“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #2 of 661 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Built in 1816, the tavern has 5 intimate dining rooms and a small full service bar. Waitstaff dresses in historic costume during the day.Dine by candlelight in the evening.
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

As part of the Old Salem experience, I recommend dining at The Tavern. You won't be sorry. Great atmosphere in 1700's decor with excellent food. (Love their bread). We were with a large group, but they accommodated us perfectly in a separate room. Service was reasonably fast and courteous. Recommend their pot pie -- outstanding!

• Visited May 2013

• Arabic first
“New mamagement and menu...”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Outstanding all around. 4 people had 7 dishes....everyone was very happy! A wonder candle-light dinner.

• Visited April 2013
Jordan K, Owner at The Tavern in Old Salem, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hello I am one of the owners of the Tavern In Old Salem and would like to thank you for such a nice review of our restaurant. We hope to see you soon
Etowah, North Carolina
“Great food in a historic atmosphere”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Tavern in Old Salem is in the middle of historic Old Salem and right across the street from the August Zevely House B&B where we stayed. The food was excellent and the service efficient and friendly. The menu includes a selection of well-prepared meats, poultry, and fish dishes. The wine and beer list is extensive and includes many reasonably priced beverages. Take the time to stroll the quiet streets of Old Salem after eating.

Visited April 2013
Chicago
“Above and Beyond”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

THIS PLACE IS A MUST! I was traveling for business and my Sister in Law ( SIL) recommended this place since she went to school there at Wake Forest. I was blown away not only by the staff and food but the serene view. The backyard wasn't open yet but the back porch and front porch were. I sat on the back porch by myself and felt like I was in another world which is nice after a crazy day spent at a busy hospital. It was a work night about 7pm and not too cool/warm. It did not feel like you were minutes from downtown. The food was light, flavorful, and delish. I got a glass of their house pinot grigio, an arugula salad, and the bleu cheese and grilled mushroom. Every bite was better and better. It wasn't too much food so I ended up splurging for dessert. Out of this world was the lemon ice cream with sugar coated pecans served with the maruvian spice caked. The cake was moist but not gooey and packed with flavor but not overpowering. I dined by myself but wish I could of shared it with my friends and family, This place is an absolute Gem. The staff was friendly courteous and knowledgeable. I am already planning on trying something else on the menu since my first meal was awesome.

• Visited April 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It's convenient to have a restaurant at the museum so that you don't have to leave. It's even better when the food is amazing!! We were so glad that we waited! Definitely put your name in early enough!

Visited March 2013