“Take a Look at The Big Picture”
Review of Graylyn Estate

Graylyn Estate
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Virginia
“Take a Look at The Big Picture”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I finally secured a room at Graylyn. Our son is a sophomore at Wake, and I have been dying to stay at Graylyn. I was not disappointed. After many other Winston-Salem reservations at the local hotels, which cost less but have no personality, I felt like a special guest at Graylyn. I was in a corner room in the Mews, and it was lovely. The grounds are peaceful, staff was helpful, and the morning complimentary breakfast was superb. Very quiet sleeping with no boisterous neighbors. I will stay here again if I am lucky enough to get reservations. Well worth the wait. Congrats to Graylyn, and to the gentleman who made my omelet (which was perfect).

Room Tip: The Mews was a wonderful area to stay.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Twinsburg, Ohio
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Staying at The Graylyn is like being thrown back in time. I had only one evening at the hotel, for a meeting at Wake Forest University. I would recommend looking at their web site before you come. I was greeted in the driveway by a bellman that must have been working there for 40 years, and my reservation was handled quickly. The Bellman then got into his car and I followed him to my building. He escorted me up the stairs and to my room --- no plastic magnetic keys at The Graylyn -- a real key. He showed me the coffee and Ice Cream room ( fridge loaded with dozens of ice cream bars). The room was "old fashioned" with a high 4 poster bed. The bed was comfortable and my only complaint was the shower water pressure. The breakfast was first rate ---- and complementary. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I just spent one night at this hotel while taking my daughter to visit Wake Forest University. We were really looking forward to our stay at Graylyn and I wanted to love this hotel, but it really fell short. First of all, I thought that I had reserved one of the antique rooms in the Manor House as I wanted the full historic experience. As it turns out, we were booked into one of the regular Manor House rooms on the third floor. This may have been my error so I can't fault the hotel for this. Unfortunately, our room appeared not to have been redecorated since 1980. The furniture was worn and shabby, the walls were marked up and scuffed and there were cheap bi-fold mini-shutter type doors on the closet. The bathroom was small, with a cheap shower over tub that was reminiscent of a Holiday Inn. The only way I would stay here again is if I were guaranteed one of the antique rooms on the second floor or perhaps one of the rooms in the mews. Under no circumstances would I accept a room on the third floor of the manor house!

On the plus side, the staff were gracious and attentive and the full breakfast is very nice.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank CaliforniaLori
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed here last year with my family. We stayed in the mews. The mews are impressive from the outside. We had a room with two beds that was nothing special. I killed at least 5 spiders on the ceiling that had made webs in the corners of the room. No effort was made by any of the housekeeping staff to get rid of the cobwebs and spiders so I did my best. Empty glasses were also left in my room, as well as trash. I've seen enough Hotel Impossible to know you don't leave dirty glasses in a room.

The gentlemen butlers were all great and friendly. Now here is my biggest complaint. They have an employee that works in the mews who is a major problem. She was rude, annoying and over-stepped her boundaries that should be observed with guests. She made it known that she had a problem with my profession (which i will keep to myself on here) She also expressed her problem with my political views (I am a Republican) She also let us know that her boyfriend was in jail. This employee was the reason I probably won't go back to the Graylyn. (unless I find out that they canned her) I made a complaint to the manager and they moved her so we didn't have to see her again. I could go into greater detail about her inappropriate behavior but I think you get the picture. If they are smart they will move her permanently because her behavior casts a shadow on an otherwise nice staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank classicredstate
London
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

My wife took me to Graylyn a couple weeks ago as a surprise and it was our first time there. Upon check-in the porters at the door were very welcoming, took our coats and showed us where to register. The woman working at the reception desk however, couldn't have been less interested. She asked if it was our 1st time at the hotel and then when we replied yes, she just handed us a map of the property and then our keys. We asked if we could book dinner in the hotel and after some fuss, she told us there was a private party in the main restaurant, and the grill room was closed. So she handed us a photocopied menu of the Village Tavern up the road. We then needed to ask whether there was room service or breakfast being served in the morning... Terrible, I'm not sure if we caught her on a bad day or her first day, but either way she should not be working there. The porters overheard some of our conversation and as we were walking out, they gave us a few more ideas for dinner and gave us a little more information about the hotel.

The main house is beautiful and so were the mews ( that's where we stayed). The grounds were also exquisite, and it really did feel like we were miles away from everything, not just around the corner from downtown Winston-Salem.

Our room in the mews was great, and we did find a fantastic little restaurant about 5 minutes up the road (Pane e Vino). We ate breakfast in the main house in the morning which was a fully stocked buffet.

I guess, overall we had a lovely time, but for the money I expected more.

Good choice for the area, but I don't know if I would go back.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Preston75
Hoschton, Georgia
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have to third the previous reviews of Graylyn. We had such a great weekend! Everything was great and if I had to complain about something it would be that we requested a king size bed but was put in a room with a queen size. Staff told us they could switch rooms but it would have been in the cottage which is not attached to the main house. We decided to stay in our room because the activities were in the main house and it was very cold outside and would need to be picked up/dropped off by the Butlers. Graylyn went above and beyond with the food and every meal was five stars. The murder mystery was an added bonus. I got the booby prize for being all wrong. People sitting at our table were some of the actors. Never saw that one coming. Fun, Fun, Fun! Definitely will do this again. Trust no one…..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda M
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have to second the previous review of Graylyn. I was just there for the second time for murder mystery weekend. This place is amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. We stayed in the main building and our room was huge, great bathroom. Loved all the sitting areas, lounging rooms, little bar with fireplace. All of it is has so much uniqueness and charm. Loved the hospitality room. A small room to get coffee, tea, hot chocolate and ice cream bars. We had 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners and lunch. Every meal was 5 star. The men at the door were great. Above and beyond friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple