“Totally different in a Good way”
Review of Fabian's - CLOSED

Fabian's
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Totally different in a Good way”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Fabian's is #1on tripadvisor for a reason . Dining here is an experience that should not be missed . If you are strictly a steak and potato type go to Ryan's, if you want a true culinary experience go to Fabian's . Yes , some of the courses will be different from any other place in Winston so go with an open mind . A perfect place for a romantic dinner but you better book Valentines Day six months in advance .

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Wes C

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Such a treat!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Dined at Fabian's for the first time for my birthday with my husband. Small, cozy atmosphere (very romantic, dark decorations, candles, chandelier) with only about 10 tables total. Staff was ultra friendly (although I can see how others have commented where they may have gotten stuck chatting for too long with the staff - this didn't happen to us). Chef Bill came out and described the menu and recognized those of us celebrating special occasions.

The whole experience wasn't rushed at all, such a nice change of pace from most restaurants. We were there over three hours. Food is simple and straightforward, traditionally prepared (don't expect any modern twists or trendy touches) but absolutely done right. The crispy duck was divine and all the small bites of different sides with our entrees were delicious. Dessert was a little lackluster (plain white chocolate creme brulee and praline lava cake) but I'm not a big dessert fan anyway. My husband was worried he would leave hungry as he is somewhat a picky eater - this did not happen! Bill did a nice job of preparing items that were tasty and flavorful but accessible to most palates.

If I had to point out any improvement opportunity, I would suggest to the staff is to start cleaning up breadcrumbs from the white tablecloths. The homemade crusty bread was served warm and tasted great, but I was a little annoyed to have to stare at the crumbs on our table the whole night. This is the only "fine dining" touch that I missed. Otherwise, an excellent restaurant experience that we will definitely do again!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RoseHPU
Winston Salem, NC
“Best total dining experience in Winston Salem”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary here. We were impressed from the time of making reservations, when the chef asked about any special dietary restrictions, etc. Planning ahead is essential, since there is only one seating nightly. When we arrived, the wait staff greeted us and were already aware we were celebrating a special occasion. This is truly a "dining experience." I don't know what the previous reviewer was thinking--it is not a "tasting" menu--it is a complete 5-course meal! Come hungry. The portions are very adequate, but not over the top! I ordered the leg of lamb. It was amazing, tender and presented with vegetables of the day. (I am not a huge red-meat fan, so this is saying a lot!) My wife had one of the fish entrees which was prepared exquisitely. The chef uses locally-sourced food as much as possible, and the menu changes according to the season. We had creme brûlée and the chocolate pate with a salted caramel sauce for dessert. The wine selections were surprisingly adequate for a small restaurant, and the wait staff was very knowledgable about appropriate pairings.

To recap, this is a special dining experience. We rarely do 5-course meals. However, for an occasion when you want to leisurely enjoy the company of those who are with you, what better way to spend 2.5 hrs!

We will definitely be back!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Docinnc
HIlton Head Island
“Disappointed at the No. 1 rated restaurant”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We went with high expectations. Loved the ambiance and the wait staff. But we were disappointed with the food. First the portions were much too large for a five course tasting dinner. Secondly, both of us were disappointed with our main course. Leg of lamb for me, crispy duck for my husband. The appetizer was really only thing that we enjoyed and even that was huge since four more courses were coming. We enjoyed meeting the chef, but would not return.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MaryAnnHHI
Jupiter, Florida
“Nice Surprise”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Service and food were excellent. One seating each night. Chef comes out and personally explains the "set" menu for each night. Very inexpensive wine prices!