“Best view in Winston Salem”
Review of District Roof Top Bar - CLOSED

District Roof Top Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th & Trade
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Beautiful facility and enjoyable dining experience. Service is a little slow but the atmosphere and roof top bar make it a place we come back to often.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have eaten at The District on several occasions. Most of the time it has been an acceptable experience, but the last time I went was such an epic fail that it motivated me to write a review. I was there with a large group, so I did weigh that into my assessment as I know this can be challenging, but we were a group of 15 for lunch on a day when they were not busy. We were seated promptly and ordered our meals within 10-15 minutes. 45 minutes later - still no food. The waiter, while pleasant, definitely had the "it's not my job" attitude as did another member of the wait staff. The waiter actually said, "sorry, that's not my fault, you would need to complain to someone wearing a blue shirt". This attitude was in front of the manager - which really surprised me. The manager spent lots of time with us chatting, bragging about how ESPN staff ate there over a year ago. All the while we were mumbling and whining about being hungry and it didn't seem to faze him. When the food did come, in waves (which was fine), it was cold. Again, the manager didn't care. When we got our bills, the 20% gratuity was automatically included - a little insult to injury. I kept thinking, if the manager would just make some gesture of compensation - a free appetizer, or 10% discount, or a free dessert, or anything! So, long story short: yes, they have rooftop seating with a spectacular view of the bad side of downtown Winston-Salem. Yes, they have some interesting choices on the menu (did I mention that they were out of 4 things out of a total of maybe 35-40?) but it was served cold after we waited nearly an hour. The best thing about this place is that it is downtown but actually has its own parking lot. Otherwise, there are much better choices in Winston-Salem.

2  Thank heels94GreensboroNC
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My son and I ate here last Thursday about 8:00. The place was packed and there was a wait of an hour. Fortunately, my son got there earlier and found a small table on the mid level deck.

Service started out slow. We had to go find our server. But after that, things picked up and the service improved somewhat.

My son had a burger and raved about it. It came on a fresh pretzel bun and was huge with a generous portion of fries.

I had a filet mignon that is one of the best I've had in a while. It was cooked perfectly and was so tender I could have cut it with my fork.

The sunset over Winston-Salem is not to be missed from here. Next time I hope to get a table on the upper deck.

All in all, this is a nice restaurant that will hopefully get better with some training for the staff.

1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The food is OK, not anything to write home about. The Nacho Fries are greasy and not even attractive to look at. The food is average. The best bet is to go to the rooftop at dusk and have a few beer, there is a good selection.

1  Thank 2much2c_10
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had only recently heard of The District and it was favorable. Hence my surprise at the mixed reviews on this website. My daughter and I went for lunch and had a very positive experience. It was a lovely day so we opted to eat outside as did most of the diners there. My daughter had the chicken finger BLT which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the turkey, bacon and green apple salad which was also delicious. At $7 each I think they are very reasonably priced. The service was also good. I look forward to going back for dinner. Hopefully the problems from earlier this year have been straightened out.
We enjoyed our lunch!