“I did something I've never done before..”

Athena Greek Taverna
Ranked #24 of 673 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Greek, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Offering age-old tradition and timeless recipes that have been passed down through generations, the restaurant successfully combines cuisine and atmosphere to create a dining experience that won't soon be forgotten.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I wrote them a thank you note. Yes I actually did. I've never written to a restaurant before but I just felt compelled to this time. I had my birthday dinner there last Saturday and there were eight of us. We were seated at a table in the back and we had one of those long, leisurely meals full of good food, good wine, and good friends. We stayed for three hours! Not due to slow service but because we just didn't want to leave! The service was fantastic! Humberto was friendly, helpful, professional, and gave us just the right amount of service. We were never felt rushed or in anyway bothersome. He offered to let us sample a couple of wines to help us pick which was lovely of him. The food was divine. We all ordered something different and there was a LOT of sharing. Everything was wonderful. Even the basic green beans which came as a side vegetable were full of amazing spices and flavors. I love the lemon potatoes, the tsatsiki, hummus, oh just everything! The Greek coffee was thick and warming! I just wish we'd had room for desert. I will be back and I recommend Athena's to everyone!

2  Thank LadyZady

Reviewed August 4, 2013

First I have to say how much I appreciated the service. Our waiter was charmingly Greek. We had a great conversation about Greece and the best places to travel. The food was good. The portions were huge. I could have made my meal out of the spanakopita -- it was huge and had a lovely flavor, something more than spinach and cheese, great flaky filo, too. The vegetarian moussaka was also tasty. I might have made the tomato sauce a bit lighter, but it had a thick bechmel sauce and lots of vegetables. It came with a salad with an excellent dressing and rice that was yummy. My partner had hummus that was full of garlic and lemon and pita bread that was fresh from the oven. We took a great deal home with us. And I don't know why anyone would object to the atmosphere. It has lovely photos of Greece on the walls and the bathroom was immaculate. The location is not lovely, but you don't need to look out the windows.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I very rarely hand out five stars but this restaurant is WORTH IT the food was perfect! For an appetizer i got a saganaki and they set it on FIRE right in front of us which was super cool and delicious. Then I tried this thing called a gyro and it was the bomb especially with tsatsiki. And after dinner I had a crepe and it was like eating heaven. Also the wait staff was so friendly the hostess was super nice she even went around the restaurant to make sure everything was fine. And our waiter was super attentive which is always a big plus. I will totally be going back for more.

1  Thank T M
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My first impression from the outside was "not impressed." But this place was incredible. Our waiter, Stavros, was very friendly and knowledgeable. Along with our main entrée, we received salad, bread, pita with eggplant spread, and spinach pie. It was an outstanding experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

What I promise you is that I won't rant about average food. I am Greek so naturally, I love Athena Taverna over most "Greek"-inspired establishments in the area. No offence my Greek peeps. :) I'm most pleased and happy to mention that Athena Taverna now has a mini version, "Athena Greek Pita Express" closer to my house in Clemmons (off of Lewisville Clemmons Road) and is just as delicious!

The taverna is the same distance from work but this drive-through option is so quick and easy for me. I get the usual gyro pita or gyro meat on a salad (a must try!), Greek Frappes, and on occasion, when I have a stomach ache, I've been known to grab a pasta dish. Yea, it sounds weird getting pasta through a drive through but this is no fast food and I don't leave leftovers!

The only negative is smelling it on my drive home...
Also, you get a real bang for your buck seeing as you can taste that it's not pre-cooked, pre-ordered "Greek" food and it fills you up!

Try the Gyro Pitas or Chicken Pitas. My next venture will be trying the Loukaniko "Greek Sausage" Pita. YUMM!

Tzatziki is traditional. Fat fries. Sweet family. I want them to stay in Clemmons so keep driving through. :)