“Great meal in a wonderful, historic setting!”

The Tavern in Old Salem
Ranked #2 of 689 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Built in 1816, the tavern has 5 intimate dining rooms and a small full service bar. Waitstaff dresses in historic costume during the day.Dine by candlelight in the evening.
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner with 5 friends and thoroughly enjoyed it! Small room with just a few tables which kept the noise level down, a problem I find in many large restaurants. Nice menu; not too large but certainly varied. Fresh ingredients with good sized portions. Our server was great! A nice balance of friendliness and professionalism who was very knowledgable and attentive. I will definitely be returning!

2  Thank Deeof3kgk

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Tavern is under new ownership, and I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our latest meal there. I had the crawfish with grits and was just delighted by the presentation and the taste. It was top-notch!

The next day we dropped by to have a seasonal beer in their bar. What a treat!

If the weather is warn, ask to be seated outside.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

first trip to old salem, loved exploring the area and eating at the tavern. I had the reuben and the german potato salad. both were out of this world. the ginger bread with lemon ice cream was just wonderful!! I did stop by later in the afternoon and did not have to wait as I understand it can be crowded during lunch. service was exceptional! do give it a try when in Winston.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I ate here right after the new owners took over and had a nightmare service experience. On my most recent trip, I had better service but was just disappointed overall. The menu is uninspired and you can get much better for the money at a number of places in Winston-Salem. The place has become a tourist trap. You can check my many other reviews and see that I rarely rate a restaurant this low, but this one deserves it. I will not be back and they are probably glad.

2  Thank moondogg57
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch outside on a beautiful Saturday. Unfortunately, the lunch wasn't so lovely. Let me start by saying the service was fine, the food was not. I ordered the smoked gouda pimento cheese sandwich on ciabatta with a side of german potato salad. After waiting for about 20 minutes for lunch to arrive, the waiter brought me a reuben with potato salad. I informed him the order was wrong and sent it back. Another 25 minutes and my food finally arrived. The ciabatta was burnt black on the inside, the smoked gouda "pimento"cheese was nothing but a thin layer of gouda with no sign of a pimento in sight, spread over the burnt ciabatta. What was most prominent on the sandwich was a huge pile of iceberg lettuce. Seriously, the sandwich was 80 percent iceberg. The german potato salad was equally terrible. I know german potato salad has vinegar in it, but this had so much it made you pucker. I had to spit it out. Needless to say, this crap on a plate was sent back as well. I spent over an hour at this place and had only a liquid lunch as I was certainly not prepared to wait another 30 minutes for something terrible. The menu is uninspired, and this is definitely a tourist trap. The servers even wear these "period" aunt jemima like costumes which look ridiculous. I will not go back and would not recommend it to anyone else either.

3  Thank jpbryant