“If you enjoy BBQ with a St. Louis - Memphis style sauce it is great!”
Review of Pig Pickin's of America - CLOSED

Pig Pickin's of America
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is NOT a 5 star, linen table cloth restaurant - it is the appropriate atmosphere for a bbq place. I read mixed reviews and decided to try it anyway, and am very glad I did. The people that don't like it must only like the vinegar based NC BBQ... as the Racks of ribs we had were as good as I have ever had anywhere in Memphis, St. Louis, KC or Texas. We had ribs (huge meaty full rack which is easily a meal for two- that were cooked to perfection, very high quality lean meat), pulled pork sandwich, onion rings which were nice and hot and excellent, I usually dislike hush puppies... always thought they were nasty little fried dough balls - theirs were very tasty. The waitress was a cute late 20's gal that was extremely friendly and nice. Several times she came by to see if we needed drink refills or anythign else. Don't know what the other reviewers on here are smoking, or maybe they don't like Tomato - Molasses style BBQ sauce... personally I don't care for the vinegar based Lexington style bbq anywhere near as much as St. Louis / Memphis / KC style.... and I loved the place...
Give it a try with an open mind and if you like Midwest style bbq you will have the best ribs I have had since moving to NC.

1  Thank bevhlsguy

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I was a big fan of Pig Pickens when we first moved to the area. So when we saw this Pig Pickens - I thought it would be great, as well. NO! We never smelt the food ....like you do at most restaurants....I kind of thought that was weird when we walked in, but then the hush puppies came and they were great. I was holding on to hope. Then the food came...the BBQ tasted old....the fries were very old and tasted like they had been microwaved to heat them up. Two of our 4 orders were wrong and the waitress was down right rude. As we were leaving we saw food carts outside where what looked like they had cooked the food somewhere else and brought the food in. (thus - why it was cold) I will never go there again.

3  Thank arenka
Reviewed October 22, 2009

This place doesn't serve BBQ, it serves a criminal travesty of BBQ.

It's certainly not Lexington or eastern-style NC BBQ, regardless of what they claim. Of course I don't know what they claim it is, I just know it's not either, having been born in bred around Lexington and having lived down east for 3 years.

I'd call it garbage BBQ, is what I'd call it. If you're looking for the best genuine Lexington-style BBQ in town, go to Little Richard's. Don't insult your BBQ palate by eating at this place.

1  Thank EPICurean98
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My family stopped in Winston-Salem on the way to Myrtle Beach and I was hungry for BBQ. We had already checked out another bbq joint and it looked awful so we drove to Pig Pickins. As we pulled in, there were three cars in the lot and that is not a good sign. I walked with my brother up to the restaurant and there was a group of people standing outside. I asked a man how the food was and he said the ribs were great. Then he proceeded to tell me he was the owner of the joint. My brother and I walked in and nobody was in the restaurant other than the two workers behind the counter. We instantly thought negative thoughts but we were starving and there was not a whole lot else to choose from. The neighborhood around the place sucks. We decided to suck it up and hoped we had found a diamond in the rough. As I went to get the rest of our families, my brother heard one worker say there was only one rack of ribs left. We all sat down and the server came over. He was a nice guy, but I think he was high. If not, he is burnt out from past usage. We had a very bad feeling at this point. My brother asked the guy what is best at the restaurant and the server responded "The hot dogs". Our bad feeling did not go away. We ordered the only rack of ribs, a couple bbq sandwiches, wings, onion rings, french fries, hush puppies and hot dogs. The first food didn't come out for 20 minutes. Everything came out in shifts. I was completely done eating my ribs before my son got his hot dog. How long does it take to cook a hot dog? The server admitted confusion with basic tasks and struggled through our dining experience. I would never go there again, but in case you are curious, I'll rate the food.
Ribs - Not tender enough and not the best quality ribs. I have had worse.
Fries - Ore Ida Krinkle Cut? Enough said.
Hush puppies - Not round. A first for me. I enjoyed them.
Pork sandwiches - Okay. Sauce was too watery as mentioned before.
Onion Rings - Could be awesome. The flavor and structure of the rings were very good, but the two different orders were both cold.
Hot dogs - Good. I guess the pot head was right.

2  Thank 221wmsmvo
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Went to Pig Pickin's in 1990 and thought it was great. Went tonight (2008) and it was terrible. 1. "Please wait to be seated." but no one there. 2. Bartender came out. I notice that there are ashtrays on the bar. "Is there a non-smoking section?" "oh, the whole place is non-smoking, we just let the bar...." No one was at the bar and I was alone so I sat there. 3. Then noticed that a little 5 year old girl was at the end of the bar with the remote and Nick at Night blaring from the TV. No one supervising her. Guessed she was bartender's (who had disappeared) daughter. When bartender returned I asked, nicely, "do you think we could turn that down a bit?" She shrugged, "what can I do?" 4. Place was empty. I moved as far away as possible. Still annoying. Bartender said she'd come wait on me. 5. Time passed. 6. She waited on me. My beer emptied. 6. Time passed. 7. My food arrived. No silverware. I asked a waitress - "Your server will be right over." 8. Time passed. food getting cold. 9. I ate- food was fine. 10. There were more waitstaff than patrons, but the service still stunk- go figure. I understand from the earlier reviews that there are new owners. Hope they get on the ball. It used to be good.

2  Thank caperMA