“Great place to stay!”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The staff is more than accomodating, the rooms are standard but more than adequate, and the breakfast menu is really good (the usual continental fare, plus eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc...). It's a hop, skip, and a jump to the Wake Forest campus, and you can walk to the football and/or basketball games across the street. Also, it's a short drive to downtown Winston-Salem (5 minutes) where there is always plenty to do. I haven't tried the food yet, but the bar was fun. They usually have bands or late night events on Friday's and Saturday's. Oh yeah, they have a spa and wellness center which looks really good. My daughter wanted a facial, but we didn't have the time..maybe next visit!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I was an outside vendor (DJ Service) hired to provide entertainment for a High School Class Reunion. The wait staff and kitchen staff were excellant. The in-house catering and food was delicious. I highly recommend this facility for your next conference, business or personal function.

Although I was an outside vendor, the staff at the Sundance Plaza made me feel welcomed and "right at home". There was a lady running the kitchen staff named Edith that was excellant in all that she did that evening.

Thank you Sundance!
Pa-Zazz Entertainment

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear guests:
You made my and certainly our employees day - thank you!
Also, thank you for staying with us and for your review.
We strive to meet and exceed all guests expectations and love hearing that we met our goal.
I will share your feed back with the staff and let them know "Job well done".

Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed for 8 days and it was one of the BEST trips we have taken. Went to Wake Forest football game and the hotel staff was very professional and pleasant. Breaksfasts were excellent. The room was well decorated and bvery clean. Will stay there everytime we visit Winston-Salem. Recxommend to anyone looking for a quality property with very professional staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear guests:
You made our day - thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. We do strive to meet and exceed all guests expectations and feel very happy to hear that we met our goal. i will share your feed back with the staff and let them know "Job well done".

Reviewed July 12, 2010

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!!!. I don't know why some feel that this is a great place to stay. My husband and I even got a discount on this place and it still wan't worth it!!!!! First of all, It's a old hotel, they tried to remodel. It is a roach infested hotel. We even found a dead one in our room....CAN I SAY DISGUSTING. When we got to the desk to check in, the front desk person acted as though he didn't know what to do or how to tell us to get to our room. Once we got to our room, our keys wouldn't work. My husband had to go back down to the front desk and get him. He comes back to our room and on the way tries our keys on another room, and then says to my husband, oh this is not your room. Comes to our room finally tries the keys which don't work & he already knows that. So he leaves to go back downstairs and remake our keys. Same problem the very next night. Next problem. It stinks in the hotel, the elevators are so small only people can get into it at one time. Next MAJOR PROBLEM IN MY BOOK is that when the toilet paper was empty, the maid, instead of putting a new roll in the bathroom, gave us a almost used up roll from someone elses room. MUST I GO ON. I COULDN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS CESSPOOL!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. It is clear that we failed our goal with you. However, every review will be shared with the relevant staff, management and myself. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Please call me to when making arrangements for a future trip to our city and I will make it my business to point out the corrective action we have taken.
Again – thank you for your review

Reviewed July 7, 2010

The staff went above and beyond to accommodate our large group. The provided us extra tables (without our asking) for our cookout. They allowed us the use of a large room to watch the World Cup. They didn't have a large screen tv, but contacted Rent a Center to bring one in. They opened the bar early for our gathering as well. I have praised their staff to everyone. They will take care of you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Dear guests:
Wow wow wow -You made our day - thank you!
Please share your experience with many travelers as you do when you post this review.

Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed here as a convenient base while rock climbing/hiking in Hanging Rock State Park (too hot to camp already!).

The hotel has a lot of neat artwork, and boasts an onsite spa and a swimming pool, as well as some small gardens that kids probably enjoy playing in. We didn't use the outdoor pool or spa, but the pool looked very clean. The hotel was very clean and pleasant, and the front desk staff was extremely friendly. Bed was comfy and room was a good size. Old-style television set.

The free breakfast was very good for a freebie - much better than Days Inn and some of the others. Also, there is a fridge and microwave in all the rooms.

The only problem we had here was a problem getting a wake up call - it came at 4:30 a.m. instead of 6:30, which was no fun. The front desk guy on staff when we put in the wake up call request said he was new though.

Also, no one seemed to know when breakfast began. We were told 7 am on the phone when we made the reservation, but the sign in the elevator said 8, and the front desk person said 8:30. The next day, we had similar ambiguous answers about when breakfast began. Fortunately we never did get up super early in the morning, so the breakfast was available when we got down there. The breakfast staff person was very friendly as well.

It's not in the poshest part of town for a hotel with a spa...I believe there is a pawn shop very nearby. We drove a bit to get to some nicer restaurants. The IHOP next door was very quiet but had friendly service. There is a restaurant onsite, but I think it's only open certain days. They have live jazz at the hotel on Fridays apparently through the summer as well (but we weren't there for that).

The hotel is very, very close to Wake Forest University though if you are traveling there. About 25 minutes to Hanging Rock State Park.

I really enjoyed my stay there, and would stay there again. This is sort of a quirky place in terms of the focus on artwork, the very friendly staff, and the sort of relaxed take on things like wake up calls and breakfast times...it reminded me of some of the places I've stayed when travelling abroad. It's sort of halfway between a bed and breakfast feel in its unique character, and a hotel in size and facilities.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear guests:
Well said!!! - thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I will share your feed back with the staff and let them know "Job well done".

Reviewed March 31, 2010

Reserved two beds and non smoking. When checking in we received one king bed and a smoking room. Manager would not make concessions or adjustments and was very rude and dishonest. Management finally said they would make and process adjustments to the room charges, however he never did and flat out lying to the reservation processing companies and others. Don't waste you time or money here, find another hotel who appreciates your business and has honest management and customer service.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, even when we are called dishonest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. It is clear that we failed our goal with you. However, every review will be shared with the relevant staff, management and myself. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Again – thank you for your review