“Very interesting!”

Reynolda House Museum of American Art
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Reynolda House, the centerpiece of the Reynolda Historic District in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Explore the restored 1917 mansion of Katharine and R.J. Reynolds. An orientation video, oral history kiosk and audio tours, included in your admission fee, provide a unique window into the family and the life they lived. Enjoy masterpieces of American art and special exhibitions in both the historic house and the museum's new exhibition wing. Shop and dine in Historic Reynolda Village. Then, stroll the formal gardens, greenhouses and woodland walking trails of Reynolda Gardens. The Wake Forest University campus, adjacent to Reynolda, is accessible by walking trail or by car.
Piedmont, South Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very interesting!”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Very interesting to see how these people lived with all the luxuries and the old toys and dresses were especially fun to see.

Visited November 2011

Winston-Salem, NC
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Reynolda House is beautiful and educational with fantastic staff.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Tours available even for small groups. Staff wants you to enjoy this beautiful house, the _masterpieces_ hung throughout the house, the resources for studying, and the gardens, greenhouse and trails. I live about 30 minutes from Reynolda House and love going several times a year. I have no formal education in art, but these people want you to have experiences and learn what you want about the artists, the paintings and/or the house. Very accessible (website has details). Museum store has unique things - it's hard not to purchase things I don't need. Typical museum shop prices - not INexpensive. But, if you need a gift for the person who has everything, I bet you will find something here.

Visited April 2011
Charlottesville, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ARCHITECT OF INTEREST”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I learned much about RJ Reynolds and his wife Catherine re construction of house and Reynolda Gardens. Architect Keen also did the highschool in Winston-Salem. Sears did the gardens.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank VATRAVELER57592
New Bern, North Carolina
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Marvelous Museum and Home”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was confused by the new name of this property. I had wanted to visit for many years and considered it the home of RJ Reynolds. The new name includes "Museum of American Art". The only difference is that there are now many different types of art medium scattered throughout the house.
I enjoyed this visit tremendously and recommend it hightly.
The staff were extremely accomodating, explaining what the house had to offer and setting us up with an audio guide.
The house is beautiful. The organ is not to be missed. There is staff scattered throughout the house to help answer questions.
My only recommendation would be to provide a better guide within the house pointing which way to go so as not to miss anything.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank GmaSandra
Timbuktu, Mali
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Interesting Place of History”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Four of us, two adult couples, went to the Reynolda House on a weekday. The gift shop that you see behind the front desk is full of interesting items, so make sure you stop at that on the way out.

For the tour, I believe it is $10 per adult, which includes the audio device that you carry around which gives you tidbits of info on each room that you're standing in. The audio device system was very easy to operate alongside the corresponding paper map that they give to you.

If you have a large purse (like I do), they will ask you to lock it up in their locker room (free, clean, etc). No big whoop because I really didn't want to have to carry that thing around all day.

There is a short movie that they will ask you to watch before beginning the tour, which was very helpful in explaining the history of the Reynolds and the house.

In all honesty, I enjoyed the home and the artifacts more than I enjoyed the art. But I am a history buff so seeing the personal side of the Reynolds' was very interesting for me. I would say my favorite rooms were the kitchen, attic and the basement. The attic contains the clothing and personal items of the Reynolds, while the basement was more of their entertainment area.

I cracked up a little every time I saw a "No Smoking" sign....

Another reviewer commented on the feeling of being "watched" while inside of the house. I did notice some tight security and there was one woman who was just a flurry of activity, and it wasn't so much that she was watching us, but that she kept rushing around to do things and it kind of impeded on the experience a bit. When I go to a place like this, I like to stand silently in the room for a bit and imagine what their daily life was like, and with her buzzing around it....I guess it just annoyed me. But it wasn't enough for me to discourage you from going, however. Just be aware that they are very bent on protecting the aesthetic qualities of the place.

The whole house took us about 1.5 hours to go through. Then we headed to the gardens, which were beautiful. Plenty of roses in bloom to sniff and the greenhouse full of succulents was also a no-miss.

I would recommend this tour to anyone who is visiting the area.

Visited September 2011