“Hampton Inn University Winston Salem NC”

Hampton Inn & Suites Winston-Salem / University Area
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Hampton Inn University Winston Salem NC”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great hotel with exceptional management and staff.Hotel is clean with a great location. I have stayed there on numerous occasions and have always had an exceptional experience Morning cafe has a wonderful food and again with great service I had a knee injury and the staff fixed my plate with no asking It is obvious that the hotel has a fabulous manager and all employees work together as a team Definitley the best hotel in Winston Salem

Room Tip: King suites are roomy~!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Summer C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Winston-Salem / University Area, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about our hotel! I’m glad that you were able to enjoy our breakfast in the morning, and I’m glad that our staff took good care of you with your injury. I have also injured my knee in the past, and you don’t realize how important it is until you can’t use it! We are working hard to form a team environment, and I’m excited you were able to see that in action. We hope that when visiting the area again you will choose our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This property has everything we have come to expect and appreciate from Hampton Inns. The hotel is new or recently updated, the room is clean (and smells clean), and the beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is clean, there are plenty of towels, and the shower is hot. Breakfast is typical for this hotel brand. The dining area is nicer than most and the staff provided "to go" bags, too. The gym is small but the machines are in good condition and they provide water and earphones (individual TV's are provided on the treadmills and elypticals). Are you visiting Wake Forest? This hotel is a good choice -- only 10 minutes away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Summer C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Winston-Salem / University Area, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I’m glad you enjoyed your trip when visiting our hotel! We strive to provide excellent accommodations to each and every guest! Thank you for taking a moment to let other travelers know about your experience. Our property is the newest in the market and, we just celebrated its 3 year anniversary this past week! We hope that when visiting Winston Salem you will visit us again! Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! We love Having You here!
Wise, Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked late in the week and this was the one hotel in town that could accommodate our family of five in one room with a refrigerator and microwave. The cost was high but that is what happens when you do not book ahead.

The staff at this hotel is very friendly and they do their jobs.

The pantry has the normal selection of convenience items for a relatively decent price. Of course, you pay more for your pop and ice cream than you would at the Mall-Wart up the street, but you do not have to leave the building. $2 for a pop at a hotel is not bad at all.

The room was clean and once we got our additional towels (there are never enough towels when we check in anywhere and I always have to go to the desk to get more) we were good to go.

The television and refrigerator did their jobs. The "freezer" was a glorified refrigerator that makes ice cream into a thin milkshake that is safe to drink. This is not a complaint because all of these compact fridges are like that and I knew what would happen when my daughter put her ice cream in it. If you want frozen, you have to find a place with the full-size fridge. The fridge did keep our milk and lemonade at a good cold temperature. That is all I can ask.

The beds were comfortable.

The breakfast was satisfactory and the staff was very friendly. They went to get a blueberry muffin for one of my daughters and were happy to do so. They tried to keep things stocked even when it was busy. The oatmeal was superb. Thick oatmeal, not watered down soup. Add milk and sweetener and it is great. For those who want watered down soup for oatmeal, you will be disappointed. I was happy to see thick oatmeal for once. The other hot items were a bit limited and if you are like me and do not eat cheese in your breakfast food, it can be even more limited as they once had potatoes, meat and cheese all mixed together.

I was not turned off by the breakfast though. The oatmeal was good and they had Lucky Charms (not some generic crap), life cereal (genuine also) and some other healthy cereal that I will not eat. They had a fridge with plenty of milk inside and the sugar/splenda was easy to find and kept stocked.

The fitness center was disappointing for me. The treadmills had individual TVs with headphones required to hear anything. I ended up walking the community (safe area) because I did not have headphones. Also the fitness center was only open from 6 a.m. to midnight. I understand the pool being closed. However the fitness center is not a place where there should be limited hours.

The laundry was also only open 6-midnight. When I travel, I usually only can do laundry at 1 a.m. after the kids go to sleep.

The pool was understandably closed at 10 p.m. and it was very clean. The water was warm and we got a great amount of enjoyment there. We only swam once but we would have gone back had our schedules allowed. Very good job with the pool.

I will come back. However I will look to see if I can find connecting rooms or a suite before I book the two queens again. My three "little" ones are growing up and where we used to sleep well on two queen beds, it is now not nearly as comfortable. Also my oldest daughter will want a bed to herself, without siblings, as she will soon be double digit age. If this hotel has connecting rooms, I will consider it, but at $230-260 a night for two rooms, I think I will find better value elsewhere.

If I were ever in town by myself on business, I would book a room for myself if nothing comparable but less expensive were available.

In Winston-Salem, there does seem to be a shortage of hotels that allow families to stay in one room comfortably. This hotel tries and mostly succeeds in meeting our needs. I just think that for a QQ room, what was paid (average of $135 per night when taxes are considered) was high. However they are in a seller's market as they do not have much comparable competition, especially when you book late.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to every guest. Thank you for being so detailed with your review! It really helps the staff understand the importance of providing such great service. I'm glad you enjoyed our amenities such as the pool and the breakfast. Hampton has not been serving the Oatmeal very long maybe right at a year, and it has been a huge success! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it! We hope that when visiting the area again you will visit with us longer! Thank you again for taking the time to let other travelers and our staff know exactly how we are doing! We Love Having You Here!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a very nice Hampton Inn. My room was nice and spacious. It had a large room divider that doubled as a work table and counter which was a nice touch. Lobby area was nicely laid out for work and breakfast and had the look of a much more expensive hotel. The Staff was very friendly and efficient. Breakfast on time and good. Hamptons don’t tend to have a lot of selection, but they are consistent with quality and menu and this one was true to form. Room was comfortable and clean. They wash ALL the linens for every guest. It is in an area with lots of shopping and restaurants so finding a place to eat is not problem. If I return to the area I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Summer C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Winston-Salem / University Area, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for visiting Winston Salem and thank you for visiting our hotel while in the area. We strive to provide excellent service and accommodations for each and every guest. It sounds like you were able to enjoy one of our suites! They are very spacious and great for leisure or business! I am also a raving Hampton Fan, and love that it is a brand standard to wash the linen after every guest! This is such an important part of our brand and believe it or not some of our guests are not aware that we do that! Thank you for being a valued customer, and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed our short stay from the moment we entered the beautiful lobby until we left. Room was very clean and fresh. We did have a little problem getting the heat to come on. It was blowing out cold air. However, once it warmed up. . . it warmed up. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for visiting our hotel and letting other travelers know about your experience. We hope that you will come and visit us again soon. We love having you here!
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel is rated #1 in the Winston Salem area, but on our recent visit we came to the conclusion it is living on past glories. The rooms are typical Hampton, which is fine, but our suite was "tired", with tatty fittings and slightly dirty looking. The suite had a fridge and microwave, but no cutlery or crockery, which seemed pretty pointless. The public areas like the elevators were also dirty. The staff were friendly as everyone says. Breakfast was good. The pool and fitness area were adequate. Overall, we expected more of such a well reviewed place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers and us know how we are doing. Although you may have experience great service and enjoyed our breakfast selection, it appears that we may have fallen short during your visit to our hotel. I would love to discuss your visit to the area and our property with you. We are always looking for ways to improve our property and provide the best possible experience for travelers. Please contact me at your convenience 336-377-3000. I look forward to speaking with you soon!
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Winston-Salem. From the moment we stepped foot in the door, we were greeted with warm hospitality. The front desk attendant granted our request for an upgrade to a suite with no reservations. Each time we walked throught the lobby to enter or leave the hotel, we received a warm greeting from the front desk attendant. We were given printed directions when we inquired if there was a mall nearby, and they directed us to a very nice mall in Winston-Salem! The breakfast attendant, Lee, was awesome! She was very friendly and accomodating to the guests as we had our breakfast. Our stay was excellent. The room was very clean and the bed was oh so comfortable!! I highly recommend this hotel, and if we are ever traveling through Winston-Salem, NC in the future, we will be sure to stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Winston-Salem!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Summer C, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Winston-Salem / University Area, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! I’m glad you enjoyed your experience at our property. We pride ourselves on friendly service and clean accommodations. I always tell the staff when a guest can remember your name you made an impact on their stay. Leigh our breakfast attendant was able to do that with you! I will be sure to pass along your rave reviews about her service! She really does pride herself on making sure our guests enjoy their breakfast experience. Thank you for letting other travelers know about our hotel.