“Good; just didn't match "best anywhere" expectations.”

J S Pulliam Barbeque Incorporated
Ranked #110 of 691 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Every review and reviewer from Rachael Ray's "Best in the South" to beachman2014's most recent one here say: it's the best! Now don't get me wrong, their dogs are good; I just wouldn't drive 30 miles again to get one. But if you're hungry and driving by, stop and order a dog or two. It's a back in time place. They serve a quality dog with chilli onions and slaw. The grilled bun is nice too; add a fried pie and a Cheerwine and you've got the quintessential Southern meal. The price is right too!
I guess I had my hopes up way to much because of the rave reviews. I've had similar quality in Kernersville and Greensboro.
Their BBQ is minced, not chopped, which I've had before, it's just not my preference.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've been eating here since I was a kid, and try as I might to find a better hotdog it just isn't going to happen. PB's also has an excellent dog but it doesn't win the head to head contest. For whatever reason, be it the perfectly grilled bun or the chili or the packed slaw and fresh cut onions , Pulliam's hotdogs are the ones by which the rest are measured.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

If you wont the best here it is the best BBQ And HOTDOGS in North Carolina you must go here The people here are nice and price are good you will love this place. Tell your everyone you know about this place.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I worked nearby in the 80's and 90's and ate there often. My job moved about 14 years ago, but I thought about Pulliams often. Last weekend I was passing through Winston Salem and on a whim, took a side trip to see if they were still open. They were! Same building, same faded "Drink Cheerwine" sign out front. Biggest surprise was when I opened the door and walked in. There were the same people working there that were there the last time I ate there, 14 YEARS AGO! Same old fashioned drink box, same counter with a rack of potato chips and B&G fried pies. It was like being frozen in time. I quickly opened the drink box, grabbed an ice cold Cheerwine and ordered two dogs with mustard, chilli and slaw( that's how you eat them in the South, sometimes onions too). My first bite of that chrispy, buttery toasted bun was pure heaven. They tasted EXACTLY like I remembered them. In a constantly changing world, it's comforting to know that something as good as a Pulliams hot dog hasn't changed. The menu is simple: Barbeque(pass on the b-b-q), hot dogs, B&G pies and chips. Well worth a side trip if you're in the Winston Salem area. I only hope it's not another 14 years before I get back up there.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hands down the best southern Hot Dog I have found! I like their chilli, coleslaw, the dog and the bun and when it is assembled it works! Will return soon!