“Vegetarian Delight”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Vegetarian Delight”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The owner/chef greeted me nicely just a few minutes before closing, worked to create a meal that met my dietary restrictions (no meat, no wheat), added a HUGE helping of incredible french fries, packaged it all up in minutes. It was delicious, with generous portions.

Visited August 2012

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great Local Flavor”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We live in Old Salem and have been to the Screaming Rooster multiple times. There have been a few visits when we had a server who wasn't on top of her game but overall we've been really pleased with both the food and our experiences there. I'm a vegetarian and love both the black bean burger and garden burger; the tofu thai salad, however, could be improved, as could the veggie scramble. My husband has tried all kinds of meaty menu items and especially likes the bratwurst and the burger. Most recently when I ordered the tofu thai salad and asked for the dressing to be on the side, the server forgot; I didn't make a big deal about it but the manager gave me $2 off the salad which I was excited about. We haven't been for brunch yet as every time we've tried it's been really busy but we think the restaurant is definitely worth a visit!

• Visited July 2012
Kernersville
“should be called screaming customer”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Our drink orders were taken about ten minutes after being seated. It took about 45 minutes for the food to come out. I ordered a cheeseburger and the waitress did not ask how I wanted it cooked. It came out red. The red blood grease made the bun and chips all soggie. Ewww. We didn't get any refills on our drinks. Our waitress was polite but "in another world" and only came to our table once. This is not a big place.The service was bad! My wife wanted to have breakfast here with her mom and I to start of her birthday. Bad choice!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank matt c
Canton OH
“Good food and experience; I'm amazed by the bad reviews?”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our son recently moved to Winston-Salem, and we stayed with him last weekend on our way from Ohio to the beach. We decided to try the Screaming Rooster for Saturday breakfast and had an excellent experience, so much that we might go there again *next* weekend on our way north!

It was fairly busy but we were quickly seated at a table near the front door. Our server was slammed, but she acknowledged us right away and the manager also told us that she'd be right with us and made sure we had silverware, etc. I loved the country rooster decor although that's usually too cutesy for me.

The daily specials were unique and the one I chose was excellent: a french toast made from almond brioche with a syrup made with butter, brown sugar, almond extract, and maybe a hint of maple (not sure about that) for $10 and my husband and son ordered regular egg/toast/bacon combos, all of which came quickly and were hot. the OJ seemed freshly squeezed.

Our server was gracious about a take-home container for me, even running back to the kitchen for a small container with a lid for the syrup--and she brought me an extra full one to take with me.

I'm not sure if previous complaints helped them fix some problems, but really, we had an outstanding breakfast!

• Visited July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Food & service was terrible...”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were attending my cousin's wedding in Old Salem over Memorial Day Weekend and this restaurant was across the street from the hotel where we stayed. We attempted to eat lunch there. From beginning to end, it was not good. The service was really bad. The waitresses were kind of comatose and disconnected. They were also rude. It took 15 minutes to get our ice waters. Then it took another 30 minutes for our food to arrive. My husband ordered an omelette and it was ok. But it took 45 minutes to come out and the restaurant was not full (2 other tables). As a vegetarian, I was excited to see they have a whole section of their menu dedicated to "Meatless" specialities. There was a Thai salad and tofu listed ($10). It sounded great and I ordered it. 45 minutes later, it arrived. It was nothing more than grated carrots, cabbage, and lettuce with a chopped up breaded faux chicken patty (boca burger breaded chicken patty) on top. It was totally disgusting and I still can not figure out how it took 45 minutes for them to make this salad. And how on earth this was their interpretation of a Thai salad. I attempted to order a side of toast, and was told by the waitress that they did not offer "side" orders and that she would have to ask the kitchen if I could order toast. This seriously happened. Anyway, I just wanted to warn folks who might be considering a nice, tasty, quick meal that The Screaming Rooster is not good at all. It's too bad because the space is very nice and the location is great being right across from a hotel in a quaint part of Old Salem, NC.

• Visited May 2012