“"Always and great meal and friendly atmosphere!"”

Carriage House Restaurant
Ranked #95 of 669 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Description: We are a family owned and operated restaurant. We have served Friends and Families since 1969. We are located near the Hanes Mall on Stratford Rd. Next to Jackson's Music and across the street from Flow Motors.
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have worked in the Winston-Salem area for a long time and this is probably one of my favorite places to eat lunch either by myself or with co-workers. I like the chicken-salad cold plate dish, or the marinated chicken-salad, or the chicken and rice soup with grilled cheese on a cold day. It is such a warm and friendly place to eat and and you can always count on the co-owner, George, to come by your table and shake your hand and ask how are things going each and every visit. The restaurant is always clean and checking in or out is always efficient and easy!

gstabo, Owner at Carriage House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you so much for your review!! We continually try to meet or exceed the expectations of our customers. Hope to see you again soon!

George Stabolitis

Reviewed April 25, 2012

The vegetables are really good here as are the salads; homemade dressing. The only problem, which is why I rated it a 4 instead of a 5, is their "sweet tea." The tea is NOT sweet enough. With the charge for beverages nowdays if they correct that they will get a 5!!! I like eating there at lunch because of the veggie choices (which change daily). The people are also friendly. However, I haven't eaten there at night.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We have taken steps to improve our tea. Thanks for your feedback!! We want to constantly make sure our customers enjoy each part of their dining experience. Thanks for your help in helping us improve! We would love for you to try our tea again.

George Stabolitis
Carriage House
Owner

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Years have gone by and a standard of excellence has long been established. Younger and foward looking management has things under complete control with out any loss of service, selection or quality. The wine/beef tips continue to be my choice as the favorite on the menu. The shreaded salads are always the welcome start of my meal. Vegetables fresh and cooked properly for best taste and enjoyment. Flounder and other seafood choices are cooked to perfection any way you chose. Time goes by but some resturantes remain a welcome place for fine food, smiles and a heart felt hello that thanks you for your patronage......Five stars is deserved and is always strived for and without fail is accomplished......The best.

2  Thank atpatic1
Reviewed October 25, 2011

went there for lunch today and it was a nice meal. This is an older restaurant but very clean and a really nice wait staff. I had a side salad very basic but good and the 1,000 island dressing tasted homemade. I had the special of the day chicken and dumplings and I have to say I was impressed. Having a grandmother from the south I have a very high standard and these were not bad at all. The chicken was very moist even without the gravy and the dumplings were how I liked them flat. The gravy could have used some more seasoning but all and all I was happy. My mom had the chopped steak and a side of baked squash. She said both were very tasty. The corn muffins were very good!

This is a family type restaurant that has been in business for a very long time. The food was good but nothing to write home about. If you are looking for some good home cooked food in a nice relaxed atmosphere give it a try. Oh! And ladies try the sea salt scrub for your hands in the bathroom. WOW!!!

Reviewed July 15, 2010

There was a time when the Carriage House was fine dining. We ate there last night. It was the third disappointing visit, and it will be last time we will eat there.

The "Louisana" Shrimp were undercooked, and fairly disgusting.
The Tilapia was burnt and crispy with just a hint of the taste of a dumpster door.
The salads were shredded lettuce, with shades of brown and grey.
The ketchup bottle was crusty.
The waitress was extremely perky, but thoroughly condescending and irritating.

This was our third consecutive disappointing visit. It will be our last. This used to be a wonderful place to eat. Its time has passed.

It would be a huge improvement to flatten the building and put up an Applebees or Ihop. It would be an improvement to put up a Waffle House.

1  Thank jakerson9