“Great casual asian”
Review of Sushi Thai - CLOSED

Sushi Thai
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Has a bit of Thai and Japanese. Had bento, wife had Thai, kid had fried rice. All good. Nice folks. Good service, food good.

There are newer reviews for Sushi Thai

Reviewed March 2, 2011

My friend and I ended up at this restaurant when the other Japanese restaurants on Stratford Rd. were full on a Saturday night. Perhaps the ease of getting a table should have been a warning to us.

I should say at the outset that this negative review is not meant to say anything bad about the people who served us at Sushi Thai. They were all very attentive and helpful. It is just that the food here is not good.

We began with the lettuce wraps. The filler was flavorful enough, though the peanuts dominated the meat, and the "wraps" themselves were quite small pieces of lettuce. I guess someone could see this as a positive in being able to create bite sized portions, but my preference is for a larger wrapper.

I ordered the Thai fried rice, and mackerel and red snapper sushi, and my friend ordered a chicken and vegetable dish off the Japanese menu. My fried race had essentially no flavor - no salt, no spice. The dish was dominated by the many large pieces of raw onion. I have had so many good Thai, Vietnamese, and other fried rices that I was shocked at how bad this one was. My friends chicken and vegetable dish turned out to be the same chicken-zucchini-sweet carrots-orange sauce that you can get at Kimono and any number of other Americanized Japanese restaurants across North Carolina. Flavor was acceptable, but no excitement here.

Based on these two dishes, I came to the conclusion that Sushi Thai is catering to those who want to have "Asian" food, but without a strong Asian flavor profile. If you want bland Asian food, this could be your place.

Last, I have to comment about the sushi. I took a bite of the mackerel and was just overwhelmed by vinegar. I usually eat at least part of my sushi with no soy sauce or wasabi added because I think the quality and flavor of the rice sets good sushi apart. The rice here was terrible. The waitress said the chef had just made the rice (though it was not warm) and may have added too much vinegar. Rather than cutting my losses, I asked if he could just replate it sashimi style, which he did. This time around I was able to taste the mackerel - unfortunately. It was not at all fresh. The meat was tough and almost flaky, like it was cooking itself through some kind of decomposition/fermentation process. I ate only one bite. The red snapper was better, but it still smelled and tasted more "fishy" than fresh raw fish ought to. The whole experience reminded me why I don't eat sushi in North Carolina.