“Wonderful Surprise”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Wonderful Surprise”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I took advantage of a sunny post July 4th weekend. We had seen a documentary on a house that was restored in Historic Bethania, NC. We had wanted to visit the town for about a year, but never got around to visiting it.

Bethania is about ten or fifteen miles outside of Winston Salem. It is an old Moravian farming community that dates back to 1759. The town was actually planned out and is relatively still remains much the same as I would imagine it looked many years ago.

We had an easy ride up from Charlotte and found Bethania without much difficulty. As we entered the town, we came upon the "Historic Bethania" Visitors Center. The visitors center is part of a restored house (Wolff-Moser) which was a farmhouse and dates back to 1799.

We were very fortunate to meet Mark the curator of the house and visitors center. Mark is an absolute pleasure to talk to and has a deep wealth of knowledge regarding both Bethania and Moravian History. Mark gave us a brief history and then took us over to the farmhouse.

The house has been restored and is in good shape. It was quite interesting and I am sure Mark
would have been able to continue giving us many more facts about the house and the town.

He pointed out points of interest in the town and we headed off for a walk and ended up at "God's Little Acre" on a hilltop behind a Moravian Church. The cemetery is very well kept and dates back to 1760. We were actually able to find the grave site of the infant who was first buried there.

We also had lunch at a delightful restaurant called the Muddy Creek Cafe. The restaurant is part of an old mill complex diagonal to the Visitor's Center. They have a variety of sandwiches on the menu and the food was quite good.

I highly recommend a visit to Historic Bethania. It would be especially enjoyable if you combined a visit to Old Salem. I am not sure if Old Salem promotes Historic Bethania, but it would certainly be a great day trip to combine both locations for a day trip.

The Visitor's Center in Bethania is open between Tuesday and Saturday. It might also help if you would call Mark ahead and let him know you were coming.

I forgot to mention that the tour was "Free." You can't beat that.

Visited July 2013