“Nice place- meh pizza”

Burke Street Pizza
Ranked #158 of 673 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Description: At Burke Street we have always focused on being a neighborhood pizzeria. To us this means consistently delivering superior quality and service to our customers. Our long-term staff works as a team to achieve these goals and exceed your expectations. Burke Street Pizza has been a part of the fabric of Downtown Winston-Salem since early 2003. Started by a native New Yorker, this neighborhood pizzeria has won numerous awards, including Best Pizzeria (10 Years Straight!) and Best Late Night Food. Due to great demand, we’ve added two other stores, one here in Winston-Salem and the other in Greensboro. And we’ve maintained our close-knit team atmosphere which will make you feel welcome every time you stop in for your slice of New York-style pizza!
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The customer service here is always excellent- unfortunately the pizza isn't...
I believe they are going for that 'authentic' big city taste and perhaps my taste buds just don't understand the experience but in relation to other nearby pizza places such as Mellow Mushroom and The Loop this pizza is just tasteless.
I tried to like it really I did, like I said plenty of folks enjoy it and the service is always friendly and first rate but I jut don't like the pizza.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This place is super small and we had a big party so we sat outside. They were busy (like they usually are) but that's because they sell some of the best pizza in town. I don't go downtown often, but when I do Burke Street Pizza is a must for a laidback dinner with friends.
PS...The Garlic Knots are TO DIE FOR!!!!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Besides tasty, their slices overflow your plate! Casual and comfortable although the process and service can test your good nature sometimes.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Take a cracker...add 1 drop of ketchup and 1 shred of cheese....bake at 400 until everything is burned beyond belief. I have tried and tried to get a decent pizza here....impossible! From a customer service aspect I understand why they always ask you to leave a tip for the delivery driver when you place your order....because they are ashamed of the crap they are dropping off!....never again...Mario's please deliver!....Burke Street is complete SLOP!!!!!!!

7  Thank ALLVOLNC
DaveH-NC, Owner at Burke Street Pizza, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

I'm sorry you had a problem with your pizza. If you had called the store and complained about a burnt pizza we would have been happy to exchange it out for a new one. Looking at the picture you posted, I am somewhat perplexed. I've never have seen a pizza burn on the top without the bottom being black. This is because NY Style Pizzas are cooked sitting on a stone with the heating element cooking from below. There is heat circulating above, but the bottom would definitely burn before the top. The opposite would be true if you tried reheating it under a broiler, say in a home oven, where the heating element is on top.

With regards to driver tips, we only ask customers who use their credit cards on delivery orders if they would like to add a tip for their driver on their card. We do this because it's customary to tip a delivery driver and we're simply offering them a choice.

Again, we're sorry that you have had trouble with us in the past. With the volume of business we do, we know we're not going to be perfect. We just wish that you would have come to us with your problem so we could try to correct it, rather then slamming us online.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Their pizza is great (Lasagna and Italiano pizzas are the BEST), their wings are 2nd only to Wingstop (closest one is Raleigh area) and they are always very helpful, accurate and attentive.