“Worth the drive from Greensboro”
Review of Old Europe - CLOSED

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I read a review of this restaurant in our local paper and it looked interesting. We like German food ---me more than my wife--- and the review gave it four stars, so we thought we would try it.

We went with another couple on a Saturday night and were seated right away. We did have reservations, but they probably wouldn't have been needed because it wasn't that crowded. The atmosphere is casual with some German decorations. More importantly, the menu was much more extensive than I expected and the beer menu was outstanding. This is the first restaurant in NC where I have seen Spaten Optimator served. Unfortunately, they did not have any of their selections on tap and I didn't bother with the wine list this time.

I ordered Hungarian Goulash, my wife got Wiener Schnitzel and our friends ordered Beef Roulades and Knockwurst. Our salads were served promptly and though they were simple, they were delicious.

Now the main courses arrived after 15-20 minutes or so and they were outstanding. We all sampled some of everyones and I must say that the goulash was the favorite, but all the dishes were great: well prepared, quality ingredients and fresh. We also had spaetzel, sauerkraut, red cabbage, potato salad, homemade bread and plenty of mustard.

After our main course we had desserts and they were equally excellent. Apple strudel of course, a pear tart, a French apple tart and a chocolate tart. All were wonderfully tasty.

We will definitely return and would highly recommend Old Europe to anyone in the Piedmont-Triad seeking top quality German food. (I just hope that there are enough people in the Triad area who enjoy German food to keep them in business.)

1  Thank Joe B

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The chef does a great job of being true to his roots. The food is well prepared with great flavor. Service is always excellent. Love the real German meats. The breads are all made in house and the pastries are the best in the area.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We saw a very good review in a local newspaper, and decided to give it a try. As you enter, you pass a revolving display of beautiful-looking desserts. Atmosphere in the dining room is subdued, but German. Beverage list has many imported Teutonic beers and wines - positive comments on those we ordered. Server was very friendly and knowledgeable. We ordered, and it took 45 minutes to get our food. They comped us a round of drinks to make up for the wait. But when the food arrived, it was WONDERFUL! We had jeager schnitzel, sauerbratten, and the rolled beef -- all excellent. Desserts were as good as they looked in the display case. Try the strudel or the cherry and cheese Danish. Anyway, we were willing to forgive the slow service (fault of the kitchen, not the server) because the food was so terrific. We highly recommend it, but be patient.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Food tasted good and plenty of it.
They also have German bread.
The outside of the restaurant could use a little German style decorating. It looks really drab.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We ate here no too long ago! There were 5 in our party and everyone loved their food! The owner came out and asked how everything was, and we told him! We all ordered different German dishes from the menu and we were not disappointed. It's reasonably priced, and they have many different kinds of beer for those who are looking for that. Check it out, if you like German food, you'll like it here. It's not a real fancy place, but we enjoyed our meal for sure.