“How did we overlook this?”
Review of Willows Bistro

Willows Bistro
Ranked #16 of 689 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Willows Bistro was a very pleasant recent discovery. I am not sure how long they have been open or why we have missed dining there, but we were able to rectify that oversight on a recent lunch date.

Willows is located near the downtown area in what appears to be a renovated warehouse. While small, the restaurant has a lot of charm. The kitchen is open to the dining room and is surrounded on one side by a small bar. Daily specials are written on a large sign over the bar. Outside seating is available however it looks out over the parking lot so it was not very appealing.

After a lot of deliberation we decided to go with items on the standard menu (please note the menu on the internet is not exactly the one currently in use - I had something picked out that is not on the current menu). Our selections included grilled hanger steak salad, “grilled hanger steak to your liking (rare in our case); with grilled portabella, roasted onions and shaved fontina cheese” and the smoked shrimp risotto, which was actually an appetizer. I asked our server if it would be adequate for lunch and she assured me it would, and it was more than enough. The risotto was just a tiny bit too al dente for me, a minute or two longer in the skillet would have made it perfect, but it was rich and creamy with the shrimp adding just a touch of smokiness.

Willows serves brunch as well as dinner and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was a bit concerned that the noise level at this really attractive bistro might be rather above the threshold of pain, so we got seated toward the back of the restaurant. Good call. The food was great, ditto the wine and service.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

July 24th and 27th my wife and I experinced two of the best dinners ever! In fact, that's why we came back twice in one week . The first night my wife had the salmon special and she said; the best ever. Prepared to perfection with all the great sides to join this great meal. I had never tasted amberjack! WOW! Don't pass on this if it is offered again. The sweet sauce is to die for and the asparagus, well, simply "beautiful"! The 27th, my wife ordered the salomon again! Truly unbelievable...again! I ordered the the fried flounder that was served with another sweet sause that the owner, Will, recommended! Let me tell you this; this flounder is the best dish I have ever eaten! Anywhere in the world!!! And, to beat all, the desserts offered are inpecable! All made in house, local farmers are utilized where ever possible throughout the menu! You gotta try the creme brulee! Seriously, make a reservation as this hidden jewel fills all the tables fast, indoors and outdoors! Ask for Chris, he knows his stuff and will lead you in the correct selections of tasty meals!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We took our son for a birthday dinner while he was at Governor's School at Salem College. We had an early reservation on a Saturday night and were seated right away. The restaurant is in an old train station. They have outside tables and it was a nice night but we chose to sit inside. Our waiter was very attentive and gave us the list of specials. My husband and I choose the scallop appetizer. Yes it was only two scallops but was very good. I had the duck breast which was excellent and my husband and son had the flank steak. Both were cooked perfectly. The only reason this did not get a 5 was that the server neglected to tell us the side vegetable of the day was sauteed beets and zucchini. No one in our family likes beets and the sauce overpowered the zucchini. It would have been nice if we had been given an heads up. Overall a good dinner and we would go back if we are in the area again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

In town for a tennis tournament and looking for good food with some friends. It was Friday night so we took our chance on outdoor or bar seating and got seated outside quickly with a party of 4. Started off with appetizers and had the scallops and mussels. Now I have to say that the two plates sitting next to each other were a shock ... two scallops on a huge plate vs a mound of PEI mussels. After the laughter stopped (we had picked the mussels and our friends the scallops) we dug in and both were delicious. Being an appetizer, the two scallops were not overpriced and were excellent and the mussels were outstanding. Entrees were also great all around (duck breast, several different fish, ...). We had such a great meal that a few days later looking for a brunch spot on Sunday morning we were close by so we stopped in and got seated again quickly outside. The brunch was excellent with a special of the day Belgian waffle, chicken & waffles and the fried green tomato club. Would come back again for sure.

1  Thank GlenW57