“Nice, as expected”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, OH
“Nice, as expected”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was a very nice hotel of its kind, no unpleasant surprises at all. Unfortunately, I'm writing this review a couple of months after my actual stay, so the details are fuzzy, but it was all fine. Two people, my wife and me.

The breakfast was ok, not stellar. I will say that we were in the hotel for a wedding, and there was another wedding group also staying there, and I think a girl's sports team of some kind, so breakfast tended to be kind of crowded, but it was ok.

I do recall that the room (suite, right?) is broken into two areas that are actually independently usable, i.e. you could go into the other room and sit on the sofa while someone else was sleeping in the main bedroom area. That's a nice feature. I don't remember if they had a second tv in the sitting area. Our room was on the side of the building not facing the main road, so we had a nice view of a treed area, very pleasant.

We didn't use the pool, so I have no opinion about that.

We didn't interact with the staff much (which is how I prefer my hotel stays, frankly), but they were pretty helpful at certain points...in particular, they were helpful when we asked for directions to various places in town, and they cheerfully made some copies for me of some written out directions to a particular place.

This hotel is in the Hanes Mall area, to the west of downtown Winston-Salem. There's a lot of shopping centers etc. We drove around for a couple of days and I don't think I ever saw the Mall itself, but you know it's in there somewhere. This hotel is across a major road (Hanes Mall Blvd.) from the shopping center with the Target in it. It's up the hill behind some other things, including a Hooters. There's a 5 guys and I think a Panera within easy walking distance, some other restaurants a little further but we still walked to them, and you don't have to cross the big road to get to them. And the Hooters. Anyway, you don't need to starve.

As far a location and getting around: there's a lot of shopping centers, and you can easily get bogged down in traffic, so it really helps to have a good map. A particular warning: we drove in from the north (US52 from Virginia), and our GPS put us onto Stratford Rd./US421 much much earlier than was really necessary, and it goes right by the Mall (apparently) and is pretty much stop and go on Saturdays and probably at other times too. I would recommend looking at a map or Googlemaps or something, and picking a route that keeps you on the freeways as long as possible. You get get on Stratford Rd. directly from I-40 in both directions, and there are other routes too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank zipt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Maine
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Stayed here for five nights while in NC for the Highpoint furniture show. It was a good choice with good, attentive staff. The breakfast was more than adequate, not five star, but that was not expected either. The room layout was well designed, everything very clean and fresh. No bathtub in the room (a large shower), which we would perhaps have used, and no hot-tub by the pool. If I were to make any improvement that would be my suggestion.
Overall, excellent for our needs. Will definitely consider again for a future visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank leavinghomeMaine
1000 Islands, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed at the Springhill Suites while attending the High Point Furniture Market. My wife loved the 1960's inspired interior design and we found the hotel a relaxing place after a long day at the trade show.

The Hanes Mall neighborhood is a great location for business travelers, just off the Interstate, about 15 minutes from the airport. It offers good shopping and a nice selection of upscale, independent restaurants. (We particularly enjoyed Bleu)

The property was completely booked and handled the full house with grace, from the front desk to housekeeping to the breakfast service. The business center with a computer, printer, phone and comfortable chair proved a god-send in handling a messed up airline reservation.

It met all that standards for cleanliness we'd expect from a Marriott property. Personally, I liked the location a bit away from the interstate without spotlights illuminating the facade and glaring into the room. Finally - the price was great considering the demand for rooms during Market Week.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 1000Islands
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed October 17, 2011

A little hard to locate but well worth it. They need more signage! Separate sitting area in room, best TV ever in a hotel - large flatscreen with great picture. Beds and linens very good. No tub but large shower. Hot breakfast and FRESH fruit salad. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank cagdky
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Very nice place to stay. Very clean...hellpful and friendly staff...great breakfast.
Close to shopping and restaurant and just off the interstate.
Just wish they had beds available larger than a double.

Room Tip: Call ahead to secure a room with a bed larger than a double.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GmaSandra
Asheville, NC
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I love Spring HIll Suites, We stay in them all the time. Clean is our biggest requirement and this one stood up to our expectations. Wonderful Friendly service and GREAT breakfast! Nice clean small indoor pool. Overall it was a fine place to stay.

Only complaint was that the rooms were not up to standard of other Springhill Suites we have stayed at. This hotel seemed small. Too much wasted space in room to have only double beds. Queen size is a must for us but we knew what we had reserved. Bathroom was like any other hotel. No WOW there and lastly, it seems there was not much soundproofing in this hotel. I heard those above and noise in the next room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank thecastelfamily
north carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family stayed at Springhill Suites near Hanes mall in August. We wanted to stay somewhere close to Hanging rock SP. This Springhill offered reasonable rates, clean accomodations, breakfast and a great location. It's only 40 min from Hanging Rock and right down the street from shopping and dining which was nice after hiking all day!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family