“Lovely historic place”

Augustus T. Zevely Inn
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We were very happy with our room on the second floor and we enjoyed our quick one-night stay in the main section of the inn. Love the flexibility of the complimentary breakfast, which doesn't require you to be there at a specific time for a group meal, as at many B&Bs. The seating was restaurant-style and the service was quick and friendly. After we left I realized I left behind an item of clothing; I called the inn and they promptly mailed the item to my home.The setting is really lovely, and if we'd had more time we would have enjoyed sitting on the back porch and spending more time in the charming historic neighborhood. For elderly travelers I'd suggest not staying on the third floor, as the stairs to that level were very steep. For those who want to sleep late, I'd suggest trying a room that doesn't open on to the main staircase; early risers woke us up as they left their rooms and trooped down to breakfast. The rooms off the back porch probably would have been perfect for us. We would recommend this inn and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed May 7, 2008

Just stayed at the Zevely Inn with several classmates for a reunion at Salem College and had a great time. Very comfortable room and a fine breakfast. Innkeeper Ashley was attentive to our needs and provided a lot of extra service and attention to our group. Location was perfect for our purpose and we couldn't have been more pleased.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 14, 2008

My husband and I needed to get away, and drove down to Winston-Salem. We found ourselves in Old Salem, which is nestled right in the middle of town. Driving through the gates was certainly like taking steps back in time. We were enchanted by the peacefulness and almot otherworldliness of the community. We discovered that there was an inn we could stay at and spontaneously decided to spend a couple of nights. We walked right up to the door and booked a room on the spot - the Summer Kitchen Room. We were able to look at all of the rooms (each is different) before we decided. There was a lovely continental breakfast each morning, wine in the evening and a tasty and quaint restaurant across the street where we ate one afternoon in the back patio under a magnolia tree! Our room was spacious and period decorated. There was a fabulous large fireplace that we couldn't help firing up, even though it was June. It was quiet, there was parking available and though we were in one big house, didn't hear the other guests at all.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2007

I stayed at the Zevely Inn this past weekend and was impressed by the quaint atmosphere and the services provided. The new innkeeper, Ashley, is truly wonderful and guided us to the best sights of Old Salem and some great places downtown. The location is great and our room on the third floor was quite pretty. We saw several of the rooms and they all appeared comfortable and very cheerfully decorated.

Mary and Komar in housekeeping are great! Mary even brought me up some orange juice one morning when I was off to a slow start.

Try Ashley's famous hot chocolate! There is a secret ingredient that I couldn't quite figure out but it was delicious!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2007

I stayed with the folks at the Zevely Inn last week and had a wonderful time! Yes, the house is old, so it creaks and makes noise but that's all part of the charm of staying in Old Salem. It was so great to be so near to everything and the staff was amazing. Ashley, the new innkeeper, did everything she could for us, even going out of her way. We really appreciated her help. We only met one of the housekeepers, Mary, but she was just a treat and added so much flavor to our stay. We wore ourselves out while there, slept like rocks and just loved the food! We recommend this place to anyone thinking of a vacation in Old Salem!! If your stay is anything like ours, you will NOT be dissapointed!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank southern_gurl07
Reviewed November 6, 2007

One of the highlights for me of visiting Winston-Salem over the past three years as a Wake Forest parent has been staying at the Augustus T. Zevely Inn, and I plan to continue visits to the inn after my son graduates. I have always found the inn to be extremely inviting, welcoming, and charming. It has been tastefully decorated, authentically restored, well maintained, and exudes the ambiance of Southern charm and hospitality. The warm and caring staff has their guests' comfort in mind, and shows strong attention to detail. The food, served from a glistening kitchen on an enormous sideboard, has always been excellent in my opinion, from hot breakfasts in the mornings to home-baked cookies in the evenings. The inn offers wine and cheese every night before dinner. I had a working fireplace in my room the last time I stayed there which was wonderful on a crisp autumn night. I think the price is reasonable, and I highly recommend the Augustus T. Zevely Inn for a comfortable, relaxing visit.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband and I totally enjoyed our visit to Old Salem in Winston-Salem, NC, and the stay at the Zeverly B&B was the best part of the whole 2 days. This is the only place to stay right in the Old Salem village. The inn is so authentic, comfortable, and peaceful. Their gracious hospitality was outstanding. The bedding and décor of the rooms were wonderful. Our bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious.

Stayed: July 2007