 3* rating).

Bottom line - we left disappointed (meal cost us nearly $90 w/ a good tip & two drinks; no dessert) and do not plan to return.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Friends gave us a gift certificate to Milners. We will be back on our own. My wife is still talking about the pork/mac& cheese/collard dish. I had the mountain trout. both were very good. The place was full and people all around us seemed to be enjoying their food.