“Save your money”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Asheville, North Carolina
“Save your money”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Arigato is very disappointing. We were visiting friends in town and they highly recommended this restaurant. We made a reservation on a Saturday night for 4 at 8 PM (we wanted earlier but nothing was available). We arrived on time, the place was completely packed, we waited until after 8:45 and were finally seated. I do not believe the management understand the concept of a RESERVATION. When we questioned our wait time initally the hostess couldn't give us a time. When we questioned the wait time again at 8:30 she had nothing to say to us. No apology, nothing. I ordered a drink from the bar for my husband who was starving by this point (all of us were really). Suggestion: free apps or small bites, or at least management should come around and offer water to people waiting. When we finally sat down our waitress Joanna was a mess. She had a hard time understanding my husband's need for gluten free. There were no gluten free dressings my husband could eat with his salad and she refused to bring him oil and vinegar saying if she brought him some oil her manager would get mad at her. Really? Then she didn't get my dinner order correct, AND we ordered a hot tea and she never brought it. Wow, pretty bad service for a not-so-cheap restaurant. As far as the food goes mostly of it wasn't that good. Our friends said it had tasted better than this in the past (they have gone several times) so perhaps it was the chef that we got? The chef overcooked most things, especially the shrimp and chicken, and undercooked the rice and veggies. My husband's food wasn't cooked with soy sauce as it has wheat in it, so the waitress brought him a bottle of Tamari. I don't know why it couldn't have been cooked in Tamari, rather than putting it on after the food is cooked, doesn't have the same flavor. The chef had a pretty good personality and was able to get everyone's order correct, but the quality level was poor. My steak was good, needed more flavor, and the shrimp sauce, or white sauce tasted thin and cheap. I've had much much much better food at both Yoshida and Ichiban in Asheville. This place pales in comparison. We didn't get out until after 10 PM, way too late. A very disappointing experience on all fronts, will not return.

• Visited August 2014

“Bland”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Waitress wasn't trained. She got tied up with bar drinks while the rest of us waited on water. She completely messed up the orders of the other 4 people with us. Soup needs flavor. The Chef left the shrimp to cook to rubber while he tried to get the orders right. He had a salt shaker but there couldn't have been salt in it. All the food was way under seasoned. Filet had no sear. I've never had to add that much salt to hibachi food. The chicken was completely inedible. The sauce for the chicken was some nasty looking gloopy mess. Supposed to have been teriyaki. It was nasty and bland. I asked him to bbq the chicken with hot sauce like most Japanese places will. He said I could only have 1 sauce on it. Really? They also charged extra for more than 1 dipping sauce. Mayo sauce needs help and flavor. I mixed mine with the hot sauce I wasn't allowed to have cooked with the chicken. Are there any good hibachi places in this town???

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Wanda1808
“Lack luster”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The bar tender was rude and challenged me because I came from the dining room and looked at the bar drink menu. She was obnoxious.
The food was just okay and the interaction between the chef and us was almost nonexistent.
I would not return to this place. Money best spent elsewhere.
Our server apologized for the rude bar tender and did her best to make it up to us. Her name is Leanna.

• Visited January 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Worst experience - bad service, food made us sick”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Made a reservation -- they said come right over -- then arrived and it was a 30 minute wait. Sat down then waited another 10 minutes before anyone greeted us. Ordered water -- had not been delivered by the end of the first course (very salty soup) -- had to go to bartender to get water -- then when water had to be refilled, waitress filled glasses with Sprite -- had to get new hours -- loudest restaurant I have ever been in -- they bang a drum loudly for birthdays -- then the food arrived and both me and my wife got sick that not -- we are not going back and we suggest you stay away -- other choices much better in W-S

• Visited December 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great food”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I love this place it is always wonderful! And you always have lots to take home! I love the steak I think it is the best in town!

• Visited October 2013