“Hill's Lexington BBQ in Winston-Salem (NC) invented Lexington style.”

Hill's Lexington Barbecue
Ranked #426 of 669 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/hills_large.html
Description: http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/hills_large.html
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When folks think of eating in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, Lexington-style barbecue is likely to be first to come to mind. Yes, there is a town about 15 miles south of Winston-Salem named Lexington. And, there are barbecue restaurants on each corner and between corners in Lexington. Historically speaking, however, Lexington-style barbecue originated on the north side of Winston-Salem at Hill's Lexington Barbecue Restaurant. Joe Allen Hill (originally from Lexington) and wife Edna opened Hill's in 1951. I am assuming that everyone agrees that Lexington-style barbecue is the best. (If one lives in western North Carolina, it's a no-brain er.) Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. When you reach 4005 North Patterson Avenue at Motor Road, you have found the address of THE best barbecue in the world. Hill's has done it longest. And, Hill's does it best. This review is not based on one mere visit. I have eaten at Hill's semi-regularly all my life. If I currently lived nearer, I'd dine there more regularly. My particular favorite is the chopped variety. Blocked and sliced are likewise available. There is an all-you-can-eat option, which permits one to try all three varieties. (I've dared to attempt this only once!) There is a plate, which includes baked beans, a choice of slaw, and a choice of fries or another side. And, there are small and large trays, which include the barbecue, slaw, and hush puppies. Of course, there are barbecue sandwiches. Hands down, my favorite is the large chopped tray with barbecue (red) slaw. Many barbecue restaurants put too much vinegar in their slaw. (I often have to add artificial sweetener to cut the powerfully sour bite.) Not so, with the Hill's slaw! Wonderful! And, the hush puppies! There simply are none better. No matter what plate or tray one orders, the hush puppies are all-you-can-eat. Other Hill's specialties are their macaroni and cheese and their famous banana pudding. As with most other things, prices have gone up in recent years. It's still the best barbecue, worth the price and worth the trip! Other producers of barbecue learned from Hill's. One needn't argue with history. Why not go to the original source? But, remember! Hill's is always closed on Mondays!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The BBQ is not the worst Lexington style I have had, but it is real close. 2 of us ordered the sliced plate and 1 ordered the chopped plate. The portions were very small. A $10.00 lunch plate should at least be on a full size plate. The sliced pork was cold, not just room temp, but cold. I am sure it was in the refrigerator and they microwaved it for a minute before it was served. The should have left it in the microwave a little longer. The chopped plate was at least warm. There was no smoked (BBQ) flavor to the pork at all. It tasted like a normal pork roast out of your oven. The sauce (dip) was very bland, like watered down vinegar with some red pepper flakes. The french fries were also cold and tasteless. The hushpuppies were quite dry and hard to eat, but they were at least hot. On the plus side, the red slaw was very good and the banana pudding was some of the best I have ever had. The service was just ok. No drink refills were offered and I had to get my own sauce from another table. Overall, not a great experience and I probably won't go back.

3  Thank G8RRPh
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Had a great lunch here recently with my family. The barbecue flavor is excellent. Friendly and fast service. Clean dining room and reasonable prices. I think the barbecue here is better than other places in town. I will return, that's for sure.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The BBQ here is not the absolute best Lexington style chopped pork, not even in Winston, but it is solid, and they do a number of other things very well, and have for years, and the service is always good, even when it is crowded, as it was today at lunch.

The pork comes out of the kitchen in a medium chop, and sauced too much for my taste - so I always ask them not to sauce my order. The result is a much drier product that I can sauce to my taste. I have found this to be true much more often with Lexington and Western style sauces than with Eastern because of the inherent sweetness in those sauces which will mask the pork taste.

Now the pork here lacks smokiness, and this is becoming more and more commonplace as cooking over wood coals is increasingly abandoned for electric or gas cookers. But properly sauced, this is not a bad version, and makes a more than decent sandwich.

The hush puppies are good, they offer both versions of slaw here, and I find both nice. The fries are the crinkled kind, but here they get them crisp, and salt them properly right out of the oil.

They make an excellent Southern style chili dog, loaded with a meaty, tasty chili on a nice quality wiener. I would come here strictly for the hot dog. Their fried chicken is also outstanding - lightly coated, fried crisp, and perfectly seasoned with a nice amount of salt and pepper

They offer some good sides as well. The Fried Squash is always fixed fresh, and fried perfectly. The Fried Okra is from frozen, but is a nice item, fried well, and both of these are properly seasoned. And their home made cobblers are worth the calories

Now this is not the cheapest place in town, but you get good value, excellent food, and nice, friendly service. It is a family place, so there will be some noise from the young crowd, especially on the weekends.