“Not a good experience.”
Review of Graylyn Estate

Graylyn Estate
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Graylyn is a beautiful estate in a great location across from Reynolda village and very close to Wake Forest. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast was nice. However, the room was not even average. We were in the Mews building and the room was musty and very humid. Our carpet was wet and our bedding was damp. The shower squeaked the entire time and there were hairs on the counter in the bathroom. There were also mosquitos in our room which was probably from someone leaving the door open. Our room opened directly to the outside. We were far enough away from the Manor House that we had to drive to breakfast. The Mews has a hospitality room with coffee, tea, and ice cream bars. The room was full of dirty dishes left there by other guests when I went to get tea. I really wanted to like Graylyn, but our room was terrible. I may try again if I got a room in the main house. The staff was friendly, but never offered to change our room or make ammends.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank TaylorwestGeorgia
There are newer reviews for Graylyn Estate

Reviewed February 14, 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at Graylyn while in town for a Wake Forest basketball game. They were offering a Valentine's rate of $139 which included a wonderful breakfast. We couldn't resist the offer and have always admired this gorgeous facility that is very close to the Wake Forest campus. Our room was in the Mews building, which is a short distance from the main house. The room was very comfortable and extremely quiet. In the morning we went for an hour walk over the grounds. The staff were lovely, breakfast wonderful and the facility very charming and quaint. If you are looking for a very quiet, beautiful setting away from the congestion of downtown, then you should definitely give Graylyn a try!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Spent 2 nights here for a work retreat.

General
Graylyn is a historic residence converted to a hotel. So all the rooms are unique. Because it was on old mansion, some of the modern comforts were retrofitted. So the bathrooms seem a bit out of place. The rooms are old (some people call it charming) but well maintained. Common areas (inside and out) are well kept.

You really need a vehicle if you plan to leave the property. They do provide a shuttle to nearby restaurants.

Staff is very friendly. When I drove up, the valet took me to the front desk, helped me check in, then took my bag and walked me to my room.

Stayed in the main building. Neat stone stairway. Bed was slightly lumpy but comfortable enough. Floors squeaked but I guess that is part of the charm. Wired Internet access was free. Water flow was sub-par. Just down the hall was the "ice cream" room where you can get coffee and eat all the ice cream you want (which I did not do).

Meals were all delicious and well prepared. Not sure how much it cost because things were covered by work.

Summary
Nice place for a meeting. Not really a place to take kids.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Convenient place to stay for a visit to Wake Forest University. We were appointed a room (602) in the Gardener's Cottage and it was a spacious room with 2 king beds. The cottage is set up with 3 or 4 guest rooms that open to a common living area but there were no other guests there at the time so we had the living area to ourselves. We needed it because the air conditioning in our room was malfunctioning and the room was like a swamp. The carpeting was damp, the sheets were damp, the chair fabrics were damp and unfortunately we didn't realize that until late evening.....not much sleep that night and some of us ended up on the sofa in the liv room. Not much sympathy from the management at check out. The breakfast at the main lodge the next morning was terrific and of course the historic lodge itself was an architectural beauty. Rcommended with reservations.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2008

As a prospective student, Wake Forest suggested I stay at Graylyn while I was taking a look at the school. I'm glad I did! When I called for directions to their facility, I was more than pleased to find myself talking to a VERY helpful gentleman at their guest services department. When I arrived, they knew my name and treated me warmly, the way an old acquaintance does. The lady at front desk was always available to answer even the most ridiculous questions I had (and believe me, being from out of town, I had a lot of those). I especially appreciated the fact that Graylyn was across the street from Reynolda house and down the street from SECCA and Wake Forest.
As far as the food is concerned, everything is AMAZING! I happen to be very fond of cheese grits, but their cheese grits were better than I had expected. They also had a wonderful selection of fresh fruit and herbal tea.
To be completely honest, I have read the reviews posted before mine, and I have to say, I didn't experience any of their problems. To all the reviewers who thought that housekeeping was making too much noise: They're just trying to do their job! Stop being such a baby. It's a historic site, people. The pipes are going to clank, and the furniture is not outdated, it's true to its period.
So to the chronic complainers, get a grip. This hotel is superb, and you know it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Graylyn when he was interviewing for a job at Wake Forest. When we arrived we were treated extremely well. They knew our name and valet parked our car. The grounds are spectacular. I sat out for a good portion of the day while my husband was interviewing. It is in a great neighborhood with easy access to everything.
The less than perfect aspects were:
- The room was on the top floor of the main house and it was disapointingly appointed after being wowed by the estate. It looked as though it was designed in the 80's, i.e. dated but not charming
- The next morning we were awakened by doors of neighboring rooms slamming shut
- I asked the front desk for advice on what to do/see while my husband was interviewing. The woman was very polite, but not friendly and quite unhelpful.
We didn't pay for our stay and it was overall pleasant, but I don't think I would pay the going rate for these accomodations in the future.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed May 29, 2008

Lovely state located a few minutes outside Salem and with great access to Wake Forest Universtity. Beautiful grounds and buildings that seem to be taken from a time far away.
The rooms in the first floor are luxurious and old fashioned, you can have a good drink at the library or go downstairs to enjoy a cigar while playing billards. There are inside (closed) and outside pool, one tennis court.
The rooms are fairly big with great bathrooms, the bed is very confortable, but the carpet and chair have stains (it is kind of disgusting actually).
Free internet conection in every room and you can indulge yourself with free ice cream (ice cream room!).
The staff is very helpful (great southern manners) and provided us with a map with jogging trails. On the next day lent us bikes.
Breakfasts were great, but the other meals were only above average.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)