“Nice, clean, but noisy”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Standish, Maine
“Nice, clean, but noisy”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This property is nice, clean and well run, but suffers from "location issues". Nestled close to Peters Creek & the interstate, the noise and light come from everywhere. If like me you like to get out and walk to dinner, the location lacks there as well. The room I had was huge by HIE standards, but the bed was right under the stairwell and I heard every footstep on the stairs all night long. The neighboring room switched on the bathroom fan at 5am, and it sounded like the fan motor was in my room.

• Stayed March 2013
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments about how pleased you were with the size and space of our rooms as well as the 5 out of 5 with room cleanliness. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team and they are grateful for your kind words. With regards to the bathroom fan I have addressed it with maintenance for them to lubricate the spindle on it to reduce any noise it will make for future guests. And with any of our guests I would welcome you back to try another of our rooms since my team and I have demonstrated that we provide a clean and well kept up property.

General Manager, MBA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Say here every year. Great location, friendly and accommodating staff, everything you need in rooms, got a great night's sleep. Will stay here again and again.
Would recommend this hotel to any traveler. Lobby is neat with it's high ceilings. From 3rd floor hall you can look down into lobby.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed here once a month for the last five years but may have to rethink my lodging choice as they have become non smoking. I can understand some people needing non smoking rooms, but as a road warrior that spends over 100 nights a year in hotels I appreciate having a choice.

Since Marriott went 100% smoke free, I have not stayed in one since. There are other Holiday Inn Express locations in town that are smoke free.

This is Winston Salem home of RJ Reynolds TOBACCO Company.

• Stayed February 2013
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Making the decision to go 100% nonsmoking was a strategic decision that was necessary for the size of our building. I want to thank you for the 4 of 5 score and inform you that if you are a priority club member the Full Service Holiday Inn on University Parkway does still offer a smoking floor. The comfort Inn that is next to it also has smoking rooms available.

Thank you again for your most recent visit with us and I trust that the Holiday Inn will meet your expectations for a smoking preference.
UK
Reviewed December 8, 2012

travelling for 3 weeks with my parents across US…So a lot of hotels!

Bed was a bit worn out, i had to change rooms as the AC was screeching so loud you could hear it as you walked up to the room! Breakfast was a bit below par, no teabags ( and i asked!) no apple juice, no bacon. clean and acceptable, but the junction in and out was a bit hairy, and as a stopover it was fine, nothing more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear brammo,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the noisy air conditioning and the poor breakfast selection. We will address this and will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Alliance
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Nice clean room, good breakfast, staff very friendly, hotel location was made getting to training we were in Winston Salem to attend very easy, good resturants nearby, easy on and off I 40 rooms were large, showers had excellent pressure, we stayed at another Hotel in Winston Salem this past weekend and regretted not being at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Curtis O
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. As always we strive for our guests to leave happy and satisfied with their stay with us.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Me and a few friends stayed at the Holiday Inn express last weekend (Aug 10th) I was very satisfied with my room however my friend in 204 was very disappointed because it didn't have a refrigerator. We had food we had to keep cold because we had a picnic on Saturday. We went downstairs and talked to front desk (Billy). He understood and accommodated my friends. I'm writing because I have been a priority member for a long time. My friends had chosen another hotel down the street and I convinced them to come with us to HDI express. Thank you Billy for the great customer service and because of you my friends are now Priority members.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We thank you for your kinds words. I have spoken with Billy and thanked him for his positive contribution to our business.

Encinitas, California
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We booked a nonsmoking king size room. When we checked in, the lobby smelled fresh and wonderful....but when we got off the elevator to the 3rd floor, the smell of SMOKE bowled us over!!! When we first got into our room, the room smelled ok, no smoke. So we left shortly afterwards to have dinner with friends and didn't return until after 11:00. Well, after being back in our room for apprx 30 minutes, that smoke smell began seeping into our room. By the time I went to bed, my eyes were burning and tearing up because of the intense smoke smell. If it hadn't of been so late at night (and we were only staying the one night) I would have demanded another room. It was DISGUSTING!!! I will never stay in this Holiday Inn Express ever again. I realize it IS in the tobacco capitol of the world, but the smoke smell was simply over the top. The worse H.Inn Express I've ever stayed for this one reason.... Having said all this, if you are a smoker, you will probably not mind the horrid smell, so for you, the hotel is most adequate... we did not use the gym or breakfast facilities, so can not comment on those. If you are a nonsmoker, stay AWAY!! All we wanted to do is get out of there in the morning!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debmills
Just wanted to inform you that we have heard our non smoking guests complaints. As we complete our entire building renovation, we have converted our smoking rooms to non-smoking rooms. We have also displayed signage to indicate that we are now a 100% smoke free hotel. I would ask that if you are satisfied with our change to all non-smoking that you please remove this low rated review.