“Dissatisfied Diner”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Cities opened in Winston Salem the year we moved here, 2001. At the time it was “the” place to go with lines snaking out the door and very long waits for a table. Let’s just say those glory days are over. As a matter of fact when I pulled into the parking lot on a recent visit I was the only car there. I seriously thought the restaurant was closed and in retrospect I wish it had been.

Since it was a Monday evening (I am sure a slow night in most restaurants) they offered a three course dinner special for $9.95. Choice of soup or salad (caesar or house), choice of entrée (options were sauteed chicken tips with rice, grilled pork tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes, fish and chips, chicken fettuccine or lasagna) and dessert (strawberry shortcake or tuxedo cake). I selected the caesar salad and, for my entrée, fish and chips. I picked strawberry shortcake for my dessert, which really was strawberry cake, not what I consider shortcake. It was, however, the best part of my meal. The caesar salad was mushy and the fish and chips had great chips and onion straws but the fish (I was told it was Tilapia) had a strange metallic/mercury flavor that I sometimes detect in seafood, particularly shrimp. I really couldn’t eat it.

Drink specials on Monday included $4.00 Bloody Mary’s and Mimosas. I had a Mimosa but if it contained champagne the “fizz” had gone out of it as it was quite flat.

Overall this was not a wonderful dining experience. Later in the evening when I was describing my dinner to a friend, he shared that the last couple of times they went to Cities they were not very excited about their food either.

I must say, however, that service was excellent. We had a party of five and our waitress gave us first-rate attention.

There are newer reviews for Cities Grill & Bar

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Interesting concept. In the main dining area they have a large projector which shows still pix of cities fr around the world. Not a complaint, but they could use a bit of an upgrade in the quality of the pix/projector Lots of American style food choices from grilled chicken salads to salmon fillets. Have been here a nber of times and have always enjoyed the food quality. In general I would say it is a bit pricey for the end quality but nonetheless still quite good. Enjoy!

1  Thank Craig R
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went to Cities on a Sunday afternoon arriving about 1:40 pm with some friends. Service was slow and the resturant was understaffed. We waited 45 minutes after our table was cleared to get the bill. The food was marginable at best considering the wait. Will never visit again.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had never eaten there before,so we thought we would give it a try. Cites is an up-scale restaurant, with reasonable prices. Variety of foods included pastas, steaks, chicken, burgers, and wraps. There were 3 in our group and we all thought the food was excellent. Waitresses were dressed very professional and were very attentive. Everything was very clean, even the bathroom was spotless. I went with my family for lunch, but think this would also be a great spot for a dinner date.

2  Thank cluvsbeach
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Twin City Diner is an up-scale restaurant, with reasonable prices. Variety of foods included pastas, steaks, chicken, burgers, and wraps. There were 3 in our group and we all thought the food was excellent. Waitresses were dressed very professional and were very attentive. Everything was very clean, even the bathroom was spotless. I went with my family for lunch, but think this would also be a great spot for a dinner date.

1  Thank cluvsbeach