“Good for one-night stay”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Winston Salem
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Pros: Out of the way, quiet hotel that is near the highway. Clean, internet worked, no complaints about the room. Even when crowded, the rooms are quiet and you can't hear noise in the hall or adjacent bedrooms.

Cons: The bedcover is more like a bedsheet. If you need a more substantial bedcover to sleep like I do, you might want to pack a comforter for the night. Good for one night, but I wouldn't stay more than an overnight stay.

Complaint: I must've caught the hotel on a bad night, I arrived around 10 pm and waited almost a half hour for reception to show up. After 15 minutes I called Microtel's 800 line and their computer system had no easy way to get to an operator. Their system is lengthy and awful, continually refers to their website, and there's no easy way to get to an operator until you're about 3 menus in. After 10 minutes I got to an operator and she couldn't hear me, then hang up. I was frustrated, about to leave to find another hotel when two people from the front desk finally showed up in a harried manner.

Room Tip: I like more the weight of heavier bed covers to get to sleep. You never know what hotel covers will...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Winston Salem

Reviewed June 2, 2012

The motel was clean and economical, the only problem - my reservation was not honored. My non-smoking room was rented to another person even though I had a confirmation number. The reason was because I arrived late. Well, that's what a confirmation is for. I had to take a smoking room for one night - not pleased at all. The desk clerk explained that if one does not arrive by 6 PM, the rooms are up for "grabs." The issue was not resolved - I initiated all of the contact even though I was to be contacted via e-mail or phone from the motel.I don't think that's a Wyndham policy. Also, the breakfast did not have sugar free items for all foods, only sweetner for drinks. I'm diabetic, so that was a problem.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anita K
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We have made this our home base when we go to Winston-Salem because of the outstanding value. Though I see a few reviews by disappointed travelers, I have to say that our room was perfectly clean and good-smelling. Everything was in fine condition. Hair dryers are available upon request, as are irons and other amenities. A new amenity: I found coffee down in the breakfast area that was hot and reasonably fresh, with liquid creamer available, all evening. A big, clean swimming pool is placed between the Microtel and another hotel. It's open until 10 pm and I found it clean and in excellent condition, along with the surrounding seating area. The front desk provides towels. I went for a relaxing swim, liked the fact that it was not secluded so I felt safe at night. Several trees are planted around it, encouraging some fiesty mockingbirds to provide lots of entertainment for the swimmers with their songs and swoops! Breakfast was just the basic cereal fare plus a waffle maker, wish there had been fruit, yogurt, etc. Overall, terrific value again.

Room Tip: The only time I was disappointed in this hotel, I had stayed in an "accessible" room. So i...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Nice place for the money - good location with multiple restaurant choices. Microtel is my first choice when traveling down the road- clean,nice beds, great value

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2012

for the price of this motel you would at least expect a coffee pot & hair dryer in room. Have stayed at less the price and at least at those amenities. Room is ok and fairly clean but is not as nice as other microtels we have stayed in before. Stay next door for a few more dollars and have a better stay

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was tricked by all the other great reviews but do NOT stay here. The room was dirty, the sheets had cigarette burns, the shower facet hardly worked, the interstate and the parking lot lights will keep you up at night. I didn't even feel safe enough to leave my belongings (just clothes) in the room when I left for the day. Pay the extra $20 bucks and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
em27893, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Winston Salem, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

I am very sorry for whatever happened during your stay. As the General Manager, we pride ourself in our customer service and our property. I would love to get in touch with you so you can tell me what happened and it can be immediately corrected. Feel free to call me at the property anytime. The telephone number is 336-659-1994 and my name is Emily Myers, GM. Thank you so much and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, lots of hot water , forceful showers,great breakfast, friendly efficient staff - what more could you want? We've stayed at many hotels at all price levels in the area, and this one is absolutely the top value. Plus it's in a great location right off I-40, close to a large mall and tons of restaurant choices.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vicki N
em27893, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Winston Salem, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with our Microtel Inn, Winston-Salem, NC. Next time you are in Winston-Salem, NC stop by the hotel and have breakfast with us! With love taking excellent care of our guests and make sure we meet all of your needs while you are here. Thank you again! Emily Myers, GM