“Good food and experience; I'm amazed by the bad reviews?”
Review of The Screaming Rooster - CLOSED

The Screaming Rooster
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Canton OH
“Good food and experience; I'm amazed by the bad reviews?”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our son recently moved to Winston-Salem, and we stayed with him last weekend on our way from Ohio to the beach. We decided to try the Screaming Rooster for Saturday breakfast and had an excellent experience, so much that we might go there again *next* weekend on our way north!

It was fairly busy but we were quickly seated at a table near the front door. Our server was slammed, but she acknowledged us right away and the manager also told us that she'd be right with us and made sure we had silverware, etc. I loved the country rooster decor although that's usually too cutesy for me.

The daily specials were unique and the one I chose was excellent: a french toast made from almond brioche with a syrup made with butter, brown sugar, almond extract, and maybe a hint of maple (not sure about that) for $10 and my husband and son ordered regular egg/toast/bacon combos, all of which came quickly and were hot. the OJ seemed freshly squeezed.

Our server was gracious about a take-home container for me, even running back to the kitchen for a small container with a lid for the syrup--and she brought me an extra full one to take with me.

I'm not sure if previous complaints helped them fix some problems, but really, we had an outstanding breakfast!

• Visited July 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Food & service was terrible...”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were attending my cousin's wedding in Old Salem over Memorial Day Weekend and this restaurant was across the street from the hotel where we stayed. We attempted to eat lunch there. From beginning to end, it was not good. The service was really bad. The waitresses were kind of comatose and disconnected. They were also rude. It took 15 minutes to get our ice waters. Then it took another 30 minutes for our food to arrive. My husband ordered an omelette and it was ok. But it took 45 minutes to come out and the restaurant was not full (2 other tables). As a vegetarian, I was excited to see they have a whole section of their menu dedicated to "Meatless" specialities. There was a Thai salad and tofu listed ($10). It sounded great and I ordered it. 45 minutes later, it arrived. It was nothing more than grated carrots, cabbage, and lettuce with a chopped up breaded faux chicken patty (boca burger breaded chicken patty) on top. It was totally disgusting and I still can not figure out how it took 45 minutes for them to make this salad. And how on earth this was their interpretation of a Thai salad. I attempted to order a side of toast, and was told by the waitress that they did not offer "side" orders and that she would have to ask the kitchen if I could order toast. This seriously happened. Anyway, I just wanted to warn folks who might be considering a nice, tasty, quick meal that The Screaming Rooster is not good at all. It's too bad because the space is very nice and the location is great being right across from a hotel in a quaint part of Old Salem, NC.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank GeorgiaScout
“Slow service and average food.”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Called ahead and were told they would take our name and work us in. When we arrived we were told they were very busy and it would be awhile and they don't take reservations. Once seated, it took 15 minutes to get drinks. The waitress remarked, "it's been so long since I took your order, I forget who gets what". It took another 45 minutes to get food. I had cranberry walnut French toast. It came with ABSOLUTELY nothing! My friends' meals were okay. When the owner/manager asked how things were, we told him the service was terribly slow and he said "We're doing the best we can with a small kitchen." He was unapologetic. IHOP probably would have been faster and had the same quality food.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank kswau
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Would not recommend.”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Waited over an hour for our food when the restaurant was not busy. Our waitress was inadequate and seemed bothered by us.

2 Thank TeacherTammy
North Carolina
“Very good dinner”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Had dinner on a Friday night and it was quiet and very good. I had the black bean burger, which came on a pita with lots of veggies and was delicious! Pasta salad side was also quite tasty. Our waitress was young and polite and friendly.
The food took a long time to come out but it was worth the long wait.
Pretty good sized wine list and a limited but interesting selection of beer.
Would return for sure! We enjoyed meeting the owner and chatti g with waitstaff. Nice that there wasn't a wait for a seat, even though we were downtown on a Friday.